Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:21 pm 

I have seen the ready rod racks, they look ok. You could go one step further. In between the shelves just to cover the ready rod to make a nicer finished look, use some aluminum tube or even some chrome shower tubes.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:41 pm 
Premium User

darcman wrote:
I have seen the ready rod racks, they look ok. You could go one step further. In between the shelves just to cover the ready rod to make a nicer finished look, use some aluminum tube or even some chrome shower tubes.

Unless the tubes are really precision cut to size and fit EXACTLY to the length of the threaded rods, they tend to buzz and vibrate enough to nullify the isolation the thick threaded rods provide. Thicker plastic tubes or sand/lead shot/foam filling them helps dampen things down.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:33 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
darcman wrote:

Unless the tubes are really precision cut to size and fit EXACTLY to the length of the threaded rods, they tend to buzz and vibrate enough to nullify the isolation the thick threaded rods provide. Thicker plastic tubes or sand/lead shot/foam filling them helps dampen things down.

Good Point. I feel 100% confident that I could cut them to size and I am sure most people could if you take your time.
You have a good idea with the plastic pipe, you could use say sch 40 pvc pipe...spray it any color you want too.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:31 am 

darcman wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
darcman wrote:

Good Point. I feel 100% confident that I could cut them to size and I am sure most people could if you take your time.
You have a good idea with the plastic pipe, you could use say sch 40 pvc pipe...spray it any color you want too.

I built a 'Flexi' with 1/2" ready rod and 3/4" plywood shelves, and used 1" anodized aluminum tubes for appearance - not too difficult, just time consuming. The trick is wrapping the nuts with electrical tape for a friction fit inside the tubes, and setting the nuts at just the right spot so when the washers and next shelf are tightened down the tube is held in slight compression. Unfortunately the rack is a little too light and the rod is a little too slim - there is too much vibration in the version I built. I am now considering a double wide with 1 1/4" solid laminated birch shelves and 6 posts with 5/8" or 3/4" rods for a 'deader' rack, then possibly roller bearing add-on shelves. I am confident this would sound better. I would love to be able to afford a proper, engineered and manufactured rack but my budget won't support that. Besides, DIY is a lot of fun!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:02 am 

Material thickness is important. 3/4 ply or less is too thin. That is why, on store-bought wooden units, the wood is 1 1/2 or thicker. If you laminate two panels together with a good PL adhesive and screws (from the underside so they are not seen) you can build decent shelves. For upright supports look to something that will not resonate; 1 inch dia threaded rod is good. If you want to cover each section of rod with PVC then fill the tubes with an inert material such as shot, sand or cement.

I am building a live edge unit right now; as the pine I am using is over 100 years old and is less than an inch thick, I am laminating two boards together as described above...by staggering the lower section slightly proud of the upper shelf, you get a nice effect from the live edge. I have a machine shop at my disposal so I am using 1/8 wall 1 by 3 tubing, TIG welded and sand filled.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/253890497725563943/ looks similar to my approach.

Density and weight are advantageous. Go thicker and laminate if you can. Glue and screws are inexpensive; here is a tip; laminate your pieces before you cut them...that way when you cut them to size you will get exact and consistent edges. Edge banding is great looking and easy to apply. Take your time, go to pinterest and spend some time to see what you are looking for. If you need fabrication, do some drawings, select what materials you might be interested in, and go see a welding shop/fabricator. For DIY, it is hard to beat the threaded rod approach with nice, thick shelves. There are some great aerosol paints by the way our there; things like hammertones, "thickened", wrinkle finishes etc. Just be sure and sand, degrease and use an appropriate primer...if not sure check with your paint store.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:23 am 

Thanks to everyone.
The suggestions were good, the links were informative and the pics of your set up were very interesting.
I have a good idea of what I'm going to do.
I'm still not entirely committed to what material I'm going to make the shelves out of. I will re-read all the posts and and go from there.
Admittedly, the plexi glass stand was, to me, very sharp
Again, all the comments and suggestions were excellent and helpful.
The DIY must be where the smart people hang out.
Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:15 pm 

darcman wrote:

Use heat shrink tubing:

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:30 pm 

I built mine from maple, and used 17" porcelain tiles as shelves. There are more images in my gallery.

They are strong, open on all sides for ventilation and easy access, and don't look like something that should be relegated to a man cave. They are also not difficult to make.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:13 pm 

Just inspiration.......or not

Attachments:
Dodger's%20Rig%20(3).jpg
Dodger's%20Rig%20(3).jpg [ 31.6 KiB | Viewed 722 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:10 pm 

How about an Ikea Lack customized stand? Light and rigid, and they look pretty good too. Google it for some ideas.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Ikea+Lac ... nVDLeJiYbM:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

scarbpaul12 wrote:
As stated.

What, like...in the corner?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:11 am 

Check out mine. Very happy with them. 2.25" x15" Douglas fir 1" ready Rod.

Attachments:
IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG [ 336.54 KiB | Viewed 615 times ]
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG [ 286.05 KiB | Viewed 615 times ]
IMG_1604.JPG
IMG_1604.JPG [ 378.6 KiB | Viewed 615 times ]
IMG_1554.JPG
IMG_1554.JPG [ 335.88 KiB | Viewed 615 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:37 am 

That looks really sharp bagboymac
It's hard to tell from the photos, but did you paint the all thread?

-- 02 Jun 2017 19:39 --

Teo Audio wrote:
scarbpaul12 wrote:
As stated.

What are you asking?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:08 pm 

My DIY stand is made from powder coated sand filled 3" square metal legs and cross-members. On the bottom there are metal cones which pierce the carpet and rest on the concrete floor. The shelves are made from 2 different materials sandwiched (glued) together: the top layer is 3/4" Baltic birch with maple veneer. The bottom layer is 3/4" MDF. There are parallel grooves cut into the bottom layer (1/4" deep) to help dissipate resonance. All edges are capped with 1" thick solid maple. All components are isolated with Stillpoints feet except for the turntable (70 pounds) which rests on a slab of polished granite. The granite is "floated" off the top shelf with a piece of dense, commercial grade carpet underlayment. I am happy to report there are no issues with vibration, ringing etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:40 pm 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
That looks really sharp bagboymac
It's hard to tell from the photos, but did you paint the all thread?

-- 02 Jun 2017 19:39 --

Teo Audio wrote:
scarbpaul12 wrote:
As stated.

What are you asking?

Yes, black tremclad over primer after using a degreaser. Natural Cherry gel stain on the timbers. The first picture is the before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next