Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:53 am 

Nice job Phil, your a natural diy'er. Are the woofer cones paper? The black water based Saman stain at RONA works excellent for refreshing paper cones if you want to spruce them up too, it makes them look new again. Ive used fabric dye with exc results but find that stain works equally as well. Thats if you dont mind switching from the grey. Or are they just faded? At any rate the stain will make them a nice jet black.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:31 am 

sublimesounds wrote:
Nice job Phil, your a natural diy'er. Are the woofer cones paper? The black water based Saman stain at RONA works excellent for refreshing paper cones if you want to spruce them up too, it makes them look new again. Ive used fabric dye with exc results but find that stain works equally as well. Thats if you dont mind switching from the grey. Or are they just faded? At any rate the stain will make them a nice jet black.

Interesting. The woofers seem like paper to me. I'm not sure if they're faded or not (I wouldn't have thought so, but could well be wrong on that). One of the woofers looks like something may have rubbed against it, leaving a light, almost chalk-like mark across the surface. I inspected it as carefully as I'm able and it looks to be completely superficial with no signs of damage anywhere, but it does take away from the 'look' a little.

Would there be a risk of altering the properties and tolerances of the driver by adding stain (e.g. increasing the weight of the cone)? I'm always wary about altering things on a monitor like this, and am willing to live with them as they are if there's a risk to harming of changing the drivers (the same goes for the marks on the baffles), but I am always open to new ideas. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:34 am 

I understand your concerns. The good thing about that waterbased stain is one application is enough to black them out. And that the water acts more like a catalyst and evaporates and differences are minimal, its not leaving a layer behind like paints do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:07 am 

I would be hesitant to use any water based stains on a paper cone. If they must be stained, my first choice would be NGR (non grain rising) which is an alcohol based stain that will not affect the pulp fibres. I would be careful not to get any on the foams in case the alcohol has an adverse affect on them.

Haven't tried either, so just speculation on my part.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:43 am 

Also, the pictures make the woofers look far more washed out than they are (probably from the flash being too close). I'm sitting across from them right now and the woofers appear more like a charcoal colour than the faded grey they appear in those pics, so I really don't feel the need to mess with them.

This does raise another interesting question, however. These monitors have no speaker grill, but I have them facing the main living room window (a western orientation). Is there any danger from those paper woofers being exposed to sunlight like that? I ask because some of our framed prints and pics have faded dramatically over the years in this setting, and I'm wondering if the light exposure could deteriorate the paper woofers over time as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:59 am 

UV rays *will* accelerate the decomposition of the foam surrounds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:09 am 

Hmmm... I wonder if I should try to find some way of getting grill cloth over these. A drape hanging over from the top perhaps.... :?:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:22 am 

I doubt you'd have success as they probably weren't voiced for grille cloth. Also, anything that is acoustically transparent is bound to be so for light as well.

A small, light-blocking piece of fabric draped over them when not in use is probably your best bet. Bit of hassle though, and not as pretty...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:38 pm 

ripblade wrote:
I doubt you'd have success as they probably weren't voiced for grille cloth.

Those were my thoughts.

And I agree UV will accelerate the process, and even some kinds of artificial lighting, and the gassing out from carpet. Some cleaning agents for sure. I thought I seen surround treatment somewhere thats said to slow down the breakdown??? I armor all them, foams and rubber. have done that for some time. cant say if it helps or not but can say it makes them look purdy. Low shine armor all of course.

As far as the water based stain goes, its fine ive used it they didnt warp the cones or have ill effects. as long as you dont saturate the paper with multiple coats they will be fine. 1 light application is enough to get it done, the stuff takes well. Its not even enough to show through the inner side. But I should proabably add a disclaimer here :arrow: :!: :!: :!: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:59 pm 

Philosophil wrote:
Also, the pictures make the woofers look far more washed out than they are (probably from the flash being too close). I'm sitting across from them right now and the woofers appear more like a charcoal colour than the faded grey they appear in those pics, so I really don't feel the need to mess with them.

This does raise another interesting question, however. These monitors have no speaker grill, but I have them facing the main living room window (a western orientation). Is there any danger from those paper woofers being exposed to sunlight like that? I ask because some of our framed prints and pics have faded dramatically over the years in this setting, and I'm wondering if the light exposure could deteriorate the paper woofers over time as well.

yes sunlight do fade the colour of paper cone, they will become lighter in colour, but it will take a few years. but foam surround will dry out fast, I have seen speaker dry out after about 10 years only the speaker close to the window , the other was still fine, also electric baseboard , dry out foam, real fast. and foir water base tint, do not apply to paper cone, I try a white cone and it stein the paper, right beside the little spot I tried to cover.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:02 am 
Premium User

One option that no one has mentioned is the transparent UV film made specifically for home windows (similar to the one for car windows). You can get it in heat blocking or non heat blocking versions and rom fully transparent through several different tints, in stick-on or in roller shade versions. Extremely popular for all those south facing condos along lake Ontario and office buildings.