Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:38 am 

Hello,

I was wandering id anyone has thought about, looked-into, or "gone ahead and done it", replacing the greed and red LED on a PrimaLuna Amp/Integrated with another colour?

And if one were inclined to do that, are there any suggestions, recommendations, or considerations?

Cheers,
M,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:08 am 
Premium User

As long as you match the size, brightness and current draw of the originals, there is no problem. The real issue is that as there is no service manual with a parts number list available, finding those specs is going to be a guessing game as the schematic only shows a generic LED symbol with no values.

One thing to be aware of is that different color LEDs often operate at different voltage drops (as low as 1.9V up to 4.2V), so may require a different dropping resistor.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:12 am 

OBI56 wrote:
As long as you match the size, brightness and current draw of the originals, there is no problem. The real issue is that as there is no service manual with a parts number list available, finding those specs is going to be a guessing game as the schematic only shows a generic LED symbol with no values.

One thing to be aware of is that different color LEDs often operate at different voltage drops (as low as 1.9V up to 4.2V), so may require a different dropping resistor.

Thanks for this,

I was hoping that (more or less) that it can be a straight swap.

Assuming the replacement ones are the same size, but have different brightness, voltage drops, and current draw, and without replacing the dropping resistor, what would the impact be?

Cheers,
M,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:43 am 
Premium User

martin_manolov wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

Thanks for this,

Assuming the replacement ones are the same size, but have different brightness, voltage drops, and current draw, and without replacing the dropping resistor, what would the impact be?

Cheers,
M,

Too much voltage applied could blow the LED (in extreme cases, it can literally crack or explode) or, depending on the type of circuit it is in, could cause some other component to fail. Too little voltage applied and the LED will not light up.

It CAN be a straight swap IF you find a replacement with the same specs. Not all red LEDs have the same specs, but there are some red LEDs that have the same specs as a green LED the same size in another brand or model range. At last count, there are some 40,000 variations or different models of LEDs from over a dozen manufacturers in just the 1 package style (yes, LEDs come in many different package styles), and since LEZDs typically have no markings or model numbers printed on them, they are trickier to match. You can also get lucky and find something that will work just fine by pure luck of the draw.

For a quick primer on using LEDs, read up here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/LEDs-for-Beginners/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:04 am 

OBI56 wrote:
martin_manolov wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

Thanks for this,

Cheers,
M,

Too much voltage applied could blow the LED (in extreme cases, it can literally crack or explode) or, depending on the type of circuit it is in, could cause some other component to fail. Too little voltage applied and the LED will not light up.

It CAN be a straight swap IF you find a replacement with the same specs. Not all red LEDs have the same specs, but there are some red LEDs that have the same specs as a green LED the same size in another brand or model range. At last count, there are some 40,000 variations or different models of LEDs from over a dozen manufacturers in just the 1 package style (yes, LEDs come in many different package styles), and since LEZDs typically have no markings or model numbers printed on them, they are trickier to match. You can also get lucky and find something that will work just fine by pure luck of the draw.

For a quick primer on using LEDs, read up here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/LEDs-for-Beginners/

Thanks again.

Is there no way to measure the stock LED and determine its characteristics (even in approximation).

Cheers,
M,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:24 am 
Premium User

Not without a lab full of sophisticated equipment and destroying the factory sealed LED to my knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:26 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Not without a lab full of sophisticated equipment and destroying the factory sealed LED to my knowledge

haha, so, not really a basement-built DIY thing then.

Thank you for all of your very helpful insight!

Much appreciated.

Cheers,
M,