Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pass ACA Builds
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:10 am 

armaudio wrote:
I just replace two chips in a phono pre and i found that to be a pain in the butt.

Nice work.

Depends on what chips...very painful if there were some op amps...and even worse if the PCB quality is not good. Much easier from scratch, soldering is much easier than de-soldering...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:33 am 

Frank Wang wrote:
armaudio wrote:
I just replace two chips in a phono pre and i found that to be a pain in the butt.

Nice work.

Depends on what chips...very painful if there were some op amps...and even worse if the PCB quality is not good. Much easier from scratch, soldering is much easier than de-soldering...

There is also the experience factor Frank. Someone who de-solders and solders a couple of chips a year isn't going to have it as easy as the guy who works on PCBs for a few hours at a time every other day. The more you do something, the better you get at it, the easier it is and the better the final results look.

Based on the looks of your projects, the only logical conclusion is that this is not your first one. Or conversely, the number of projects you have presented us in the last 2 weeks explains why your work looks so good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:45 am 

OBI56 wrote:
There is also the experience factor Frank. Someone who de-solders and solders a couple of chips a year isn't going to have it as easy as the guy who works on PCBs for a few hours at a time every other day. The more you do something, the better you get at it, the easier it is and the better the final results look.

Based on the looks of your projects, the only logical conclusion is that this is not your first one. Or conversely, the number of projects you have presented us in the last 2 weeks explains why your work looks so good.

Indeed experience helps, and proper tools too. I do enjoy soldering things together, but I still have a headache when comes to metal works ...wish I could have a CNC...LOL
In the subject of this thread, I put "Builds"...yeah, I have done a handful this small amps, and hopefully could provide some useful info in sense of various power supplies and enclosures.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:44 am 

Frank Wang wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

Indeed experience helps, and proper tools too. I do enjoy soldering things together, but I still have a headache when comes to metal works ...wish I could have a CNC...LOL
In the subject of this thread, I put "Builds"...yeah, I have done a handful this small amps, and hopefully could provide some useful info in sense of various power supplies and enclosures.

Frank, we have a thread here on obscure or hard to find parts which you can look at and see if there any more you can suggest

This is the master list which is locked to prevent unauthorized editing
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 21&t=32051

This is the thread where you can add suggestions and/or corrections that we can merge with the master list.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 21&t=19592

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:07 am 

OBI56 wrote:

Frank, we have a thread here on obscure or hard to find parts which you can look at and see if there any more you can suggest

This is the master list which is locked to prevent unauthorized editing
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 21&t=32051

This is the thread where you can add suggestions and/or corrections that we can merge with the master list.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 21&t=19592

Thanks, you guys really did a great job putting these together, and I did benefit from it myself.

Will do if I could find anything more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:15 pm 

Re-layout the PCB and shrined size to the same as Pass mentioned in his article...
Got sample PCBs from top factory using military grade material and process...very easy to solder...

Attachments:
Installed.jpg
Installed.jpg [ 159.79 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
Installed3.jpg
Installed3.jpg [ 155.42 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
Installed4.jpg
Installed4.jpg [ 129.3 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
Installed6.jpg
Installed6.jpg [ 157.36 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:52 am 

Recent build for a friend down the south...

Attachments:
IMG_1492.jpg
IMG_1492.jpg [ 157.48 KiB | Viewed 769 times ]
IMG_1512.jpg
IMG_1512.jpg [ 62.44 KiB | Viewed 769 times ]
IMG_1521.jpg
IMG_1521.jpg [ 94.37 KiB | Viewed 769 times ]
IMG_1526.jpg
IMG_1526.jpg [ 82.02 KiB | Viewed 769 times ]
IMG_1528.jpg
IMG_1528.jpg [ 87.65 KiB | Viewed 769 times ]
IMG_1531.jpg
IMG_1531.jpg [ 107.16 KiB | Viewed 769 times ]
IMG_1544.jpg
IMG_1544.jpg [ 118.23 KiB | Viewed 769 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:10 am 

All of these are very nice looking; you did a great job. How do they sound?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:28 am 

classic recordings wrote:
All of these are very nice looking; you did a great job. How do they sound?

Nice warm little class A, tube like sound...ideal for high sensitivity speakers...I use it to drive 85dB Zaph SR71 though

See Pass's comment @#294
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-lab ... ca-30.html

Post subject: finger nail oil...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:28 am 

Used finger nail oil to fix the screws to prevent them from getting loose as time goes...nauseous smell, how can they stand it?

Attachments:
oil.jpg
oil.jpg [ 111.21 KiB | Viewed 714 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:31 am 

Those of you doubting your soldering skills should give it a shot. I learned young and am no pro. What i did do though was study NASA soldering standards. Figure if its good enough for them... it cant hurt to pick up some good habits :lol:

If voltage scares you, like it did and still does me, try something battery powered like a phono pre or Bottlehead Quickie tube preamp. You'll be surprised what even minimal skill is capable of if you just take your time.

Nice builds here. Very clean and professional. I hate idea of building cases, but youve found some good ones. If i didnt have a gainclone and F5T slowly being worked on, id have finished and been enjoying an ACA by now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:27 am 

mortron wrote:
Those of you doubting your soldering skills should give it a shot. I learned young and am no pro. What i did do though was study NASA soldering standards. Figure if its good enough for them... it cant hurt to pick up some good habits :lol:

If voltage scares you, like it did and still does me, try something battery powered like a phono pre or Bottlehead Quickie tube preamp. You'll be surprised what even minimal skill is capable of if you just take your time.

Nice builds here. Very clean and professional. I hate idea of building cases, but youve found some good ones. If i didnt have a gainclone and F5T slowly being worked on, id have finished and been enjoying an ACA by now.

F5T...WOW! Nice project.

A friend is asking me to build one for him...not sure if I can handle the weight, the chassis and heat sinks are killing heavy...over 30KG I would imagine including transformer...Hope this F5T project could start later this year, before "winter is coming..." can't help it, I am a huge fan of Game of Thrones...;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:32 am 

Frank Wang wrote:
mortron wrote:

F5T...WOW! Nice project.

A friend is asking me to build one for him...not sure if I can handle the weight, the chassis and heat sinks are killing heavy...over 30KG I would imagine including transformer...Hope this F5T project could start later this year, before "winter is coming..." can't help it, I am a huge fan of Game of Thrones...;-)

If i recall correctly, just my sinks and trafo came in at 78lb alone. I know your pain. Part of the reason its sitting in pieces and not running :lol:

Post subject: ACA goes for trannies...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:44 am 

couple of ACAs I have done using Plitron trannies...

FYI. for ACA, CRC filter can use 10000uf+R47/3W+10000uf per rail...

-- 10 Jun 2016 17:46 --

mortron wrote:
If i recall correctly, just my sinks and trafo came in at 78lb alone. I know your pain. Part of the reason its sitting in pieces and not running :lol:

If the builds were not for others, they would also sitting in peace and not running...I have a tube preamp project 2 years ago, got the parts, still sitting in basement...

Attachments:
PS_2.jpg
PS_2.jpg [ 84.26 KiB | Viewed 685 times ]
PS.jpg
PS.jpg [ 145.72 KiB | Viewed 685 times ]
 Post subject: Re: finger nail oil...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:25 am 

Frank Wang wrote:
Used finger nail oil to fix the screws to prevent them from getting loose as time goes...nauseous smell, how can they stand it?
You mean nail polish? Yeah it's probably why so many women are nutso lol.

Have you tried Locktight instead?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next