Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 683
Location: north bay, ON, CA
waiting on my new tda1541a-s2 double crown for my CD880 and like to install a socket, but which one?

1. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ARIES-28-6554-10 ... xyDEVSa8BY

2. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/28-C182-10-Aries ... SwMmBV0axR

or any other one recommended?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:50 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 18449
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
Haven't you heard Bolly. IC sockets are evil, destroy the sound and must be avoided at all costs ..... LOL!!

In terms of potential contact/corrosion problems, the second type has the better, more reliable long term contact. In terms of ease of insertion/removal, the first type is best. But the best one for YOUR needs really depends on what you are looking for. Its sort of like the debate over spades VS Banana plugs for speaker connections.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 683
Location: north bay, ON, CA
ok OBI you convinced me with your first statement!! no socket for the king dac chip!! :P


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 18449
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
bolly wrote:
ok OBI you convinced me with your first statement!! no socket for the king dac chip!! :P


I actually prefer to all chips in sockets in case they go bad and have ever since IC chips came out, but there are those who are violently anti-socket who will go to extreme lengths to actually remove sockets from circuits and directly solder the chips in place.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 205
Location: toronto, ON, CA
When building my own, I prefer sockets for the simple reason that chips fail. If you're not so good with a soldering iron, sockets can take virtually infinite heat and survive, chips? Not so much.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 683
Location: north bay, ON, CA
thanks Bumpy, I have over 30yrs soldering and 20 of those as HRS qualified


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:35 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 18449
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
Bumpy wrote:
When building my own, I prefer sockets for the simple reason that chips fail. If you're not so good with a soldering iron, sockets can take virtually infinite heat and survive, chips? Not so much.


My point exactly.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:18 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
OBI56 wrote:
Haven't you heard Bolly. IC sockets are evil, destroy the sound and must be avoided at all costs ..... LOL!!

In terms of potential contact/corrosion problems, the second type has the better, more reliable long term contact. In terms of ease of insertion/removal, the first type is best. But the best one for YOUR needs really depends on what you are looking for. Its sort of like the debate over spades VS Banana plugs for speaker connections.


What debate?

Everyone knows 'spades at the amp and bananas at the speaker'!!! :roll: :lol:

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 13709
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Voodoo Funk wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
Haven't you heard Bolly. IC sockets are evil, destroy the sound and must be avoided at all costs ..... LOL!!

In terms of potential contact/corrosion problems, the second type has the better, more reliable long term contact. In terms of ease of insertion/removal, the first type is best. But the best one for YOUR needs really depends on what you are looking for. Its sort of like the debate over spades VS Banana plugs for speaker connections.


What debate?

Everyone knows 'spades at the amp and bananas at the speaker'!!! :roll: :lol:
Nah....bare wire into binding posts. T'ain't nothin' better! :P

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 205
Location: toronto, ON, CA
ripblade wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
Haven't you heard Bolly. IC sockets are evil, destroy the sound and must be avoided at all costs ..... LOL!!

In terms of potential contact/corrosion problems, the second type has the better, more reliable long term contact. In terms of ease of insertion/removal, the first type is best. But the best one for YOUR needs really depends on what you are looking for. Its sort of like the debate over spades VS Banana plugs for speaker connections.


What debate?

Everyone knows 'spades at the amp and bananas at the speaker'!!! :roll: :lol:
Nah....bare wire into binding posts. T'ain't nothin' better! :P


Remove the binding posts from the amp and solder the outputs directly to the speaker wire. OR remove route the amp outputs from the binding posts, drill a hole through the back plate and use the binding posts to crimp the speaker wire to the amplifier outputs.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:51 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 18449
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
This thread is getting way off the topic which is the use of Chip Sockets.

CAM Moderation Team


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:55 pm 
Online
Dealer/Sponsor

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:33 am
Posts: 1038
Location: Kingston, ON, CA
When I'm doing mods and have to buy a lot of 8 pin sockets (ie, 50 or more), I find that the digikey sourced inexpensive assman sockets are pretty good for the money.

They are non magnetic, which makes them a good deal. non magnetic is the key aspect for a good socket. One cannot buy and test each for magnetism. (50-60 different sockets available)

Also, take a look at the 'non magnetic parts list' thread at diyaudio for a good listing of known non magnetic parts.

As for the larger sockets, the inexpensive assman sockets being non magnetic means the larger ones may likely be of similar qualities.

The nonmagnetic aspect can be crucial for dac chips as we are talking about hysteresis induced jitter. This, due to nickel being used as a base over the brass for silver or gold plating. or just nickel based alloy issues. The hysteresis of the nickel will mess with the cleanliness of the square wave edges of some of the digital signal aspects. Hence: jitter. Nickel: bad. Non magnetic: good.

To do it right includes spending hours and hours pouring over socket build specifications, and then buying and testing.

_________________
(Ken Hotte, of) Teo Audio


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: chip sockets?
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:34 am
Posts: 633
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
OBI56 wrote:
There are those who are violently anti-socket who will go to extreme lengths to actually remove sockets from circuits and directly solder the chips in place.


I'm one of those. I have gone out of my way to remove Chip sockets from gear on many occasions. When I was doing Radar work we had more Chip sockets fail than I care to remember. It's very rare that an IC fails and when it does soldering in a new one is child's play compared to the alternative of troubleshooting a faulty socket. There are exceptions where an IC socket makes sense and in those cases I will use a high quality "Machined" socket and never a Zero Insertion Force "ZIF" socket. The ZIF sockets will invariably fail whereas a machined socket is less likely to. In audio, the only time a socket makes sense is when you plan on "Chip Rolling" Op Amps or if the PCB is of poor quality and traces are damaged by soldering otherwise they serve no purpose from a reliability standpoint.

_________________
¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group