Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:18 am 

Hello, I've done some searching but haven't come up with much aside from really terrible youtube videos by kids that don't know much.

I have a fantastic sub, JBL W10GTi MKII, and want to make a sealed powerhouse out of it for my home theatre. It takes a lot of juice and I'd like to power it with a 750-1000 watt PSU.
I built a gaming PC a while back and I'd like to use a similar PSU that I put in there (EVGA 1000 watt platinum series) but the fan is a little noisy. I know how to do the wiring but my concern is extra noise from a power supply.

I've looked into power supplies from "Be Quiet" but they're extremely expensive in comparison, and I haven't heard them personally to compare how quiet they actually are. I have used their fans when making an active cooling system for our concealed equipment cabinet, so that's kind of what I was thinking, but hiding the PSU inside a cabinet... then adding silent fans... leaving gaps where the PSU fan noise could be heard from... anyways i'm going down a rabbit hole.

So anyone that's built their own, was yours noisy and what did you do to accommodate it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:14 am 

If it is a car sub then it only needs 12volts. I'd just buy a transformer. A PC power supply generally delivers 12, 5, & 3.3 volts and its max wattage is the sum of all those potential loads.

A quick check of Amazon.com shows an AC to 12 volt (15 amp) transformer for 40$ USD - and the comments show folk using it with higher draw devices. Might be a cheaper alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-1216-12V-Power-Converter/dp/B0066COXY0/ref=sr_1_14/134-5857027-6090947?tag=neoseeker09-20" target="_blank">https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-1216- ... verter+12v

PS: Likely if you check your sub manufacturer's site they will tell you how much wattage you need (volts x amps = watts) - although I suspect you already know that but I toss it in just in case. Best of luck and let us know how it works out!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:42 am 

The sub does not need 12 volt's, The car amp that would likely power the sub need's 12 volt's and current and amp's. A used home amp or pro amp would be a better choice in my mind than messing around powering a car amp in your house.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:55 am 

I assumed a powered sub (like an old school bazooka sub) or he was trying to reuse a car amp. But yeah - if it is a raw sub then a cheap and cheerful AC powered amp would do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:01 am 

Manual download here for box dimensions.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/284735/Jbl-W10gti.html

Then you need a sub amp (not the PSU you are referring to). Examples from Solen.
https://solen.ca/product-category/electronics/subwoofer-amplifiers/

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:19 am 

Wow, what a dummy I am! Haha thanks for the home ac amp tip. I was hoping to use my car amp and save some money but it might just be easiest to buy a proper ac solution.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:30 am 

I tried doing the car amp thing too but soon learned it takes power to make power from a car amp in your house. i have a clarion 15"dvc sub in a ported box on a yorkville ap 4020 amp and a pioneer ht amp. I rented amp's from a local pro shop till i found the one that worked best for what i wanted.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:39 am 

I have used my car sub for back yard parties - powered from home amp - Outdoor speakers mounted on the wall - just added the sub from some added punch! great

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:44 pm 
Premium User

And what do you intend to use as a crossover and EQ facilities?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:55 pm 

Is the sub out on a home theatre amp not crossed over at some point?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:43 pm 

Hi there,

The set up you have in mind (Automotive equipment used in a home environment!) is very strait forward I truly can’t see a problem!

Use a say 'Mean Well' – type Switch Mode Power Supply, build yourself a small (plastic, metal or even MDF) enclosure with lots of air slots for the IN coming & Out going air - dampen the side walls inside even out side if you like, and NO noise from the fan(s) will bother you and available for 12 Volt with high Amperage / Wattage and also to a good price. Do not fritter about switch mode as today’s units are very good filtered and will not give you any problems in your attempt to use automotive audio items.

I have most of my workshop audio equipment running on these with units of 12 V, 24V, 36 V & 48Volt and with high amperage! as well as I do have them in my two Vans for if I have somewhere on trips AC available. There are also all sorts of filtering available if it is needed, but truly I have myself also several linear voltage units 12 V, 24 V & 36 V, filters & cables in my Hi-Fi set up, but we talking here real money to get these as well as I never seen real high wattage units for a project like you intend.

rgs UpperCut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:27 am 

Been around this block before.

Forget finding a power supply to run your car amp in house. None are ideal for that application.
As said above, put that money towards a decent pro amp like Crown, QSC, Behringer, Mackie, Yamaha etc.

Many are quiet and some fanless. Some even have built in crossovers if youre not using your receivers 'sub out'.

Top recommendations:
-Yamaha P2500/5000/7000 (built in crossover and fans that I've never heard turn on)
-Crown K1/K2 (fanless, incredible power/damping)

Currently have 2 JL 12W7's powered by a Crown K2. You'd need to spend mega-bucks to get the equivalent in "high end" home theatre subs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:10 pm 

jerr2501 wrote:
Been around this block before.

Forget finding a power supply to run your car amp in house. None are ideal for that application.
As said above, put that money towards a decent pro amp like Crown, QSC, Behringer, Mackie, Yamaha etc.

Many are quiet and some fanless. Some even have built in crossovers if youre not using your receivers 'sub out'.

Top recommendations:
-Yamaha P2500/5000/7000 (built in crossover and fans that I've never heard turn on)
-Crown K1/K2 (fanless, incredible power/damping)

Currently have 2 JL 12W7's powered by a Crown K2. You'd need to spend mega-bucks to get the equivalent in "high end" home theatre subs.

Good advice, just stay away from Behringer and Mackie, Crown Qsc and Yamaha pro gear is way above Behringer and Mackie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:15 pm 

I would recommend a Crown XLS series amp. Powerful, light, built in Xover, and affordable used.

I use a Dayton plate amp for my DIY home car sub builds, but I should have kept the Crown XLS1500 I had!

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:20 pm 

Agreed.
Also if you wait, winter is "off season" for both pro audio and car audio.
That's when the best deals are found on kijiji/Craigslist. Home audio is the opposite with higher demand in the winter.