Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Refinishing JBL Monitors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:34 pm 

I recently picked up a pair of JBL LSR32 Monitors that were used in a working studio. I like them so much that I've decided to sell my LSR9LS speakers and use the JBL's in the living room. The problem, however, is that the cabinets have a lot of superficial dings and scrapes and I would like to make them more presentable if it's feasible. The baffle is a carbon fiber composite which I'm going to leave as it. The sides look to be HDF perhaps (it looks like MDF but seems more dense)?

I'm looking for suggestions as to how to tidy these up a bit. Should I just sand them lightly and repaint? If so, should I use oil, latex...?

Vinyl?

Other?

Attachments:
IMG_3718.JPG
IMG_3718.JPG [ 320.03 KiB | Viewed 3012 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:58 pm 

I don't think that you will find much in the way of "oil" based paint these days, as its being phased out. Just an idea, do you have any body shops nearby? If it's in the budget, you could create a pair suited to you and your decor. Then you would have something that sounds and looks good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:10 pm 

Sand lightly, fill dings with spackling and prime and paint. Use the flattest durable paint you can find. Flat will hide all the imperfections in the cabinets and you will be good to go. If painting black, have the paint store tint your primer or use a dark primer, no use painting black paint over white primer as it will take too many coats.

If you go the vinyl route, fill the dings with spackling and sand. The dings will show through if you don't do this step. Carbon fiber vinyl wrap my look good and match the fronts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:27 pm 

Those are screaming for some truck bed liner http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotiv ... nt=Default

It looks a lot better then it sounds, and its durable stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:52 pm 

Quote:
Those are screaming for some truck bed liner

how about http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-FlexiDip-11-oz-Black-Spray-Paint-276289/204726052
You can peal it off if you do not like it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:16 pm 
Premium User

You can also go the vinyl wrap route. Several threads on the technique on here. At about $6 a square foot, you can have it printed up in ANY pattern or design you want, and when you are tired of the look, you can strip it off and start over. Want to get fancy, you can even go with full-grain leather for the wrap.

Check with member Magman888' Gallery; he has done tons of TTs and speakers this way.

Attachment:
11399.jpg
11399.jpg [ 92.31 KiB | Viewed 2926 times ]

Attachment:
9449.jpg
9449.jpg [ 235.75 KiB | Viewed 2926 times ]

Attachment:
6453.jpg
6453.jpg [ 198.82 KiB | Viewed 2926 times ]

Attachment:
SDC10003.JPG
SDC10003.JPG [ 55.74 KiB | Viewed 2906 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:18 pm 

Another option that would make the carbon pop and look good would be leather.
Sides and top, one piece and very easy to do. A nexxtel type surface paint like
Reference 3A uses would also counter the hard shiny surface of the carbon baffles.

Good luck and enjoy..................

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:22 pm 

You can treat the cabinet restoration as an auto body dent and scratch repair. Start with a coarse sanding of all surfaces to knock down high spots caused by deep scratches. Fill in deeper scratches and gouges with Bondo and finer ones with Glazing putty, sand and repeat as necessary using progressively finer grits.
That process will yield a very nice smooth finish, you can then finish them in a veneer, vinyl wrap, epoxy or paint depending on your budget and determination. You would be surprised at what can be achieved with rattle can paint when applied properly.
Have fun :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:44 am 

Wow, there are some really interesting suggestions here. I'll definitely check out all those options to see what might work best for me.

I've never worked with Bondo before, but I have done a little spackling. How easy is Bondo to sand?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:49 am 
Premium User

Philosophil wrote:
Wow, there are some really interesting suggestions here. I'll definitely check out all those options to see what might work best for me.

I've never worked with Bondo before, but I have done a little spackling. How easy is Bondo to sand?

No matter what method you use to refinish them, the prep work is the most important part. Sand, fill and re-sand till they are smooth, then refinish.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:20 am 

Just wondering..what are LSR9LS speakers?

edit: Maybe Acoustic Research AR 9LS?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:36 am 

sublimesounds wrote:
Those are screaming for some truck bed liner http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotiv ... nt=Default

Wow what an eye opening( in more ways than one after watching the vid) excellent looking product. Being able to put the amount of polymer resin you want is very cool. Makes me think the question what other type product options exist similar to this. For example one that would maybe have a higher gloss type finish while retaining that slight rugged look basically much like the jbl original finish itself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:58 am 

vintageofage wrote:

Woops! Does that still count as a typo or more like a 'Freudian' styled slip...

Anyway, you're right. The speakers I am refinishing are LSR32's, the other speakers are AR9LS. Thanks for catching that.

-- 26 Aug 2015 16:08 --

vintageofage wrote:
sublimesounds wrote:

Wow what an eye opening( in more ways than one after watching the vid) excellent looking product. Being able to put the amount of polymer resin you want is very cool. Makes me think the question what other type product options exist similar to this. For example one that would maybe have a higher gloss type finish while retaining that slight rugged look basically much like the jbl original finish itself.

Yeah, I found that surprisingly interesting as well (surprising in the sense that I never would have considered or even thought of it as an option).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:10 am 

Philosophil wrote:
vintageofage wrote:

Woops! Does that still count as a typo or more like a 'Freudian' styled slip...

Anyway, you're right. The speakers I am refinishing are LSR32's, the other speakers are AR9LS. Thanks for catching that.

-- 26 Aug 2015 16:08 --

heyhey Phil.

Last edited by vintageofage on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:52 am 

Philosophil wrote:

It`s a little tougher to sand and shape than plastic wood type fillers but its much more durable, adheres better to a well prepped surface and doesn't contract or expand with temperature swings.