Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:49 pm 

If you don't have wood studs inside a wall, it's completely irresponsible to mount anything heavier than 10 pounds onto drywall, especially when vibration is involved. I would be wary of the wall eventually failing to some degree, over time, because its design and build are very ill conceived, for your situation, already.

If you can mount a 2 x 4 to the ceiling into SOLID material, you can simply build a proper stud wall in front of the present wall, making sure you locate studs exactly where you would need them to use all fixing holes required by the mounting bracket. Make sure to place studs to account for bringing any electrical outlet boxes forward 4 inches to fit flush in the new wall. Use a licensed electrician and get permits. If you gerry rig something that fails catastrophically, like the TV falling off of the wall and starting a fire when no one is home, no insurance company will have anything to do with any claim, and rightly so. You could face lawsuits or jail, if someone gets hurt. You need permits and inspections and shouldn't consider doing anything without submitting a plan to your municipality.

If you don't want to go through such a process, obtain the unit's proper stand and make sure to bolt it to the top of the cabinet, as close to the back of the cabinet as you can. The only advantage to building a new wall is that you can install raceways for hiding all of the cables. Just be completely safe. Bylaws exist for good reason; take advantage of the professional guidance available. CAM is definitely not the place to look for construction solutions.

My new wall suggestion is simply an idea/solution that you can take to the appropriate city department; it should not be regarded as a green light to immediately call up a few friends and go to the lumber yard to buy studs and drywall!

A few years ago, my neighbour's "know-it-all" brother began building a wood fence around their property. I asked if he had obtained information as to where the gas and electrical services existed. He lied through his teeth and said he had everything under control. Later, I noticed that he was building the fence 10 inches inside my property, not on the property line. He went ballistic when I pointed out this glaring error, even though he had only dug a few holes; I had to call the police. The officer told him to have someone from the city come out and mark off the utilities. The next day, he moved the fence 10 inches inside the property line on their side. He dug the rest of the holes for the posts and I inspected them when he was at work. Then, it rained heavily for a few days and I was curious to see how much water was trapped in the post holes. That's when I noticed that the rain had washed soil away from the sides of the holes and, in one particular hole, had exposed the edge of the previously covered gas line!

While this example is somewhat extreme, it illustrates that improperly informed people, with the best of intensions, can send you down a dangerous path if you don't see through their lack of real expertise. City inspectors are our friends. You can make a simple phone call to find out who to see. It may prove a valuable experience to apply and wade through the required procedures, even if you decide to not follow through with the actual build. Best wishes!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:41 am 

Just an answer to the physics question regarding leverage; compared to 100 lbs. of force at 6", the same weight at full extension of the TV mount would be 20" / 6" x 100 lbs., or 333 lbs. Or, reversing the calculation to account for the weight capacity of the mount, at full 20"extension, the weight limit of the mount would be about 30 lbs. Someone please check my numbers, as high school physics was a long time ago.

As far as the weight limit of drywall, I wouldn't hang anything on it unless the majority of the force was being applied vertically, i.e. with the object resting directly on the surface of the wall, even with the over-sized screw in anchors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:57 pm 

Stone wrote:
Here's some unsolicited advice...if you're going to wall-mount the bloody thing...do not do what sooooooooo many do...do not hang it higher than your accustomed viewing height...you will regret it...don't give in to the almost instinctual inclination to hang it at gallery height (or higher)...

+1 your neck will thank you. In your seated position, your eyes looking horizontally (relaxed neck) should be centre of your TV. I pity those w TV above fire place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:24 pm 

When I bought my new plasma tv it replaced an old rear projection one. Thinking that the tv manufacturer knows what height is best I measured from the floor to the middle of the rptv screen and then mounted the plasma tv so that it's middle was at the same height. Everyone who sees it says the tv is too low, until they actually sit and watch it. The middle of the tv is at eye level and I experience no neck discomfort whatsoever. This is good advice.

My projection screen viewing height is higher. When I sit back in my recliner my eyes are centered on the projection screen so that works too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:14 pm 

Albert wrote:
When I bought my new plasma tv it replaced an old rear projection one. Thinking that the tv manufacturer knows what height is best I measured from the floor to the middle of the rptv screen and then mounted the plasma tv so that it's middle was at the same height. Everyone who sees it says the tv is too low, until they actually sit and watch it. The middle of the tv is at eye level and I experience no neck discomfort whatsoever. This is good advice.

My projection screen viewing height is higher. When I sit back in my recliner my eyes are centered on the projection screen so that works too.

Totally agree, I had numerous ppl asking why the TV is so low, until they watched it for a while, then: "Aaaah, got it"

Re: projection screen, same issue, don't understand why it's so hard to find a screen with 30" black dropout, do people really like to sit in 1'st row in the movie theatre?