Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:59 pm 

Hello,

Damaged my lower woofer on my DM603. There is a pushed in bit at center and larger one right of center. I think this almost like a passive speaker but not sure. I have never pulled out speaker?

Before I buy new one, is it possible to push out dents?

B&W DM603 S3 Woofer Damaged Part # ZZ12920

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Attachments:
File comment: Pushed in Woofer on DM603 S3
20170416_145027.jpg
20170416_145027.jpg [ 295.46 KiB | Viewed 1292 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:06 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

both woofers on the series 3 are active. (series 2 has an active woofer and passive radiator)

The dents are no big deal, in musicality terms.

Leave it well enough alone for the moment. It may be possible to pull the dents out, but since it is aluminum, some aspects of the dent will remain.

It will be difficult to do, at best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:11 pm 

Thanks Ken, This just happened an hour ago and I still having issues getting over it. Had these speakers since 2002 and 4 moves. Today I just wanted to moved them back and out came the knee.

Yes no noticeable difference in sound at all.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:20 pm 

Pretty upsetting no doubt, but very little difference in sound or radiation pattern. The dents can't be pushed out, without removing the dust cap, but it may be possible to pull them out. I can't say for sure, as I've never worked on an aluminum dust cap. I've pulled dents from fabric dust covers with a bit of plastic tube taped to a vacuum cleaner hose, to give it a gentle amount of suction. You put the tube in the middle of the dent, and literally pop it back out. Gently of course! and supporting the cone with your other hand, as you do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:26 pm 

Thanks for reply.

dcrooks wrote:
Pretty upsetting no doubt, but very little difference in sound or radiation pattern. The dents can't be pushed out, without removing the dust cap, but it may be possible to pull them out. I can't say for sure, as I've never worked on an aluminum dust cap. I've pulled dents from fabric dust covers with a bit of plastic tube taped to a vacuum cleaner hose, to give it a gentle amount of suction. You put the tube in the middle of the dent, and literally pop it back out. Gently of course! and supporting the cone with your other hand, as you do.

Yes I would probably make more dents. I still have grills off and it getting easier to accept what I did lol

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:00 pm 
Premium User

The bottom dent seems to have a crease in it; not a good thing if it cracks open. The smaller one should pull out clean.

There are several ways to pull out dents in aluminum domes, but using a vacuum cleaner is probably the worst and the least controllable and only to be used as a last resort. Aluminum is NOT textile or plastic, it dents, creases and tears. Creases and tears cannot be fixed without the repair being very visible, so best to avoid any possibility of further damage.

Start with the gentlest method possible which is using low tack paper tape starting with blue or green painters tape, then progressing to the stickier white stuff if the blue stuff fails. You very gently rub one end of the tape into the dent with the top side of your fingernail and then, while holding the cone or dome steady start giving it small but gentle sharp tugs outwards (start with 1/8" sharp tugs at a time makin sure you do not rip the tape off) until the dent pops back out. Best to repeat the process a few times with the least sticky tape before progressing to the next stickier grade.

Once the dent is pulled out, gently peel the tape off.

Patience and dexterity are your friends.

The larger dent seems to have 2 parts, so start with the shallower one first. If there is a crease in the second dent, you may need the help of a second pair of hands to do the pull out with 2 pieces of tape, one on each side of the crease that get pulled simultaneously. That should pull most of the dent out but the crease will remain as a permanent reminder.

I did literally hundreds of these metal dome pulls in my younger years and permanently tore many an aluminum dome before learning the process and to avoid vacuum cleaners. The technique also works well on plastic, mylar, poly, chemical and fabric domes and even thin cardboard centre caps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:04 pm 

Hi Obi, Good suggestions! As I said, I've never worked on aluminum domes, your suggestion of using tape sounds good! A low tack tape would probably work very well for fabric and paper domes as well, although a little more risk of peeling the surface layer....

Regardless of the technique, there's a bunch of risk, which I didn't emphasize as much as I should have, and given how little impact to radiation patterns, considering this is a woofer and not a tweeter, I would probably just leave it alone....

YMMV Dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:31 pm 

Thanks for advice

OBI56 wrote:
The bottom dent seems to have a crease in it; not a good thing if it cracks open. The smaller one should pull out clean.

There are several ways to pull out dents in aluminum domes, but using a vacuum cleaner is probably the worst and the least controllable and only to be used as a last resort. Aluminum is NOT textile or plastic, it dents, creases and tears. Creases and tears cannot be fixed without the repair being very visible, so best to avoid any possibility of further damage.

Start with the gentlest method possible which is using low tack paper tape starting with blue or green painters tape, then progressing to the stickier white stuff if the blue stuff fails. You very gently rub one end of the tape into the dent with the top side of your fingernail and then, while holding the cone or dome steady start giving it small but gentle sharp tugs outwards (start with 1/8" sharp tugs at a time makin sure you do not rip the tape off) until the dent pops back out. Best to repeat the process a few times with the least sticky tape before progressing to the next stickier grade.

Once the dent is pulled out, gently peel the tape off.

Patience and dexterity are your friends.

The larger dent seems to have 2 parts, so start with the shallower one first. If there is a crease in the second dent, you may need the help of a second pair of hands to do the pull out with 2 pieces of tape, one on each side of the crease that get pulled simultaneously. That should pull most of the dent out but the crease will remain as a permanent reminder.

I did literally hundreds of these metal dome pulls in my younger years and permanently tore many an aluminum dome before learning the process and to avoid vacuum cleaners. The technique also works well on plastic, mylar, poly, chemical and fabric domes and even thin cardboard centre caps

I will give this some thought and maybe try it

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:40 pm 
Premium User

dcrooks wrote:
Hi Obi, Good suggestions! As I said, I've never worked on aluminum domes, your suggestion of using tape sounds good! A low tack tape would probably work very well for fabric and paper domes as well, although a little more risk of peeling the surface layer....

Regardless of the technique, there's a bunch of risk, which I didn't emphasize as much as I should have, and given how little impact to radiation patterns, considering this is a woofer and not a tweeter, I would probably just leave it alone....

YMMV Dave

Dave, you know what its like to have something in your face that annoys the heck out of you every time you see it. You can't resist taking care of it and making it disappear. Like schmootz on your windshield. Or a zit on your nose....

Metal domes are a special case when they get creased. The crease is permanent and, if sharp enough, WILL crack and start buzzing like crazy, so taking care of it ASAP is a priority. Creases in aluminum woofer dust caps are especially prone to cracking open due to the pounding of bass notes, but dimples or dents without creases can and probably should be left alone. I used to treat creased caps with some sort of transparent flexible plastic sealant to delay the cracking of the crease, but that only held for a few more weeks or months. Ironically, using the stuff on a previously cracked dome usually lasted for years.

Most of my experience came with 8 to 15" commercial/pro bass drivers which almost universally had aluminum dust caps and not wanting to undergo an expensive reconing process unless it was absolutely necessary, I used to check out and un-dent at least half a dozen drivers a week until one smart-alec said to me; why not just replace the damned dust caps yourself? That also coincided with my discovery of a good source of perforated metal protective grilles. So what if people couldn't see the shiny metal domes as well as they used to.