Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:38 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
For more time than I'd like to admit I've been trying to find a suitable stand for my audio equipment.
I've not had much luck. There are some very nice stands out there but not near my budget.
Most of the ones available at places like Best Buy or the Brick etc, are overpriced, flimsy, and have glass shelving.
I really hate glass shelves.
So, what is your gear sitting on?
Home built stands, flexi-racks, piled up beer cases. I'd like to see it.
FWIW here's one that I like but it's outside my budget and of course out of stock. :roll:
Attachment:
02-39.21.60.97_media-unit_philippe3-39.21.60.97.jpg

Hi: Hi-Fi Stands/Racks are a very important consideration for great sound. If we have genuine, passionate Hi-Fo experience, one comes to realize that "EVERYTHING" contributes to "What We Hear". The differences are easily noticeable, sometimes profound.
With that said, Lovan ( Lovanaudiogroup.com ) made a superb-sounding, reasonably priced ($70/section) tri-pod style, modular equipemt rack. These entry level models, are NOT made anymore as I just searched Lovan.
The one's I speak of are by no-means, massive, high-weight behemoths: 1-3/8" metal posts forming a tripod configuration (2-front, 1-rear). The botom of each "section" has spiked feet. Available in 4"-7"-10" Heights,m mone can choose to their requirments.
The shelves, were a simple wood-styled wood of some type --available (at the time) in a Dark Cherry, Light Oak, and likely painted Black. Lovan also made a slightly larger (1.5"?) diameter version as well.

These inexpensive eqeuipemnt racks sounded great !

The only issue, (and I suspect it was concerning enugh that eventually this syle was abandoned) was that the underlying metal tri-pod frame (remember 2-Front, 1-Rear) would support a rectanular support shelf; any accidental "pressure' on the back section of the shelf would and did easily dislodge the shelf itself. Not an issue if there was a high-weight component on the shelf, but anything light could easily be "jolted" from the shelf if pressure/force was applied to the back portion of these stands.
Concerned users could come up with an inventive technique to minimize (or eliminate) the issue , should they deem it a concern.

In any ecent, check out Lovan's current "Soverign" series (in their Basic Line) or either the Reference Series "Legacy" or, what appears quite pricey, the Signature Extreme Series --also in their Reference series.

Search used or look into some of Lovan's current offerings. Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:49 am 

I`m still trying to get a decent picture but there is a side benefit to moving things around.
All the cables I had were three times longer than what I needed. I replaced the speaker cables, bought a new cable to go between the amp and the pre, (all much shorter) used some very good power cords on everything and repositioned the speakers.
The cumulative effect has made me a happy audio-fool.
And placing the stand between the speakers hasn`t had any negative effects that I can hear.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:18 pm 

Isoblue stands. More affordable than a Naim Fraim and in my opinion slighter better than a Quadaspire rack.

Attachment:
IMG_2015.jpg
IMG_2015.jpg [ 184.88 KiB | Viewed 1301 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:13 pm 

airdronian wrote:
Here the systems are on bog standard Sanus type stands, pretty boring.

Albert likes Timbernation (and why not), I would lean towards something from the Box Furniture Co.

Attachment:
BoxSingleWidth.jpg

Thats some nicely made stuff. What is the pricing like?

-- 04 Aug 2016 23:19 --

armaudio wrote:
airdronian wrote:

Albert likes Timbernation (and why not), I would lean towards something from the Box Furniture Co.

Attachment:
BoxSingleWidth.jpg

Never mind, i found a price list on line , Yipes!! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:08 pm 

armaudio wrote:
airdronian wrote:

Attachment:
BoxSingleWidth.jpg

-- 04 Aug 2016 23:19 --

armaudio wrote:
airdronian wrote:

Attachment:
BoxSingleWidth.jpg

Never mind, i found a price list on line , Yipes!! :shock:

Yup, I only lean towards Box Co. stuff, my wallet refuses to go any further. :P

It looks great though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:21 pm 

Built myself shelf with Dentil Moulding fascia and is bracketed sitting 2" from the exterior wall with the cables running behind & down to underneath equipment.

Behind the fascia and screwed/velcro'd to the underneath of the shelf is an AppleTV(bluetooth remote), HDMI to Optical Splitter, Airport Express, Power Bar, and even a Phono Amp (be gentle (: )

The shelf can be knocked hard with the turntable not skipping a beat.

