Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:06 pm
Posts: 8
Location: Chilliwack, BC, CA
Hey there, I'm an electrician and have a bunch of good quality wire kicking around and thought it would be fun to try making my own version of "audiophile" speaker cable. Right now I'm just running 14/2 speaker wire from my Parasound Halo A23 to a pair of Dynaudio Focus 160. I can't possibly ever imagine spending the kind of money some of you guys have on buying high end cables. I see power cords for $750, "audiophile" grade AC receptacles etc etc... And I have to say, unless you are re-building your entire circuit wiring back to the panel out of solid gold, I don't understand the desire to blow money on something that will ultimately be bottlenecked by your home power supply.

Anyways, chuck your stones at my ignorance, but I would still like to know if any of you have done your own twisted or braided speaker wire and if you noticed any difference at all in the results, when you aren't powering something that requires more than 200 watts.

And if you have done it, I'll be using 14 AWG stranded copper speaker wire, obviously with either 2 or 4 wires terminating into banana jacks, so what kind of jacks did you terminate with and where did you get them?

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:18 am
Posts: 4399
Location: Surrey , BC, CA
welcome......


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:38 am
Posts: 2
Location: Hubley, NS, CA
You could try cat5 or 6 type diy speaker wire. If you search on line you will find lots of info on how it's been done. Cat 5 wires are 24g. Doubling the number of wires subtracts 3 from the gauge number so 8 wires is 15 gauge, 16 is 12 etc. I'm with you on the 150$ wall plugs etc. If I have a loose or old duplex receptacle I replace it with a spec grade one and I'm done.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:18 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Thornhill, ON, CA
I bought nice cable all around except speaker cables.

Used 14ga. LOFC from Sayal to make nice bi-wire cables wrapped in black mesh loom with shrink wrap pants and gold plated bananas. Total cost not much more than $50 For 2-6' ones. And they look great. YMMV

_________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'
No matter how much water you can soak up with a sponge, you can always break a window with a hammer!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm
Posts: 1643
Location: saskatoon, SK, CA
try these:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-yo ... er-cables/

and a few on diyaudio

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/Low-I ... er-Cables/

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/DIY-B ... er-Cables/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:35 pm
Posts: 337
Location: Wetaskiwin, AB, CA
Here you go:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10788
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10495
https://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html
http://www.theanalogdept.com/hd14.htm

Lots more DIY online if you go looking.

Good Luck and Happy Listening
John


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:57 pm
Posts: 209
Location: Etobicoke, ON, CA
hey "B savvy" I am an Electrician(IBEW)as well - I used TEW 105 degree # 14 AWG very flexible high strand count fixture wire that was left over after a large fluorescent fixture job, got my kids from summer camp to weave it - great around ad the price was free !!

cheers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:02 am
Posts: 166
Location: Cornwall, ON, CA
I'm using cat 6 twisted wire 4 wires per speaker covered in tech flex terminated in banana plugs.. Looks good and did make a small improvement in the sound. All in about $100. There was a diy website where the guy tested various wires and found twisted was better than braided, can't remember the site but I'm sure you could find it with a bit of searching.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:23 pm
Posts: 253
Location: toronto, ON, CA
I too am an electrician . Back in the day, probably 13 years ago I made the Cat 5e version and they turned out great. The link to go to is https://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html . 6e cable would of course work as well but in either case make sure to get the enhanced version with shielding on the pairs. Try to make the shortest cable needed as it will be slightly higher in capacitance per foot than many cables plus of course it reduces the labour time. I found the most difficult part was the terminations so follow the instructions religiously . From memory you'll end up with an equivalent wire size of 13 gauge which is more than sufficient. Also when tinning the ends together I would recommend you use silver solder .


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:02 am
Posts: 166
Location: Cornwall, ON, CA
http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-revie ... le-faceoff
This is the site I was talking about.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 1:19 pm
Posts: 175
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
Welcome full room of electricians, the last people on the planet I'd expect to believe in brading or twisting speaker wires. AND none is asking about the length and gage. Have a close friend who is Master electrician as well. Told him to put decent (at least 12 gage) wire to hook up his amp (1.6kW), he said no the 18 gage is fine. After quick calc in my head, told him, about 30 Amps at full output!
He upgraded the cables quickly. No, he did not twist them or braided them. He used the knowledge from his field of expertise. Ohms law applies to high end audio like anywhere else, IMHO;-)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:23 pm
Posts: 253
Location: toronto, ON, CA
Bandy wrote:
Welcome full room of electricians, the last people on the planet I'd expect to believe in brading or twisting speaker wires. AND none is asking about the length and gage. Have a close friend who is Master electrician as well. Told him to put decent (at least 12 gage) wire to hook up his amp (1.6kW), he said no the 18 gage is fine. After quick calc in my head, told him, about 30 Amps at full output!
He upgraded the cables quickly. No, he did not twist them or braided them. He used the knowledge from his field of expertise. Ohms law applies to high end audio like anywhere else, IMHO;-)

I think we were talking about speaker cable not power cords. The braiding is for dealing with inductance and capacitance issues affecting frequency response though for shorter lengths this isn't overly critical - doesn't cost any more to braid so why not? Plus braiding bundles of smaller gauge wires results in lower resistance over all , not a bad thing either but not so critical as in power cords feeding power to large power amps - of course plugged into dedicated circuits using decent size conductors backed by the appropriate breakers. No snake oil here, just common sense .


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:55 pm 
Offline
Dealer/Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:14 am
Posts: 1216
Location: Davidson, SK, CA
For termination, the QED airloc ends are fantastic, they cold weld onto the ends of the wire.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

_________________
Davidson Home Audio Designs


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:23 pm
Posts: 253
Location: toronto, ON, CA
Forbes_2 wrote:
For termination, the QED airloc ends are fantastic, they cold weld onto the ends of the wire.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Good suggestion for any speaker cable.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 1:19 pm
Posts: 175
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
MHoyle wrote:
Bandy wrote:
Welcome full room of electricians, the last people on the planet I'd expect to believe in brading or twisting speaker wires. AND none is asking about the length and gage. Have a close friend who is Master electrician as well. Told him to put decent (at least 12 gage) wire to hook up his amp (1.6kW), he said no the 18 gage is fine. After quick calc in my head, told him, about 30 Amps at full output!
He upgraded the cables quickly. No, he did not twist them or braided them. He used the knowledge from his field of expertise. Ohms law applies to high end audio like anywhere else, IMHO;-)

I think we were talking about speaker cable not power cords. The braiding is for dealing with inductance and capacitance issues affecting frequency response though for shorter lengths this isn't overly critical - doesn't cost any more to braid so why not? Plus braiding bundles of smaller gauge wires results in lower resistance over all , not a bad thing either but not so critical as in power cords feeding power to large power amps - of course plugged into dedicated circuits using decent size conductors backed by the appropriate breakers. No snake oil here, just common sense .


I WAS talking about speaker wire NOT power cords. The braiding for dealing with inductance and capacitance is questionable at best.
Some high-end cable manufacturers do it some not. Sonic results are not conclusive. Further more, braiding requires longer cable (straight cable is shorter than braided) = higher resistance.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group