Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:34 pm 

I have a question for you the math inclined... :wink:

I have searched and found a lot of info about how to install a TV on a ''studless'' wall. I have all the hardware I can dream of to do the job.

YouTube is pretty useful to explain what are the weight limits with an endless list of demonstration videos about the strongest hardware available to do the job. All that is pretty clear. But all I have learned about the weight limits is related to a TV very close to the wall.

My question is : with a total weight (TV+ wall mount) of 100lbs at 6 inches of the wall what will be the new stress weight with a TV at 20 inches (full extension) of the wall?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:52 pm 

I'm going to look for my grade 11 physics book....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:56 pm 

I never sleep... :lol:

Indeed the bracket will feel the stress increase until the wall will finally rip apart (remember there's no stud behind the wall).

This following video is partly usefull to me since all the weight (in the video) is near the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECDysfNhx_E

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:03 pm 

What I'd like to know is what is holding up the wall if it's studless?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:12 pm 

oddio1 wrote:
What I'd like to know is what is holding up the wall if it's studless?

OK I live in an igloo... :shock:

The wall is an outside wall of the building and the (metalic) studs are horizontals and too far away to be usefull.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:08 am 
Premium User

The easy answer is to get a floor mount ... ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:35 am 

So if there are no studs, what are the mounting screws fixed to? Even the metal stands are not designed to hold any real weight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:24 am 

OBI56 wrote:
The easy answer is to get a floor mount ... ;-)

+1

-- Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:25 am --

mpublicover wrote:
So if there are no studs, what are the mounting screws fixed to? Even the metal stands are not designed to hold any real weight.

+2

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:34 am 

I used to be an HT installer. In a condo that I wasn't working at, a co-worker installed a ~80lb TV and ~10lb bracket to a metal studded interior wall. The TV stayed put for a week until the drywall ripped out. The mounting brackets can hold 200lb each, and they did not fail. But the drywall will rip apart around the mounting hardware eventually.

The condo paid us to come back and install a 4x8 peice of plywood to the opposite side of the wall after a drywaller had fixed it. The opposing interior wall was a closet, so the job was no problem.

Luckily the customer was there to physically catch the TV when it slowly separated the drywall. And the condo paid for everything since my co-workers got all the information and permission for mounting from the condo.

End of my story. I hope you have better luck. I basically would not proceed unless you first cut out your drywall, build a support structure and refinish the area before mounting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:59 am 

Last edited by KJT1 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:05 am 

Adriankn wrote:
I used to be an HT installer. In a condo that I wasn't working at, a co-worker installed a ~80lb TV and ~10lb bracket to a metal studded interior wall. The TV stayed put for a week until the drywall ripped out. The mounting brackets can hold 200lb each, and they did not fail. But the drywall will rip apart around the mounting hardware eventually.

The condo paid us to come back and install a 4x8 peice of plywood to the opposite side of the wall after a drywaller had fixed it. The opposing interior wall was a closet, so the job was no problem.

Luckily the customer was there to physically catch the TV when it slowly separated the drywall. And the condo paid for everything since my co-workers got all the information and permission for mounting from the condo.

End of my story. I hope you have better luck. I basically would not proceed unless you first cut out your drywall, build a support structure and refinish the area before mounting.

Thanks, you are 100% on target Sir. And on top of that my fear included the potential damage to the center channel and the furniture below.... :(

@ OBI

As usual you are right but I was reluctant to go for the global BDI solution. In my situation it seems a good deal after all. This is exaclty the furniture I have to work with (and the BDI solution):

Attachments:
addsimage8860.jpg
addsimage8860.jpg [ 44.38 KiB | Viewed 1998 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:12 am 

First of all ..buy a newer Flat screen as they are less than 50 lbs for a 55 in...then go from there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:20 am 

Attachment:
092097253162lg.jpg
092097253162lg.jpg [ 28.8 KiB | Viewed 1984 times ]
I agree, don't do it. I'm a contractor and anything with weight needs to be attached to something solid. Forget the TV smashing...what if it falls on a small child?
Why would you try to force something that should not be? I dislike metal studs (strongly) in the first place. Everyone that has a home theater made with that stuff has vibration noises just like the rattling automobiles do with the subs going that you hear often and it just adds noise.
Do the wood behind, properly secured, as previously suggested if you want it properly installed, or find a way to get into those metal studs at least.

I am not recommending you do this, but the best anchors I have used for limited weight (like very large art) where there are no studs to go into, are these metal anchors that hold into the drywall better than the butterfly style anchors. Used properly they support tremendous weight. Would work for most center channel speakers for instance.

Because the weight would be suspended away from the wall, it would be like you trying to pull the tv off of the wall all of the time by pulling down towards the floor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:28 am 

No child but I have a cat that worth is weight in gold for my girlfriend... 8)

OK it's clear in my mind I wont touch the wall after all. I'll use the safer BDI solution.

Thank you all for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:37 am 

If you are really worried about the drywall failing you can try anchoring a piece of plywood a little smaller than the tv behind it. You can use more anchors with the plywood than the brackets so it will be firmly attached. Then attach the tv bracket with anchors to the plywood. This should hold a lot more weight as you are unlikely to rip the plywood and the weight of the tv is distributed over a much larger area so the drywall shouldn't fail.

This is what I did with my projector screen as I was afraid it might rip through the ceiling and fall on my tv and/or amps that are sitting under it. I used a much smaller piece (6" x 6") and used 4 anchors each to secure two of them to the ceiling. I then screwed the projector mounts to the small boards and put up the 106" projector screen. It wasn't as heavy as a tv but I wanted to be 100% sure it wouldn't come down. This is not a false ceiling, the tiles are glued to something (I think plywood).

Here are a couple of quick pics of what I am talking about. The white base on the ceiling is for a chandelier that was in the way of the projectors image. There are two of them.

Attachment:
proj bracket1.jpg
proj bracket1.jpg [ 619.28 KiB | Viewed 1891 times ]

Attachment:
proj bracket2.jpg
proj bracket2.jpg [ 721.05 KiB | Viewed 1891 times ]

Last edited by Albert on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.