Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Only paying dealers and advertisers may post here. Please only post using your MAIN official dealer account, other posts will be deleted without warning.

The only replies allowed by non-dealers in this Dealer News & Announcements Forum should be directly related to what is being announced (availability, timeline, pricing, etc..) and not on the merits of the products themselves. This is not a forum for review or debate of the merits of various technologies and products being announced.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:31 am 

I wrote in my notes among other things:

"I expected it to be close to the performance of the Sky, with a little character of the Hawk. I didn't expect it to be better than both."

They look like a Totem, but sound truly evolved from the classic Totem line, including the Hawk which I have loved since I heard them.

Strictly on sound quality, I can think of no speaker that outperforms or that I enjoy more anywhere near it's price. In fact, I had more fun listening to them than the tens of dozens of listening tests I've done with our reference system. This is a personal take on them, hence my personal account post :D .

-- 22 Sep 2017 14:39 --

sthomas1049 wrote:
This is a thread created by a dealer promoting a speaker that many are interested in. Have a little respect.

Thanks bro.

I'd welcome anyone to bring their speakers for comparison if they wish. Whether you're considering them or not, it's educational at the very least. Plus I won't argue over matters of personal taste 8) . It's all for fun and love of sound!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:46 am 

Adriankn wrote:

"I expected it to be close to the performance of the Sky, with a little character of the Hawk. I didn't expect it to be better than both."

They look like a Totem, but sound truly evolved from the classic Totem line, including the Hawk which I have loved since I heard them.

Strictly on sound quality, I can think of no speaker that outperforms or that I enjoy more anywhere near it's price. In fact, I had more fun listening to them than the tens of dozens of listening tests I've done with our reference system. This is a personal take on them, hence my personal account post :D .

sthomas1049 wrote:
This is a thread created by a dealer promoting a speaker that many are interested in. Have a little respect.

Thanks bro.

I'd welcome anyone to bring their speakers for comparison if they wish. Whether you're considering them or not, it's educational at the very least. Plus I won't argue over matters of personal taste 8) . It's all for fun and love of sound!

Nicely said. Speaking of the Hawks, that is a fine sounding loudspeaker. I marveled in its amazing musicality/articulation when first heard (circa 2003/4?).

I believe anyone who is honest can agree upon a products musical and technical accuracy/honesty.

pj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:06 pm 

Adriankn wrote:

sthomas1049 wrote:

Thanks bro.

Thanks for the great writeup! I'm really curious how they handle the midrange and highs, compared to the Hawks. Do they still have that crystal clear and airy highs of the Hawks? Or is it a different feel?

Any help appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:55 pm 

Both mids and highs are faster and more open than Hawk. I wouldn't use airy to describe the highs on the Hawk myself. I would for the Sky and Sky Tower.

The Sky Tower has less tonal character than the Hawk, but slightly more than the Sky (bookshelf). If you've heard both the Hawk and Sky and like both, you'd like the Sky Tower for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:25 pm 

Adriankn wrote:
Both mids and highs are faster and more open than Hawk. I wouldn't use airy to describe the highs on the Hawk myself. I would for the Sky and Sky Tower.

The Sky Tower has less tonal character than the Hawk, but slightly more than the Sky (bookshelf). If you've heard both the Hawk and Sky and like both, you'd like the Sky Tower for sure.

Awesome! I'm currently using the Rokks which I adore for their miss and highs. I guess when I think of the Hawks, it's a stunningly holographic speaker which handles rock AND jazz so well!
Your write up has given me hope that this new tower just might be the ticket!

Really appreciate the personal post!

G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:28 am 

Adriankn wrote:

The Hawk is a finely expressive, musical transducer; a quick 'Sky' (stand-mount) audition was nowhere near that of the Hawk's musicality -whether described in "speed" or as "openness".

For readers/those interested, what exactly does "...The Sky Tower has less tonal character than the Hawk, but slightly more than the Sky (bookshelf)" mean ? Clarification required.

pj

-- 27 Sep 2017 13:32 --

Theegory wrote:
Adriankn wrote:

Awesome! I'm currently using the Rokks which I adore for their miss and highs. I guess when I think of the Hawks, it's a stunningly holographic speaker which handles rock AND jazz so well!
Your write up has given me hope that this new tower just might be the ticket!

Really appreciate the personal post!

G

Stick with the tried/true 'Hawk'. your comment about it, specifically "... it's a stunningly holographic speaker ...." describes it appropriately.

pj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:59 am 

allhifi wrote:
For readers/those interested, what exactly does "...The Sky Tower has less tonal character than the Hawk, but slightly more than the Sky (bookshelf)" mean ? Clarification required.

pj

PJ, I agree with you regarding the Hawk.

The main take away from that quote from me is the second part you did not include "If you've heard both the Hawk and Sky and like both, you'd like the Sky Tower for sure."

