Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:19 pm 

Hi folks,

Does anyone know where I could find a schematic or wiring information on this piece? There is limited information online that I can find. It doesn't seem to be anything special, but it also doesn't appear to be working, so I'd like to tinker with it.

Thanks,

Attachments:
Concept EQ5 equalizer.jpg
Concept EQ5 equalizer.jpg [ 75.74 KiB | Viewed 1987 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:29 am 

It's probably just a generic 3 band tone control one could plug into a monitor loop. If you google tone control schematics you'll probably find something similar enough to get you started. Keep in mind that if it's a no go power issue you need to look at the power supply which should be a very easy fix.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:38 am 

Franco,

I'm going to guess circuit wise it might be pretty close to the Mcintosh MQ 101 .
Service schematic is online so you can compare.Or reverse engineer.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:20 am 

I have the speakers that this EQ was intended for. Picked them up at a garage sale for $2.00. Surprisingly the Foam grills are perfectly intact and all I had to do was refoam the woofers. The system is the Altec Concept EQ-5. I didn't get the EQ with the speakers and didn't know it was part of the system till I did a bit of searching online. Not sure if it was really required since it was sold as a separate item. I guess if you felt you needed it, it was available.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:17 pm 

Thanks for your help, folks. I'll do some research and see if I can find something close.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:10 pm 

The Concept EQ speakers were nothing special with three off the shelf drivers. I have owned a few pairs. Crossover was a bit odd with crossover points set at 800 hz and 8000 khz. The 12" CTS woofer was made of a thick heavy pulp much like the old AR's and lacked detail between 200 and 800. True bss was OK (acoustic suspension) while on voice reproduction the speakers were quite dull sounding. Should have crossed them over in the 500-650 range. Getting a 4" CTS paper cone mid to play accurately up to 8000 khz is also a stretch in my opinion. The old Philips mylar tweeter rolled off at 15,000 or so and was not that smooth. The best thing about the EQ's was a cabinet as it was well built. The equalizer helped a bit with the tone balance but could not overcome the other issues. Altec dropped the line very quickly