Attachments:
Shelf.jpg
Shelf.jpg [ 93.6 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:33 am 

Some very cool implementations!

Here is a shot of my flexi, built in the mid 90's in Waterloo. Full these days, as I run both HT and 2 channel in the same room, but totally separate components.

Then a shot of the "baby flexi" built more recently to house music server, HD, Harmony smart control remote, media streamer, Blu Ray player etc.

Then a shot of the listening area.

When I finished the room I built in a media closet to house all the gear and keep the listening area cleaner. "Closet" might be a bit strong, as the gear actually sits in the unfinished area of the basement behind its own door for access from the front. For rewiring or component changes, I can get right in behind the gear - SO much better than leaning forwards over the rack and looking upside down! It does require long speaker wires, but I have come to grips with that.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:45 am 

mcgsxr wrote:

Here is a shot of my flexi, built in the mid 90's in Waterloo. Full these days, as I run both HT and 2 channel in the same room, but totally separate components.

Then a shot of the "baby flexi" built more recently to house music server, HD, Harmony smart control remote, media streamer, Blu Ray player etc.

When I finished the room I built in a media closet to house all the gear and keep the listening area cleaner. "Closet" might be a bit strong, as the gear actually sits in the unfinished area of the basement behind its own door for access from the front. For rewiring or component changes, I can get right in behind the gear - SO much better than leaning forwards over the rack and looking upside down! It does require long speaker wires, but I have come to grips with that.

Very cool. Great idea for my boys (for a bookshelf or something). I assume that's a single bolt running through there. How did you secure it to the bottom (and top) to prevent wobbling?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:45 am 

Very impressive and well thought out mcgsxr.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:52 am 

Philosophil wrote:
mcgsxr wrote:

Very cool. Great idea for my boys (for a bookshelf or something). I assume that's a single bolt running through there. How did you secure it to the bottom (and top) to prevent wobbling?

Uh oh... you don't know about a Flexi rack yet? I know what Phil is doing this weekend :lol:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

... even Jello Biafra of DK uses one. That's a ringing endorsement right there ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:56 am 

The large red stained flexi is a traditional 4 pillar.

The baby flexi is a 3 pillar. Only 2 are visible in the pic.

As are some of my daughters stuffed animals! The 2 sided closet has drawbacks too...

The single best thing I did when I finished out that space was the 8 dedicated lines (other than the sound transmission prevention). The former owner of the house was a wood working guy, so he had put in a pony panel in another part of the then unfinished basement. I moved that panel into the closet. There are 5 dedicated lines for the closet itself, and 3 for other things in the room.

It was 8 years of planning and living in the unfinished space before I could action it.

Keeps the space clean, and lets the family enjoy the room without a pile of gear in it. They enjoy the HT side of it. I love the pool playing option, and the ability to play tunes anytime and not disturb the family.

Hearing my daughters sing along to Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, Rebecca Pidgeon and Eva Cassidy is great too!

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:50 am 

I purchased a pair of IKEA Billy bookshelves and a pair of Oxenberg glass front doors. I ripped the back inch off the backs of the Billys, glued and biscuit-joined them together to build a 20 inch depth cabinet, then installed the Oxenberg front doors. Works great, only cost $300 bucks and gives me a ton of space. I built the shelves into custom wall spaces I built in the basement.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:17 am 

I use what are called flexiracks, though mine are not flexible!

I use 1 inch diameter threaded steel road and 1-inch thick birch plywood shelving. As a result, my five-shelf, double-wide rack weighs around 100 kg. The mass-loading approach, I suppose. I'm on a second storey, but have concrete floors.

For source components, I place four or five 5/8" silicone discs on the shelf and an inch-thick slab of slate on the discs, with the component sitting on that, in some cases with aftermarket spikes or footers, in some cases just with whatever feet the manufacturer supplied.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:30 pm 

I got a decent picture (I think) of my equipment stand. I mentioned before that it isn't quite what I had envisioned, mostly due to my not being more exact with my measurements. Believe it or not not everyone really is into audio.
Who knew?
I have my amp, pre, cd player, and a 160GB iPod Classic on a Pure I20 on the stand, the TT is on a Target wall shelf out of the shot.

Attachments:
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG [ 309.47 KiB | Viewed 995 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:21 pm 

that surely cleans things up for you mahatma. The blood pressure monitor is strategically place should things not sound quite right. Perhaps I should get one of those as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next