I would like you to hear the Sky and Sky Tower here before continuing to comment on the merits of either vs. the Hawk. Not because I don't agree that they are different or that you didn't like the Sky briefly as you heard them. And you are certainly not wrong about the Hawk being musically engaging. However tonal accuracy on the Sky (bookshelf) plus the tonal character/musicality of the Hawk might be preferred over one or the other for some individuals.

I invite everyone to hear them, as they are not the same as either the Sky or Hawk. Hearing those alone will not give you an idea of their sound, nor will reading my comments or reviews.

We believe in making informed decisions. The best thing anyone can do is listen to as much as they. That is the only call to action here. We only sell what we professionally feel represents great value. What someone personally enjoys most can only be determined by experiencing it for themselves.

Discouraging someone to experience something new when the effort to do so comes at no cost to them other than the time is an extreme disservice.

Every recommendation should be followed with the caveat that it has to be evaluated personally. Too many comments on these threads are laced with negativity and confirmation bias. This thread is only to encourage everyone that cares to have a listen to do so.

For the love of music,

I hope to listen with you soon!

Last edited by Adriankn on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:43 am 

Adriankn wrote:
allhifi wrote:

pj

PJ, I agree with you regarding the Hawk.

The main take away from that quote from me is the second part you did not include "If you've heard both the Hawk and Sky and like both, you'd like the Sky Tower for sure."

I would like you to hear the Sky and Sky Tower here before continuing to comment on the merits of either vs. the Hawk. Not because I don't agree that they are different or that you didn't like the Sky briefly as you heard them. And you are certainly not wrong about the Hawk being musically engaging. However tonal accuracy on the Sky (bookshelf) plus the tonal character/musicality of the Hawk might be preferred over one or the other for some individuals.

I have already stated that is my preference. But is certainly not gospel or the last word on the matter. But I have heard all the above speakers for many hours in multiple systems, not for a short amount of time in systems I'm not intimately familiar with.

I invite everyone to hear them, as they are not the same as either the Sky or Hawk. Hearing those alone will not give you an idea of their sound, nor will reading my comments or reviews.

Nicely said. I must inquire about the time on the Sky stand-mount I auditioned. There reason that I observed a very distinct tonal coloration (enclosure resonance I suspect -that, remarkably reminded me of some Totem models from the past. Right in the lower midrange ( 400-800 Hz.) that was so disconcerting a change to another loudspeaker brand laid bare -it was the speakers.

Naturally, oddities do occur within the break-in period, but none in my experience that resembled a enclosure resonance. A simple accelerometer (or perhaps Android 'App'?) can easily reveal the suspected panel coloration. I'd be surprised (actually, strike that, no I wouldn't) that a review indicating as much has not been undertaken/reported.

The Sky column by nature of it's internal volume increase would likely drop the primary resonance frequency -inferring a more benign characteristic.

Bear in mind, to my mind at least, that a $2-$3k investment is a substantial one, and that we all should be critical when evaluating and/or dissecting a products merits and/or shortcomings.

pj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:39 am 

allhifi wrote:
Bear in mind, to my mind at least, that a $2-$3k investment is a substantial one, and that we all should be critical when evaluating and/or dissecting a products merits and/or shortcomings.

I fully agree. However, earlier you made a statement that could discourage someone from bothering to audition competitors.

allhifi wrote:
Stick with the tried/true 'Hawk'. your comment about it, specifically "... it's a stunningly holographic speaker ...." describes it appropriately.

Not that your evaluation of the Hawk is, or really could be wrong - by virtue of it being your personal opinion. And I share the same enthusiasm for the Hawk as a seriously musical loudspeaker.

I'm just encouraging everyone to form their own opinion, regardless of what I or anyone thinks or says. No disrespected intended at all. Quite the opposite. Thank you Pj.

Last edited by Adriankn on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:46 am 

Adriankn wrote:
allhifi wrote:

I fully agree. However, earlier you made a statement that could discourage someone from bothering to audition competitors.

allhifi wrote:

Not that your personally evaluation of the Hawk is, or really could be wrong - by virtue of it being your personal opinion. And I share the same enthusiasm for the Hawk as a seriously musical loudspeaker.

I'm just encouraging everyone to form their own opinion, regardless of what I or anyone thinks or says. No disrespected intended at all. Quite the opposite. Thank you Pj.

None taken. Indeed, we really should all be grateful for the abundance of fine gear available today. clearly, we've (the industry) have moved light-years from that of near all offerings from the 20-th century!

May we continue to be inspired and enlightened by music ...

peter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:13 am 

I Have the room booked and will be there in about a week. If they're as good as you say they are maybe I'll buy both and put them in rotation with my Model One Sigs given how economical they are to buy. I still wanna hear the Forests though. :D