Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:05 am 

I.S.C.T – ‘12” Cylindrical Sub Enclosure’ as a (Sealed/Vented) with Dual Side Walls ….

Finally getting to work on the first (Test project D) - ‘12” Cylindrical Sub Enclosure’ in a (Sealed/Vented configuration) and for the first time in a set up with Dual Side Walls = Dual Tuned Compartment Volumes (1 Sealed & 1 Vented) which in particular makes this project so very interesting. I will use a 12” Mivoc a single voice coil chassis (German Import) which came up with the perfect specs for this project & a 10" Interactive unit. The basic build specs are presently - 18” diameter, height well - over 3 feet, with a gross volume of around 48 to 54 liter (1.7 to 1.9 cubic foot) net I want it to be close to 45 liter (1.6 cubic foot).

I have seen before a few of these cylindrical sub build ups over the years, and I liked the idea in general, but was also convinced that these had so much more to offer then just as they were presented so I saw in my case it very useful to adapt such shape to my own idea & development of a Sealed/Vented configuration (D) build up!
As this is now my fourth (4) Test enclosure in the Sealed/Vented configuration I’m able to say that it has given me great joy to develop this idea further because it has proving itself ten times over in its sound reproduction abilities as such a beautiful musical Instrument of the initial idea combining & reproducing everything of a ordinary Single Sealed & a Single Vented enclosure type into ONE unit which is truly quiet something and most of all for true musical ears.

I mentioned in one of my previous threads that this will be my last Test enclosure as planned because I want to attempted to build the big one most likely as a set combining all what I have done over the two years of researching this project type and building my four enclosures each time differently. All in all the Big one will inhered everything from these Test enclosures yet once again by itself be in shape & build quiet different from them as these were just stepping stones to prove the workings and my own idea generally.

Presently I’m waiting for a shipment with a tool I need to do this project and which has been shipped from overseas only today!

rgs UpperCut

Attachments:
Picture 684aa.jpg
Picture 684aa.jpg [ 203.34 KiB | Viewed 1951 times ]
Picture 682aa.jpg
Picture 682aa.jpg [ 216.09 KiB | Viewed 1951 times ]
Picture 605aa.jpg
Picture 605aa.jpg [ 181.24 KiB | Viewed 1951 times ]
Picture 601aa.jpg
Picture 601aa.jpg [ 183.03 KiB | Viewed 1951 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:41 am 

I really appreciate the skill set required to design and build a speaker like the one in your photos!

Do you have a sketch of the design?

I have a passive DIY Sono-tube subwoofer that uses a 12 inch driver - the performance is great but compared to your build looks quite amateurish.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your build as it progresses - thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 am 

Greg_567 wrote:
I really appreciate the skill set required to design and build a speaker like the one in your photos!

Do you have a sketch of the design?

I have a passive DIY Sono-tube subwoofer that uses a 12 inch driver - the performance is great but compared to your build looks quite amateurish.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your build as it progresses - thanks for sharing.

PLEASE never ever regret what you build as everything is a learning excersise to higher levels. What would you thing I started with I started small the same as everybody else. I just have the advantage of life long experience in three trades Electronics, automotive (Restoring etc.) & computer engineering.
Now I did 3D & all that other stuff yet my ideas and designs come from my ability to have a vision in my head + my work experience = everything is in my head creating things while I go yet having an overall Image in front of me which I seldom change.

rgs UpperCut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:41 am 

UpperCut wrote:
Now I did 3D & all that other stuff yet my ideas and designs come from my ability to have a vision in my head + my work experience = everything is in my head creating things while I go yet having an overall Image in front of me which I seldom change.

That's what i start with....a vision in my head. Then I spend the next year fixing what I created 'till it sounds half as good as I imagined. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06 pm 

ripblade wrote:
UpperCut wrote:

That's what i start with....a vision in my head. Then I spend the next year fixing what I created 'till it sounds half as good as I imagined. :lol:

This was referring to the physical design & appearance of the enclosure - so not quiet sure what you are dwelling on, but if you refer to your own creation then I believe that there must be something wrong - most likely not anything in your vision but maybe the building method(s) your are using to bring your project(s) alive.
Outstanding sound reproduction can only be achieved among many other - in my humble opinion - by creatively using Shapes, and sorry to say but Cubes & Rectangular designs had there time yet have simple outgrown our advanced electronics available.

It’s like if you given an IPhone (would you prefer a series 1 or a series 8 version)???

rgs UpperCut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:24 pm 

Very interesting. Kudos to you for taking the plunge and building your idea. As you progress please keep us updated. I wish you well in your endeavour and hope its successful for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:36 pm 

as great as your work is - there is a reason Cylindrical ( tubular) enclosure have not taken off - dispersion field very poor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:29 pm 

UpperCut wrote:
This was referring to the physical design & appearance of the enclosure - so not quiet sure what you are dwelling on,...

Just making a joke, but I will add that the shape of the enclosure is one of the least important aspects of a successful (and good sounding) design, as evidenced by the number of very good sounding rectangular boxes.

