Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 pm 

I've been tinkering with an old pair of Leigh speakers i picked up a couple years ago and found them to be a little muddy. The drivers are in good shape thankfully, so I started in on the crossovers. Opening them up revealed a pair of capacitors but no crossover. I replaced the capacitors with some Solen metal/poly and found the was a huge improvement.

Being new to the electronics side of audio, would it be worth building an actual crossover?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:21 pm 

Maybe you could provide details concerning the number of drivers in these speakers?

I dunno, but I think a two way speaker that is vintage could have had something entirely minimalist to divide upper from lower frequencies.

Some more technically astute members will probably provide you with more elaborate explanations.

Hope you enjoy your speakers as this hobby is all about fun is it not?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:24 pm 

Those capacitors ARE the crossover. Changing it would change the sound, and you might not like the difference.
There are a number of speaker designs that use a simple capacitor crossover. Leave them as they are.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 pm 

Arguably, you do have a cross-over, it's just a very simple one (full range on the woofer, first order on the tweeter).
It would be helpful to know the exact model, but at first thought, if they cheaped out on the cross-over, how good are the drivers? Adding a more complex cross-over might help smooth the frequency response... but as you ask, would it be worth it?

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:38 pm 

If you still have some unwanted resonance (cup your hands around your mouth and speak), you can add some fiberglass insulationto the inside.
Leigh Marsland speakers would not warrant much more.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 pm 

Hi,

First order cross-overs in a two way speaker only need a single capacitor - so. as others mention above, there is a cross-over just not a very technically complex one. The woofer effectively runs full range and the tweeter's lower end slopes down from the X-over point which is set by the caps value, and I think that slope is around 12 db per octave (corrected to 6 db per octave - see below), so the two drivers actually do i]cross-over[/i].

Some designers think first order is the holy grail (EPOS say) and chose drivers with immense care in order to achieve it and thus get a coherent mid-range. You can assume that level of fanatical care was probably not applied in the case of your pair.

Cheers,
David Neice

Last edited by buybye88 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:55 pm 

As the King of making a silk purse from a sow's ear, I can say you should be content with what you've done. New and/or better caps make all the difference, and while you're doing that some wiring upgrades wouldn't hurt. Then maybe change the dampening material and you might have a vastly improved speaker. Or, like, start with good ones...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:50 pm 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

First order cross-overs in a two way speaker only need a single capacitor - so. as others mention above, there is a cross-over just not a very technically complex one. The woofer effectively runs full range and the tweeter's lower end slopes down from the X-over point which is set by the caps value, and I think that slope is around 12 db per octave, so the two drivers actually cross-over.

Some designers think first order is the holy grail (EPOS say) and chose drivers with immense care in order to achieve it and thus get a coherent mid-range. You can assume that level of fanatical care was probably not applied in the case of your pair.

Cheers,
David Neice

David. In a first order alignment with a single capacitor on the tweeter the slope would be descending at a 6db per octave.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:26 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
Those capacitors ARE the crossover. Changing it would change the sound, and you might not like the difference.
There are a number of speaker designs that use a simple capacitor crossover. Leave them as they are.

That is what I was alluding to by using the word "minimalist" and I was also going to suggest to leave well enough alone.

I am trying to be nice and polite and still get myself into trouble. :wink:

-- 16 Apr 2018 23:30 --

Well one thing you can be sure is that this crossover was not the brainchild of the late Jim Thiel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:37 pm 

Hi,

eclectique wrote: 'In a first order alignment with a single capacitor on the tweeter the slope would be descending at 6 db per octave'.

I wrote wrongly: 'at around 12 db per octave.'

Eclectique is dead right. I stand corrected. 12 db per octave would be second order. Thank god for science and group based knowledge!

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:11 pm 

Ignore all previous advice.

Slap in some dilithium crystals and you'll be amazed at the difference! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:19 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
Ignore all previous advice.

Slap in some dilithium crystals and you'll be amazed at the difference! 8)

If it's not Scotty, it's CRAP !!!

Attachments:
Scotty.jpg
Scotty.jpg [ 91.16 KiB | Viewed 759 times ]

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:36 pm 

Oh, yes, it could be worth it to build/buy a more sophisticated crossover, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:11 pm 

rustee wrote:
Oh, yes, it could be worth it to build/buy a more sophisticated crossover, sorry.

No Sir. Replacing the old lytics in series with the tweeter is all that's needed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:57 pm 

ecclectique wrote:
rustee wrote:

No Sir. Replacing the old lytics in series with the tweeter is all that's needed.

Yep. There are so many variables to consider when designing a crossover that just dropping a generic one into a speaker is a random exercise, at best. Also, the more complex the crossover design, the more amplifier power it usually requires.