It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:50 am 

These are my favorite drywall anchors for heavy items:
http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:53 am 
Premium User

Albert wrote:
If you are really worried about the drywall failing you can try anchoring a piece of plywood a little smaller than the tv behind it. You can use more anchors with the plywood than the brackets so it will be firmly attached. Then attach the tv bracket with anchors to the plywood. This should hold a lot more weight as you are unlikely to rip the plywood and the weight of the tv is distributed over a much larger area so the drywall shouldn't fail.

This is good, ALSO you can ADD studs..."WHAT?"

Yes.

you cut two 8ft 2x4 into 4 ft lengths - cut a square hole 5-6" wide by 8-10" tall a foot below your TV mount position. Do this 4 times across the width of the mount.

You insert the 2x4 into the hole and then place screws though the drywall to anchor the wood. TIP put a long 3" deck screw into the wood to act as a handle to help hold it.

you then replace the cut out square screwing it to the wood now behind the wall.

you now have "ribbing" in the wall to resist the cantilevered forces of the extended TV. Just make sure your TV Mount engages the wood, oh and flip the wood width ways to allow for a little shimming to centre it perfectly.

Run your source wires while the wall is open if applicable. A little drywall mud/tape (small repair kit from HomeDepot/Lowes etc) and you're set.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:21 am 

Don't forget a conduit for power and other cables if you want that clean floating on the wall look.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:29 am 

seve20 wrote:
Don't forget a conduit for power and other cables if you want that clean floating on the wall look.

Just remember that you cannot run power cords in-wall.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 am 

@ Jared
I have all the hardware you can find on the market including those. No doubt they are extremely good but in the end a simple drywall wont be safe enough if you pull the TV 20 inches away from the wall.

@ Albert

Your scenario ''was'' my best plan B. But in the end I'm not sure the drywall around this second skin behind the TV would have been strong enough.

@ triathleman

Dealing with a more robust structure as you have suggested is probably the way to go. I'm not sure about the final cost (I'm not a kind of Holmes reno guy... :wink: ). The BDI stand with it's ''cheap'' solution (around 1000$) is in my future.

Finally to all of you guys thanks for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:44 am 

Here's some unsolicited advice...if you're going to wall-mount the bloody thing...do not do what sooooooooo many do...do not hang it higher than your accustomed viewing height...you will regret it...don't give in to the almost instinctual inclination to hang it at gallery height (or higher)...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:58 am 

Who do you think I am :?: :?: :?:

I have already bought my new furniture.... :shock:

( Thanks, I have put plenty of time thinking about this problem and now (with my simple 30 minutes wall mount installation being gone in smoke) seems I have even more time to think about it... :wink: )

Attachments:
977714_l.jpg
977714_l.jpg [ 37.7 KiB | Viewed 524 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:01 am 

:D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:07 am 

If the bracket mount is big enough to span two 'studs', I would think you could locate and drill a pilot hole through both sides of the stud which should be shaped something like this ], and then run a correct length oversized screw right through. Any bulge or pit you create on the opposite wall can be filled sanded and touched up. You should then have the whole framework behind the wall and the drwall sheets distributing the weight. Shouldn't that work?
Another option would be to cut out a sheet/panel of drywall on the opposite side and install a wood box/frame, securely attached to the metal studs, preferably on four sides if at all possible. Then you replace the cutout out, mud it and refinish. securely screw your bracket into the wood.

FYI my 65" LED weighs half what my 46" LCD weighs. I believe it's around only 50 lbs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:19 am 

@ Che,

There is no wooden vertical stud behind the wall. All I had was an horizontal metalic structure. The problem began right there.

I must confess that I'm not an Holmes reno kind of guy. And as good the option of working to open walls may sound it's out of my league... :(

So I will forget the wall mount I have and go for the more simple BDI TV stand solution.

Thanks again for your time on this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:38 am 

Hi,

I am doing some reno work on a bathroom right now. This discussion on wall mounting heavy stuff holds for shelves, cabinets, mirrors etc. Thanks to all - very timely.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:40 am 

Stone wrote:
Here's some unsolicited advice...if you're going to wall-mount the bloody thing...do not do what sooooooooo many do...do not hang it higher than your accustomed viewing height...you will regret it...don't give in to the almost instinctual inclination to hang it at gallery height (or higher)...

---

Agreed, the unnecessary neck strain that comes from to high a hanging when seated or laying lower unless of course you have a good size beer belly to be trying to get back far enough to see over in the 1st place? Then higher might be better? Lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:57 am 

If you have the room, BDI furniture looks nice and then you have no worries. Good decision.

When I mounted my plasma, I first measured the midpoint of my rptv from the floor and mounted the plasma tv so that it's midpoint was at the same height, 43". Everyone said it was too low when they walked into the room but when they sat down they could look directly at the tv without neck strain and changed their minds. Of course if you're putting it on top of furniture you don't have much choice (unless you cut the legs off). :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:04 pm 

Stone wrote:

I have been in more than one install when they demand it is mounted above the fireplace
only to return months later to find they never watch that TV because it hurts.

For my comfort I split the screen into thirds, and then mount so that my eye level is between the first and second thirds (from bottom)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:08 pm 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
Stone wrote:

I have been in more than one install when they demand it is mounted above the fireplace
only to return months later to find they never watch that TV because it hurts.

For my comfort I split the screen into thirds, and then mount so that my eye level is between the first and second thirds (from bottom)

yep...