Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:55 am 

dcrooks wrote:
UpperCut wrote:
dcrooks wrote:
But at subwoofer frequencies, the radiation pattern is omni directional....

Thanks very well pointed out, yet also with that I found on an enclosure like this it boosted far to much if placed in a corner area like 0.5 or more distance to a wall yet not enough / weaken towards the elusive soundstage or into the room area were it was wanted.
In Images to come you will find that I will try to overcome this in using guides as well as that the Vented Exhaust Ports are placed in that direction as well. Please do not see the word ‘Ports’ as in ports as you know them in normal vented boxes as the calculation is very different & if you had a good read / look you will find that the vented section is a passively created sound force and with that make a lot of things obsolete as well as this volume has to be calculated as a all in one volume (including exhaust ports) in general that means that relations have to quiet right as in 1 to say 1.7 Etc.

Ok, I see what you're hoping for. That by guiding the wave front from the woofer, you'll be able to impart some directionality, and thus reduce the wall or corner loading. I'm not sure how successful you will be, but I wish you luck! Cheers, Dave

We are not professionals in a way of having a big budget all the equipment or even that particular knowledge for everything to test like companies, but I was thinking (and as you mentioned as well) we try in DIY and make do!
I designed the bottom end of this unit in a way that this particular piece in question can be very easily fitted or taking out for testing so I will see when it is ready to run.
In any case companies like Manger a few years back have used reflectors panels / shields before etc. & I think I to remember that I saw others as well.

rgs UpperCut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:09 pm 

UpperCut wrote:
dcrooks wrote:
Ok, I see what you're hoping for. That by guiding the wave front from the woofer, you'll be able to impart some directionality, and thus reduce the wall or corner loading.

We are not professionals in a way of having a big budget all the equipment or even that particular knowledge for everything to test like companies, but I was thinking (and as you mentioned as well) we try in DIY and make do!
I designed the bottom end of this unit in a way that this particular piece in question can be very easily fitted or taking out for testing so I will see when it is ready to run.
In any case companies like Manger a few years back have used reflectors panels / shields before etc. & I think I to remember that I saw others as well

The other approach is to make use of the wall's or corner boundaries, AKA Klipschorn and others....

I'm far from a professional as well! But I've DIY'ed more than a few speaker systems, and I enjoy the hobby as well! Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:45 pm 

Hi there again,

1) A Image of the nearly completed center section (just four more slices to go, and then on to the Dom section!
2) Start of the Dom section.

rgs UpperCut

Attachments:
Picture 710aa.jpg
Picture 710aa.jpg [ 192.93 KiB | Viewed 373 times ]
Picture 708aa.jpg
Picture 708aa.jpg [ 215.76 KiB | Viewed 373 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:19 pm 

Hi there again,

1) An Image of the completed center section fully glued up (before joining Dom section or Base section to it!).

2) This Image is showing a small strip of the first layer of the dampening I use (Air Cushioning - Area Trapped Air Arresting Motion Suspension) which has until now worked so perfectly without question yet I have this time a Dual side wall so this type of dampening will go into the inner side of the Sealed volume Area and on the very outside of the cylindrical body unit which is also the outer side of the Vented section (center section only!).
Please note that the small strip was only placed as it is now quiet diffucult to reach the inside area particular there Etc.

rgs UpperCut

Attachments:
Picture 718aa.jpg
Picture 718aa.jpg [ 189.6 KiB | Viewed 363 times ]
Picture 715aa.jpg
Picture 715aa.jpg [ 199.05 KiB | Viewed 363 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:32 pm 

Hi there again,

Completeed center section!

rgs UpperCut

Attachments:
Picture 723aa.jpg
Picture 723aa.jpg [ 189.45 KiB | Viewed 315 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:00 pm 

Well, some of the latest Images of this build up. Unfortunately I have been quiet busy with some other / new project development as well as we had a lot of rain so the job was more of protecting what was already there rather then building due to some leaks in this old workshop.

Anyway, another day or two and that one will be running. Some physical data on this project:
39.5 Kg without the base plate, 45.10 Kg with the base plate and all in all complete 52.60 Kg with a height of 42” – 107.00 cm, 1.07 meter.

rgs UpperCut

Attachments:
Picture 729aa.jpg
Picture 729aa.jpg [ 198.11 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]
Picture 740aa.jpg
Picture 740aa.jpg [ 181 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 am 

Well and here we go! Completion & the first 30 minutes of running it, but still with a lot of things to finish off.

And ‘YES’ it sound like a Sealed/Vented does sound – simple ever so Sweet & very Tight, but most of all with NO Boom a enjoying mix of bass of both worls Sealed & Vented. Amazingly ‘The Blender’ piece just above the base plate does also work quiet well in directing most of the sound waves coming from the woofer towards the front (same direction as the tuned Vented section is Exhausting) as at first listening it was quiet noticeable standing in front or behind the unit.

rgs UpperCut

Attachments:
Picture 742aa.jpg
Picture 742aa.jpg [ 221.71 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]
Picture 743aa.jpg
Picture 743aa.jpg [ 253.88 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]
Picture 745aa.jpg
Picture 745aa.jpg [ 191.56 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]
Picture 747aa.jpg
Picture 747aa.jpg [ 222.73 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:42 pm 

After throwing some quiet mean program materiel at this unit for the last three weeks (first 3 weeks of the three month running in period) and I’m more then happy with the reproduction of this bass unit which goes down to a nice low 26-27 Hz presently, but most of all is the Interest it has created by now many Visitors to this workshop!
Quiet funny is also the reaction by these people which firstly lay a hand on the top of the unit realizing the very low resonances & asking in general if the unit is running/playing the music which is in the workshop to hear, and further on automatically rest their elbow on the top of it just as they were in a Bar/Pub for a drink

Once they get some info they find that it would be perfectly suited for as a Pub table standing around it because it simple has the right height even with a top on and a pleasant way of experience bass pure. A finale note to this would be to mention that these low resonances you can feel in the top section are reduced about another 80% if you guide a hand down on the side walls further to virtually none in the last section!

I find it quiet amazing that with this type using a SEALED/VENTED arrangement bass can become such a pleasant part of any music type. Presently I’m as well looking for a suited covering material for the outer tube.

rgs UpperCut

Attachments:
IMG_0533ab.jpg
IMG_0533ab.jpg [ 196.18 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]
IMG_0531ab.jpg
IMG_0531ab.jpg [ 248.89 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]