Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:45 am 

sublimesounds wrote:
Superficial scratches and such are ok, just sand smooth as planned. I would however not leave any holes, hit them with the putty its cheap insurance. The liner will cover the holes but also might cause small sunken spots at the surface, I have had that happen even with thick spray on material.

Thanks for the tips. I was going to buy EZ-Liner, but actually bought a couple of cans of Dupli-Color Bed Armor instead because it was on sale (and is polyurethane based, while I wasn't sure what the EZ-Liner was). Actually, it turned out that the Canadian Tire store where I bought them had not taken the sale price off the shelf from a couple of weeks ago (I hadn't realized it was an old sale sticker until I brought them to the cash register), so I got them for the listed sale price (which is closer to the regular price for the EZ-Liner).

-- 28 Aug 2015 14:46 --

sublimesounds wrote:
Good tape! dont skimp and get cheap stuff it can bleed and make a mess of your work, so can tape thats sat around a year or two the glue can change. I dont risk it Ill always get a fresh roll. Again cheap insurance.

I'll have to ask my wife how old ours is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:04 am 

Lol I got a huge discount once on some beautiful stainless steel magnaflow mufflers at CT they screwed up on the prices as a new location had set up and just opened that day. I was suspicious but not certain what had happened until later. By then they were already on my car :lol:

You can test the tape on some scrap. Something about time and temps that alter the glue and causes it to lose sticky then it bleeds, its can be a real disaster.

After you paint, remove the tape right away peeling it angled away from your new surface. Removing the tape before it sets up is especially important with the liner and other thick coatings as they will bond to the tape. Then chip and pull away extra material and not leave you with nice crisp lines.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:31 am 

sublimesounds wrote:
After you paint, remove the tape right away peeling it angled away from your new surface. Removing the tape before it sets up is especially important with the liner and other thick coatings as they will bond to the tape. Then chip and pull away extra material and not leave you with nice crisp lines.
Might be just as well to cut the tape off with a utility knife after the coating has dried. You'd need a seam line to follow though, and a very steady hand...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:44 am 

Well I sanded the JBL's, added some putty over any noticeable scratches and scrapes (man that stuff dries fast--works though :) ), and sanded again before spraying on multiple coats of truck liner. I have to put a few coats on the bottom this morning so I can't take any pictures yet, but they actually look pretty good from what I can see (though they're in the garage now and I'd like to see them in better light). Because I had to put on multiple coats (the instructions recommended four, and that was actually a good recommendation), I had to leave the painters tape on throughout. I will probably follow Ripblades advice and use a blade to break any seal between the tape and the cabinet before pulling the tape off (though I want to be careful with that so it's likely going to be a bit delicate and tedious).

I'll post a few pics as soon as I finish coating the bottoms and am able to get the tape off, which may well be much later in the day. I'm hoping someone will have suggestions for dealing with some of the marks on the carbon fiber baffles (which will likely stand out even more now, but I won't know for sure until I get the tape off).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:06 am 

A little late but Benjamin Moore sells oil base. Use it on all trim and doors cc40 cloud white their most popular color.

stereo3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:26 am 

Depending what the carbon composite is you might be able to polish light scratches right out, with plastic headlight renew or maybe even automotive paint polishing compound. Its most effective when done with a buffer wheel if you can get your hands on one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:21 pm 

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the finished speakers!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:47 am 

Hi_Fi_Nut wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the finished speakers!

Thanks for the interest, and I'll see if I can post a couple of pics and comments about the truck liner paint later today.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:24 pm 

So here are a couple of pics of the monitors as finished to date (I may do more work on the baffles in the future).

Overall I really like the textured, rubberized look of the truck bed liner, but as you ca see from the pics it tends to pick up fingerprints and such very easily. They may well wash off (you can see some threads on the surface near the upper corner from a 'wipe' that I used), but I think it could probably do with something to make it less prone to picking up marks. It seems quite durable and the look definitely suits a speaker like this, but I'm not sure I would use it again without some further treatment to make it less prone to fingerprints and such.

A definite improvement on what I started with, however, no question about that.

Attachments:
IMG_3745.JPG
IMG_3745.JPG [ 236.78 KiB | Viewed 843 times ]
IMG_3743.JPG
IMG_3743.JPG [ 313.13 KiB | Viewed 843 times ]
IMG_3742.JPG
IMG_3742.JPG [ 270.27 KiB | Viewed 843 times ]
IMG_3741.JPG
IMG_3741.JPG [ 346.38 KiB | Viewed 843 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:11 pm 
Premium User

Looking great Phil!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:16 pm 

Yes, nice cut lines on the masking.

The bed liner should harden after a while. It might take longer than expected, but it will never be as hard as paint.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:51 pm 

That's quite a transformation! Nicely done.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:08 am 

Great job Phil, much improved!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:00 am 

Thanks. They are definitely much improved over their previous condition, no question about that. I'll live with them for a while to see if the baffles bother me enough to want to change them, but as of right now I just want to enjoy listening to them.

As much as I'd like to take credit for the straight lines along the baffle, I was actually aided there by a small lip at the place where the baffle and sides meet. :) I just ran a marking knife along the edge to break the seal between the tape and the cabinet and everything came off fine.

Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome. It will be a bonus if the liner paint hardens a little more, but I do like the rubbery look and feel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:03 pm 

I'm listening to "Tonic" on CBC as I type this and I am absolutely loving these speakers. I was a little worried about my Luxman R-117 (my wife always tells me I worry too much), so I was lucky enough to pick up an Adcom GFA-555 for a reasonable price (so I can listen trouble free), and it is doing just fine with my old Luxman TP-117. Just beautiful.

As I said before, these are the first real 'monitors' that I've ever owned and I love the trasparency. As much as I like my other speakers, these are my favorites to date by far. Absolutely beautiful. Well, "The Signal" just started, so I think I'll just sit back and enjoy for awhile.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next