Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:30 pm 

As stated.
Basic plan, wooden shelving being supported by all thread rod
I have access to a wood shop and a basic machine shop.
Some of the questions I have been mulling over:
What type of wood should I use for the shelving? I have been reading alot of stuff on maple. Yet I came across an article that said the pressboard/veneered end tables Ikea makes are the best shelving surface.
Equipment isolation, is that achievable through the use of material the shelving is made of? Would some type of isolation material between the rods and the shelves be effective?
I plan on having the stand on a concrete basement floor, how should the stand meet up with the floor, spiky points, isolation between the stand and the floor. rods lagged into the floor?
I'm putting this out there because, as usual there is a lot of conflicting info.
If there is a law of diminishing returns, I want to stay with in it.
Thanks, Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:43 pm 

as you said in the last sentence...you may as well buy used stand from some recognized audio company with the same $$ as buying bunch of shelves from Ikea, etc....at least that is my experience when I got into it years ago....but if you want to be proud of yourself and make something...the goal is to use several layers of different materials...wood,rubber,iron,steel,stone....and I always had good experience with steel balls....

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:14 pm 

Go to CAM " What is your equipment sitting on" in the DIY forum. There are some ideas there .

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:39 pm 

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyracks.html

I knew this would come in useful to someone someday. MDF may be best. You can get edging for that too. Maple looks really nice. The Costco cutting boards are cost-effective, but only 18" wide, which may be too narrow if you have standard width gear.

Have a look also at the double-flexy...

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:08 pm 

Hi Paul,

My two cents is to keep it simple.

What you want is a simple wood cabinet with shelves that fit your components and that fits your decor. I have mid century modern taste and heavy equipment so getting a cabinet to fit our home/needs was impossible off the shelf.

Let us build a simple rectangular box with dividers/support (if needed). For this project, the tricky part is maximizing the raw wood panel (s) you'll need to complete the project (no metal rods). Get your calculator out and do some math. Your cabinet will likely be 20 inches deep or a little more and about 42 inches wide (or the opposite if you go vertical). You'll need about 2 panels to finish the job with some left over (need shelves elsewhere in your home? now is the time to anticipate this).

Measure your components to determine how large you'll have to build your cabinet. Design a 20 inch (or deeper) box that has shelving, get Home Depot to cut the 3/4 inch veneered plywood to your specs (vibration characteristics of the woods are not an issue), assemble the pieces with screws, cut a hole for amp ventilation on the bottom plate, fill screw holes with drywall compound, sand, add an edge veneer, trim the veneer and then paint. For legs, go to Lee Valley Tools and pick the legs that fit your decor (or the vendor of your choice). Depending on the weight of your equipment or your configuration (vertical vs horizontal construction), you may need 4 or 6 legs. Place felt pads under the feet of your legs. Use the adjustable feet to set level for the cabinet.

The metal rod/wooden shelves is an interesting approach but...it is IMHO fugly and, if not executed correctly, unstable. Plywood doesn't conduct vibration well and on a concrete floor with felt feet, vibration will not be an issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:31 pm 

To totally play with your mind, here's how I built my rack - it's dead silent i.e., won't resonate, so it's ideal.

Cement-bonded wood fibre cinder blocks and aluminum foam shelves.

Problem with wood is it resonates, the denser the wood, the longer the wavelength of resonance, so we completely avoided it in this build.

Attachments:
File comment: Rack
IMG_4528.JPG
IMG_4528.JPG [ 512.37 KiB | Viewed 3304 times ]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:37 pm 

On a concrete floor not even an issue.A well damped speaker stand will not transmit any vibrations through the floor.Try to have your gear lay out not between your speakers.If you have a balanced amp you can place your amp between the speakers but run a long IC from your source components and keep them away from acoustical vibrations.My room has a strange dog leg shape with a concrete floor so my equipment is behind a false wall and the only piece in the room is my pass amp.Its like my sources are in a separate room.My remotes work around the corner I don't even see my components when I'm listening.Virtually no air borne vibration in to my turn table...I know your are focused on a stand but with the concrete floor also focus on placement if you have the option...

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:41 pm 

I made my current stand. left the back open and used right angle brackets that I painted black for fixing shelves. Also used casters for feet. Makes it very easy for cable/ component changes. If on a hard floor then use locking casters.
I am planning to make a new one as my equipment has changed. Going with live edge wood for this one and build a multi outlet power box into it.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:42 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
I made my current stand.

Sounds great - any pics?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:31 pm 

bumperdoo wrote:
mpublicover wrote:
I made my current stand.

Sounds great - any pics?

She ain't pretty as I only used some recycled pieces out of the garage. It was useful however until my gear changed. I did build it strong enough that I was able to change its orientation when my equipment needed more space.
Problem now is I can't square it up as my amp sticks too far out the back and it is too tall for me to put my table back on the wall shelf. Thus I'm doing a new one.
I'm out of town now and using my phone but there are pics in my gallery.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:36 pm 

With some mods this stand could be made a little beefier

http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/ ... -2005.html

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:30 am 

Only a few weeks ago I made a rack for the power amps and crossover. I didn't want to spend any money on it so I made the entire thing out of hard maple scraps...35mm square or thereabouts. I didn't want to use shelves on account of their resonance potential so I fabricated maple rails that the component feet sit on. The open nature of it also helps improve cooling. The whole thing sits on all-steel levelers with swivel feet that act similarly to cupped spikes.

Most inert material I've ever rapped my knuckles against is Bencore Kaos, but at over $1200 for a 3M sheet it's a little out of my price range. :) I imagine that with some LED strip lighting it would make a pretty stunning visual statement.

Attachment:
amp rack sm.jpg
amp rack sm.jpg [ 179.56 KiB | Viewed 2991 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:09 pm 

Another option.
I got a plastic company to cut, drill holes and polish ends on one inch plexiglass, and I assembled with threaded poles from Home Depot.

Attachments:
stand.jpg
stand.jpg [ 529.21 KiB | Viewed 2935 times ]
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:38 pm 

ripblade wrote:
Only a few weeks ago I made a rack for the power amps and crossover. I didn't want to spend any money on it so I made the entire thing out of hard maple scraps...35mm square or thereabouts. I didn't want to use shelves on account of their resonance potential so I fabricated maple rails that the component feet sit on. The open nature of it also helps improve cooling. The whole thing sits on all-steel levelers with swivel feet that act similarly to cupped spikes.

Most inert material I've ever rapped my knuckles against is Bencore Kaos, but at over $1200 for a 3M sheet it's a little out of my price range. :) I imagine that with some LED strip lighting it would make a pretty stunning visual statement.

Attachment:
amp rack sm.jpg

Glenn...so...real men do use doilies... :D

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:33 pm 

aiv1055 wrote:
Another option.
I got a plastic company to cut, drill holes and polish ends on one inch plexiglass, and I assembled with threaded poles from Home Depot.

That is totally cool!!! How does it sound?

The Hasselblad camera is a nice touch!