Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Only paying dealers and advertisers may post here. Please only post using your MAIN official dealer account, other posts will be deleted without warning.

The only replies allowed by non-dealers in this Dealer News & Announcements Forum should be directly related to what is being announced (availability, timeline, pricing, etc..) and not on the merits of the products themselves. This is not a forum for review or debate of the merits of various technologies and products being announced.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:29 am 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

With a great deal of excitement, I am proud to introduce The Nostalgia Company to service customers in Southern Ontario. Based in London, the brick and mortar store at 299 Springbank Drive will feature a wide variety of vintage and retro collectibles.

However, the specialty will provide restoration and repair services to customers vintage audio equipment. As well as sales of serviced or restored amps, receivers, turntables, etc.

Opening this upcoming Tuesday, October 11, I will follow up shortly with additional information.

I look forward to meeting you!

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:36 pm 

A very worthy and appreciated service my friend. I wish you every great success. Vintage electronics are just damn cool all day long !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:48 pm 

Great news! Congrats on your opening. It's certainly a difficult to find service that should serve the audio enthusiast community well. Please post pics of your store.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:01 pm 

Great news...I have a few Sansui integrated I'd love to get serviced.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:37 am 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

Thank you for words of encouragement! I will post some pics once the empty shelves are full. Still lots of work to do this weekend.

One my goals is keep old gear out of the landfill. To support that goal each piece will be evaluated and negotiated with the owner regarding price.

I can bench test all amps and receivers to ensure they meet or exceed manufacturers specs on rated power and total harmonic distortion. Customers will receive a written report on the specs as well as work completed. A warranty on the work completed will also be provided.

Finally, a debit/credit machine is in place for payment options. My phone number will be 226-504-5321.

Regards
Bob

Last edited by The Nostalgia Co on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:25 pm 

3 cheers for Bob at the Nostalgia Co. ! :D

I wish you every great success bro and will refer ALL vintage inquiries your way.

This is an amazing service you are offering Bob and is simply great to see someone who has a love for vintage audio.

Bravo !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:22 am 

Website Bob? Congrats on your new endeavour. Gotta love the old stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:57 pm 

If I need an Anthem power amp recapped, is that something you would do? It's not exactly vintage but if the time comes just wondering if you would do that kind of work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:20 pm 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

Champ, there will be a website. I have purchased a couple of domain names and have played around with WordPress. It will take me a bit to get it going. I will update when it goes live.

L-Man, yes I do recapping.

The store is open but there is still a lot of shelf space to stock. Mostly, I wanted to get the word out that I can take in gear for restoration or repair. More info to come.......

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:37 pm 

Hi I have a Meridian 558 amp 3 years ago on three of the boards I had a bunch of burnt resistors probably around a dozen all in one spot on all three boards. I took the boards to Brightronics he said he could repair them turned out he had no idea what he was doing and instead of just de-soldering the burt pats and replacing them he somehow decided to cut the square sectionsin of the board out and glue a new piece of board in place he's had the boards for 3 years now and still say's he could fix them but of course he cannot as they are 5 layer boards so they are destroyed , anyhow I have been using the amp as stereo mode but now one more board has suffered the same burned resistors can you repair this board?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:41 pm 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

integrityhifi wrote:
Hi I have a Meridian 558 amp 3 years ago on three of the boards I had a bunch of burnt resistors probably around a dozen all in one spot on all three boards. I took the boards to Brightronics he said he could repair them turned out he had no idea what he was doing and instead of just de-soldering the burt pats and replacing them he somehow decided to cut the square sectionsin of the board out and glue a new piece of board in place he's had the boards for 3 years now and still say's he could fix them but of course he cannot as they are 5 layer boards so they are destroyed , anyhow I have been using the amp as stereo mode but now one more board has suffered the same burned resistors can you repair this board?

Thank you for the message. Unfortunately, the amp is not one I would work on.

Regards
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:21 am 

Isn't that the old Speed City records?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:02 pm 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

Yes it is. Speed City moved across the street and I moved in. I will have a small record section to check out.

The old store got a fresh coat of paint and new carpet and looks pretty good. I will find some to post pics soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:40 pm 

Hello sounds like a welcome addition to our London market! Could you please post for CAM members what kinds of service you will undertake (eg. Amps, turntables, tube, solid state etc ?) and your qualifications? I think that would help us all understand your market positioning and capabilities relative to competitors. Thank you and best of luck with your venture.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:11 pm 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

Hi allearz,

I am starting the business with focus on restoration and repair of all vintage solid state gear. I have invested in test equipment to support solid state including recent AM/FM alignment analyzers. I believe that I also offer a unique customer experience through buy, sell, and trade of all things vintage. If a customer no longer has interest in their old Nintendo and would like to negotiate some stereo work in trade, I can do that. You will see by the pics of the store, it is focused on audio but also supported with vintage collectibles.

Depending on demand I may invest capital on test gear to service tube and modern equipment. We will see.

As for my experience, I have been a collector all my life. A number of the non-stereo items in my store are from my childhood, including my first computer (Adam- the Colecovision computer). I am 45 and my interest in electronics started young with the early handheld electronics, then progressed to game consoles such as Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Colecovision. From there it went to the early home computers, Vic 20, Commodore 64, Apple II, and my Adam. In my teens I bought my first Nakamichi cassette deck and have been interested in audio ever since.

When it came time to decide on a career, I moved to London and graduated from Fanshawe College with an Electronics Technician diploma in 1992. I worked as a service tech in office equipment and telecom. Most recently on big Reds cellular network in London. At the same time I have worked as a electronic hobbyist and restored pieces that have sold locally and on this website. Take a look at my feedback to view the type of work I do.

Drop by the store sometime and we can chat some more. I have had a few CAMers in already.

Regards,
Bob

Attachments:
File comment: Work bench
IMG_3701.JPG
IMG_3701.JPG [ 331.44 KiB | Viewed 3206 times ]
File comment: Stuff
IMG_3705.JPG
IMG_3705.JPG [ 343.95 KiB | Viewed 3206 times ]
File comment: Games
IMG_3696.JPG
IMG_3696.JPG [ 302.7 KiB | Viewed 3206 times ]