Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:54 am 

All drivers, no exception, woofers, mid, and tweeters are colour coded, usually, red= Plus, and white = minus, or

Red = plus and no code on the minus side, or

on some drivers, very few of them, Black = positive, and without marking on the minus side or sometime, with a white dot for the minus side.

On a few drivers, you will have the + and the - signs beside the connectors.

All in all, all drivers will have a mark of some kind to find the positive side of said drivers.

Phases are not reversed on drivers, maybe on the crossover, but never on drivers.

Battery test are usually performed on woofers/mid ranges type drivers, and it works very well.

On tweeters, not so much, if at all. Putting a small light piece of paper over the cone, might make this procedure a success. You might have a better chance of seeing movement of the cone.

The OP can also get in contact with Paradigm, and ask them which wire, from the crossover, would connect to the positive side of the tweeter, which colour, the single colour wire or the double colour one.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:20 am 

moinau wrote:
You mentioned that the replacement tweeters are the 'Peerless Style K010DT Silk Dome Tweeter'
The Peerless connectors are colour coded, Red = +, white = -

You mentioned on your first post that the wires connected on your tweeters are yellow and white, the wire coming from the red dot connector is your positive one, the other wire from the white dot connector, the negative.

Thanx moinau, upon closer inspection yes the replacement tweeters do have that red marking on the one post. Not sure how I missed that before....blame poor lighting? No, I need glasses.
Now I will use some of the other suggestions on testing for reverse polarity etc.
I will likely use Alec's advice on the jumpers to test to hear what sounds right.
If it ain't one...its d udder.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:57 am 

Finding original tweeters for the Studio 60's is next to impossible plus my research seemed to make me think that they were the weak link in these speakers...why would I want originals then?
Then after trying to source something suitable...a few leads told me to look for the "Peerless rectangular" tweeters.

You can get replacements from Paradigm for the tweeters, apparently not a big deal to repair..
Ott.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:14 am 

btw, wired the tweeter up red to yellow (positive to positive) and it worked great and the speakers sound fabulous.
A kid down the street has them now...I hope he doesn't blow them up.