Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:03 pm 

ripblade wrote:
Quote:
This is super time consuming and absolutely killed our finger tips keeping 6 conductors of 14 awg tight in a braid.

The research I did into braiding when I doing my own loom suggested that the braid should not be so tight since it stresses the metal. I'm not sure, but I believe it would increase C as well. Where did you find the suggestion that the braid should be tight?

Braiding seems like a lot of work, but I found that once a rhythm was established, the weave pattern becomes programmed into muscle memory and the whole process becomes therapeutic....I can see why some women enjoy knitting. And anyway, my loom involved only 4ft of 34ga Litz wire for a tonearm.... enough to be enjoyable without becoming arduous. :D

A lot of men enjoy knitting too. :)
http://www.menwhoknit.com/
b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 pm 

We did a lot of playing around with various CAT5 receipes. In the end we found that just a pair of strands pulled from the CAT5 cable sounded best. Now mind you the speakers we use are not likely near as current hungry as the Dynaudios — usually full range speakers with a fairly benign impedance curves, but not necessarily overly efficient, typucally 84-92 dB/1 watt.

I do use something a bit thicker for the woofers.

dave

PS: being a frugal-phile™ we ar ebig fans of CAT5, i can’t remeber the last time i had to pay for any.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

BSavvy wrote:
then it dawned on me that nobody with any skill should have to spend $400 on a set of interconnects.

I would love to have this explained to me further......

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:18 am 

mantisory wrote:
ripblade wrote:
Quote:
This is super time consuming and absolutely killed our finger tips keeping 6 conductors of 14 awg tight in a braid.

The research I did into braiding when I doing my own loom suggested that the braid should not be so tight since it stresses the metal. I'm not sure, but I believe it would increase C as well. Where did you find the suggestion that the braid should be tight?

Braiding seems like a lot of work, but I found that once a rhythm was established, the weave pattern becomes programmed into muscle memory and the whole process becomes therapeutic....I can see why some women enjoy knitting. And anyway, my loom involved only 4ft of 34ga Litz wire for a tonearm.... enough to be enjoyable without becoming arduous. :D

A lot of men enjoy knitting too. :)
http://www.menwhoknit.com/
b
I can see it being useful to knit a codpiece, but I already have enough afghans/sweaters/scarves/mittens/socks thanks to my mum. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:54 am 

Glenn, I am interested in the wire you used for your TT wires. I have a set of eichman bullets I have been saving for the project. Looking for something very lightweight to run from rca out to rca in. Cannot make up my mind, I would also be interest in how you shielded your wires. T