Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:17 pm 

I have a flexy amp stand that uses two 5/8" thick 16" x 48" mdf boards for each shelf. I am thinking of painting it black to match my other two sand filled Sanus stands. But before I do that I would like to sandwich a different material between the boards to increase their strength and improve on damping. Luckily I didn't glue them together so I can just take them apart.

What material should I use? Pine boards are readily available but what else could I use? Nothing too exotic like granite as I need to drill 5 holes in them.

Attachment:
amp stand.jpg
amp stand.jpg [ 818.26 KiB | Viewed 1932 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:10 am 

Baltic birch?

Personally, I'd use the birch instead of the pine, as plywood has natural damping built in, while dimensional lumber does not. Just trim the edges with something nice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:04 am 

My main flexi (built in 1994) has pine 2x6's laminated together as the "boards".

My mini flexi (built for DAC's, outboard power supplies, outboard hard drives etc) is built with 1 inch baltic birch.

Both work just fine for their intended purpose.

I often mix baltic and mdf in speaker builds.

I would use baltic birch if you can find it locally to laminate your existing rack panels.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:05 am 

Not that I'm an expert but from reading several articles on the subject over the past 30 years or so, I'd suggest thin layers of material with contrasting stiffness and density, such high-density foam, thin sheet metal, or sorbothane. Each time a vibration passes from one density to the next it becomes attenuated. None of the above materials should pose a problem for drilling holes.
Other opinions may differ . . .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 am 

Baltic birch seems to be the material of choice but there is no reason I can't add more than one layer. There is about 4" of space above my Jeff Rowland model 5 amp (pretty tall) so I can add more than one layer. I am going to Winnipeg tomorrow and see what I can find. I never thought of using metal but as a layer with different density it makes sense. The same with the high density foam. Thanks for the ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:12 am 

Hi Albert,

You likely know the city well and what's here but Windsor Plywood (especially the Century location) usually has a pretty good selection...their sister store on Pembina also may have decent stock but with all the construction on Pembina these days I avoid it like the plague :D

You could always call them first -

Century - (204) 786-5555
Pembina - (204) 269-9114

Good luck with your project!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:57 am 

Winter_vinyl wrote:
Not that I'm an expert but from reading several articles on the subject over the past 30 years or so, I'd suggest thin layers of material with contrasting stiffness and density, such high-density foam, thin sheet metal, or sorbothane. Each time a vibration passes from one density to the next it becomes attenuated. None of the above materials should pose a problem for drilling holes.
Other opinions may differ . . .

+1
As usual, there is no limit to what you could do.
Gluing your existing shelf to baltic birch would stiffen the shelves and do a great job of dampening.
Keep it simple.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:02 pm 

Noob question but why birch and not maple?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:33 pm 

If the question is about why baltic birch plywood - it has less to do with the birch and more to do with being void free.

IF you can find void free plywood with other "skin" I am sure it would the same.

I don't often see it other than the traditional baltic birch. Perhaps there are some marine grade ply's that use other veneers.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:33 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

This idea may be out there a bit but there is this product I happened on and a few of the locals snagged some from me to use as a dampening material for (among other things) amp stands.
And it works really well - really!

It's called SpecSeal Putty Pads (https://www.stifirestop.com/products/ss ... top-putty/)

I got it at an auction of a Home Theatre install business that had failed - and ended up with several cases of it. A touch costly at about $6 a sheet (18x18cm per sheet) - but it does a heckuva' job.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:33 pm 

Perhaps use some "Green Glue" between layers. It came down in price considerably a year or 2 ago.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:18 pm 

I would sandwich or laminate a rubber material shuch as roofing rolls that has one sticky side they use at bottom of roof line
it is also about how the shelf attaches to the supports. rubber or neoprene or pieces of truck tire inner tube for the shelf clip/support. Truck tire repair places throw old tube out all day long.

Good luck

Last edited by speedy1 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:36 am 

If going to all that trouble, you may wish to consider build the shelf as a sand-box.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 am 

I have heard of sandbox stands for turntables but I haven't heard of one for amp stands. I am sure it would work even with 350 lb of amps on it.

Adding an extra layer between the two shelves shouldn't be that difficult as I am planning on painting it anyway. I was in a hurry in Winnipeg yesterday so I only made it to home depot. I couldn't find baltic birch so I got 18 mm g1s fir plywood instead. I know it has voids but since it is going to be sandwiched between two pieces of mdf it should still work. Maybe not as well as baltic birch but I am not making speaker cabinets, it should be fine for my amp stand. If I ever get around to making a tuba ht horn sub, I will definitely use baltic birch plywood.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:44 pm 

Sandboxes have worked for my SS gear in the past. I cannot be certain though, if I was hearing bias, as opposed to reality.