Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:01 pm 

There seems to be a lot of raw 15-inch Tannoy drivers for sale these days, often with crossovers. (Either that, or I just notice what interests me!)

For anyone who's picked up a pair of these drivers—HPD-385, HPD-385A, 3828, 3859, 3839 and some others—I thought I'd mention an easy, Tannoy-tested, cabinet design, originating in Canada, that enables one to enjoy the post-Gold, pre-DMT 15" Dual Concentrics without resorting to massive floor-standing cabinets.

Basically, decades ago, some engineer at CBC stuck a 15" Dual Concentric driver into a 123 litre (4.5 cu.ft.) cabinet, tuned to 40-42 Hz. He liked the results and had Manley Labs in California do a critical assessment. They were also impressed.

With dimensions of 26.5 x 19.75 x 18.5 inches and (in the case of the factory cabinets), a weight of 77 pounds, these were hardly petite "bookshelf" designs, but they do nicely on (robust) 18-22" stands and don't dominate a room. (An extremist could, of course, perch them on subwoofers, and in studios they often did, but that's a different direction.)

Eventually, Tannoy came out with a commercial implementation of the original CBC design designated the SGM-15B. It was spec'd at 95 dB sensitivity (half-space; 92 dB anechoic); 125 W continuous, 250 W programme and 500 W peak power handling, and 40 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response (+/- 4 dB).

It was a later addition to the Super Gold Monitor (SGM) series, but it doesn't appear in any of the spec sheets and brochures for that series. At least not in any that I've been able to access online.

To my ears, the SGM-15B combines the musical coherence associated with "classic" Tannoy Monitor Gold drivers with some of the transient "snap" that I, at least, associate more with the later DMT series of monitors.

The essential data for cabinet-building are the external dimensions, given above, plus the following addition information:

— Tannoy used 25 mm MDF for the front and back panels, with 18 mm MDF for all the others. If I were building new cabinets, I'd be inclined to go for 1" birch plywood all round, or laminates of 0.50" plywood and 0.50" MDF. On the other hand, the SGM-15B I'm listening to as I type sound just fine in the original factory cabinets. So long as you keep the same internal volume, the exact materials and thickness of the panels is up to the builder. But suffice it to say that the designers were aiming for a non-resonant cabinet rather than one that contributes to the music like the resonating chamber of a violin or guitar.
— Two identical round ports above the driver: 3" diameter, 2 7/16" long.
— Driver is flush mounted.

Anyway, FWIW, there it is. . .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:30 pm 

I designed a trapezoidal miniOnken for HPD385 for a studioin the US. ~22x21x12” (wxhxd) so even smaller. Reportedly quite good.

dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:24 am 

I have not heard the 15 inch tannoy's. I have lived with Altec 604E 16 ohm Super Duplex for over 40 years. I know you have 604 experience Dr. Joe and wondered if you could share your opinion of the difference in sound between the two?

I am still deciding to keep my 604 and build smaller boxes like some Japenese enthusiasts have done for their typically smaller living quarters. Mind, I also enjoyed 4 large B&W 808.

I know the 604 was combined with bass drivers and special crossovers in large enclosures hung high off walls in studios specifically designed for sound playback so musicians could hear themselves when played back but there is the old tradeoff again-loud SPL in a big box with extended frequencies and therefore sounds very realistic vs a smaller box and you start to lose something, maybe too much, in terms of possibly compression or less breathing for lack of better terms.

Am I dreaming or did someone actually use silver wire to build a speaker driver to help push/pull the cone instead of copper or aluminum used today?

So, I agree with this post, how does one fit a large all purpose driver into a small cabinet that is simple to build and sounds almost as good as a much larger, deeper, higher, wider box that likely uses every trick in the speaker cabinet bulding design book of tricks and tweaks and joints and bracing and loading and so on?

Then there is the question of wire and crossover. Bill Woods is Acoustic Horn Company and is a crossover designer in Ontario but hard to get a Hold of. The photo is of Bill Woods in the 70's when he was helping put concerts on. These days he likes TAD drivers on his horns.

Are there any known loading techniques for the Tannoy like Transmission line when a smaller cabinet is used? I want it all, realistic musical and analytical sound at low or reasonable SPL that sounds like a voice or instrument and doesnt get all jumbled up when say an orchestra is played back. Wife and pocketbook acceptance. All in one system. 3D images everywhere positioned and imagined correctly.......

Is it too much to ask in the year 2017?

Attachments:
image001.jpg
image001.jpg [ 42.43 KiB | Viewed 1687 times ]

Last edited by speedy1 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:40 am 

Bernie likes em.

Attachments:
Menken@Bernie.jpg
Menken@Bernie.jpg [ 27.5 KiB | Viewed 1688 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:06 pm 

I currently have both. I have the 604E and the Tannoy 3836 in large inert ported cabinets. The Tannoy does the frequency extremes better, it goes higher and goes lower. But it also still has a bit of that warm bass bump. Most of that sound is from the crappy cabinets they build but some of it is still part of the drivers sound. I believe it's because they have a heavier cone. The Tannoy will be pleasant a crossed a wider variety of bad recordings. The Altec does horizontal dispersion of the high frequencies better. Personally I prefer the alTec combined with a sub woofer just a touch More than the Tannoy but they're both pretty awesome. They are both better than about 99.9% of the stuff you will here at Taves. And I'm even talking about the price no object stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:08 pm 

speedy1 wrote:
Am I dreaming or did someone actually use silver wire to build a speaker driver to help push/pull the cone instead of copper or aluminum used today?

B&W did... The Silver Signature. And not just the voice coil, but the crossover inductors, capacitors, all the internal wiring and the binding posts....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:01 pm 

and.........http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/phy/phy.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:19 am 

libor wrote:

I love to try a pair of these!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:05 pm 

What a lovely post. Lots of top shelf information and eye candy.

Sadly Great plains audio refused my request for silver! As I understand it they use Aluminum! They did start thinking about 16 ohm versions though.

When I spoke with Bill Schnee, he said he would never use GPA for his latest studios 604E and his old partner Doug Sax built the crossovers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:55 pm 

Big Reds

Attachments:
BigReds_front.jpg
BigReds_front.jpg [ 265.93 KiB | Viewed 1412 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:28 am 

Here is Bill SchneeBILL SCHNEE AND DOUG SAX VERSION OF 604E AND STUDIO far larger I believe than Big Reds ever were.

Note-I coild not copy or paste a photo using every/any extension, so here is the web adress and if anyone knows how to get the photo into this chat, please do.

http://schneestudio.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:57 am 

Now Larrabee.

Gary

Attachments:
300x300.jpg
300x300.jpg [ 17.36 KiB | Viewed 1370 times ]
schnee-control-room.jpg
schnee-control-room.jpg [ 169.24 KiB | Viewed 1370 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:30 pm 

Does anyone have any experience with Tannoy super tweeters?
Where can one listen to Flagship Tannoy like Kingdom Royal in this area?
Dont know much about Tannoy, what amplification works well with the Flagship?