Enjoy your build; I did pass band enclosures a number of years ago as part of my PC stereo. Excellent choice for bass augmentation. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm 

alladione wrote:
as great as your work is - there is a reason Cylindrical ( tubular) enclosure have not taken off - dispersion field very poor

But at subwoofer frequencies, the radiation pattern is omni directional....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:18 pm 

alladione wrote:

Thanks for the reply!
Sorry, to say that this is just another stepping stone in my development as the first three were different all together in shape but great to learn many things. I'm NOT building these to put into my lounge I'm building these the get the best idea what & what does not suit best. My very first was a Fizzer by at least say 60% yet it gave me insides of what I did wrong it ever since I build the cesong one I never look back as it started me off to see that I was on the right track of what I wanted to have and hear as an end result.

If you keep following you will find that it all is quiet different & could (I say could very well) maybe not eliminate but enhance this pproblem a great deal.

rgs UpperCut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 pm 

dcrooks wrote:
alladione wrote:

Thanks very well pointed out, yet also with that I found on an enclosure like this it boosted far to much if placed in a corner area like 0.5 or more distance to a wall yet not enough / weaken towards the elusive soundstage or into the room area were it was wanted.
In Images to come you will find that I will try to overcome this in using guides as well as that the Vented Exhaust Ports are placed in that direction as well. Please do not see the word ‘Ports’ as in ports as you know them in normal vented boxes as the calculation is very different & if you had a good read / look you will find that the vented section is a passively created sound force and with that make a lot of things obsolete as well as this volume has to be calculated as a all in one volume (including exhaust ports) in general that means that relations have to quiet right as in 1 to say 1.7 Etc.

rgs UpperCut

-- 22 Mar 2017 00:45 --

ripblade wrote:
UpperCut wrote:
This was referring to the physical design & appearance of the enclosure - so not quiet sure what you are dwelling on,...

Just making a joke, but I will add that the shape of the enclosure is one of the least important aspects of a successful (and good sounding) design, as evidenced by the number of very good sounding rectangular boxes.

Enjoy your build; I did pass band enclosures a number of years ago as part of my PC stereo. Excellent choice for bass augmentation. :)

That is OK I'm not upset by a joke at all!

But now, please no offence this your second statement is one of Medieval times say it mildly, but I can see you seem to be a hard core Rectangular Coffin follower & that is of course fine as you are / everybody is entitled to believe what once want to believe!

Yet now it becomes real funny as you seem to be guided by …….. whatever ...... yet not it is neither a Band Pass, single Sealed nor single Vented – I’m at a lost with who said anything about Band Pass Be ensured it is NOT yet I like to offer you this knowledge it could come as close as to a Strait Six Order – BUT ONCE AGAIN IT IS NOT!!!

rgs UpperCut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:54 pm 

Hi there,

This is an Image from way back when I was trying to make some templates!
The template shown is not in the right place just sitting there & the speaker chassis will be mounted from the outside & again it is just sitting there for measuring everything!

And another shaping & sizing up the bottom end.

rgs UpperCut

Attachments:
Picture 686aa.jpg
Picture 686aa.jpg [ 200.55 KiB | Viewed 1761 times ]
Picture 674aa.jpg
Picture 674aa.jpg [ 179.77 KiB | Viewed 1799 times ]

Last edited by UpperCut on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:49 pm 

UpperCut wrote:
Yet now it becomes real funny as you seem to be guided by …….. whatever ...... yet not it is neither a Band Pass, single Sealed nor single Vented –
Sorry. I admit that I skipped through your post rather too quickly, saw mention of sealed/vented in one box and assumed a 2 chamber enclosure.

Carry on....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 pm 

ripblade wrote:
UpperCut wrote:
Yet now it becomes real funny as you seem to be guided by …….. whatever ...... yet not it is neither a Band Pass, single Sealed nor single Vented –
Sorry. I admit that I skipped through your post rather too quickly, saw mention of sealed/vented in one box and assumed a 2 chamber enclosure.

Carry on....

No problem at all with me, but I would really like to see of course that in general people would take thinks a little bit more seriouse - even so it is just DIY.

rgs UpperCut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:26 am 

UpperCut wrote:
dcrooks wrote:

Thanks very well pointed out, yet also with that I found on an enclosure like this it boosted far to much if placed in a corner area like 0.5 or more distance to a wall yet not enough / weaken towards the elusive soundstage or into the room area were it was wanted.
In Images to come you will find that I will try to overcome this in using guides as well as that the Vented Exhaust Ports are placed in that direction as well. Please do not see the word ‘Ports’ as in ports as you know them in normal vented boxes as the calculation is very different & if you had a good read / look you will find that the vented section is a passively created sound force and with that make a lot of things obsolete as well as this volume has to be calculated as a all in one volume (including exhaust ports) in general that means that relations have to quiet right as in 1 to say 1.7 Etc.

Ok, I see what you're hoping for. That by guiding the wave front from the woofer, you'll be able to impart some directionality, and thus reduce the wall or corner loading. I'm not sure how successful you will be, but I wish you luck! Cheers, Dave