Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:17 pm 

rich55 wrote:
Close to the Edge wrote:
Put in a PayPal claim (assuming you were smart enough to use PayPal).

Paid EMT... I guess I can just hope he corrects the situation one way or the other. We'll see...

Good luck. A lesson learned hopefully.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:24 pm 

rich55 wrote:
audioroom wrote:
I would wait a few days to get a response. If you are not happy, what would you like to happen? Full refund, partial refund etc. It does appear this unit was misrepresented and you are entitled to compensation or a full refund.

You are certainly entitled to leave negative feedback. However, that is a last resort and you should attempt to remedy the situation with the seller first.

OK thanks! So that is generally what is done here? If he offers a full refund, I should not leave a negative review? Also, should I ask to be refunded for the shipping charges? (original and sending back). It seems to me that the seller misrepresented his product so badly he should be responsible for all my costs, or am I pushing it?

The seller only had one feedback and I figured (naively) that I'd give him a shot. I have bought here on many occasions and never had a problem...

Thanks guys!

Yes - that is how most people would conduct their transactions on here. We are not looking to make money but we do not want to get scammed either. If he offers a full refund I would take it. However, the shipping charges may be difficult to get and I personally would be quite happy to eat the shipping charges if I got my money back. Otherwise, maybe a partial refund would be a better solution in your case as you would save on the shipping costs.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:46 pm 

Okay, I'm a cynic. But if it was one or two slight scratches that would be a mistake. You are not getting a full refund offer, and maybe not even a response. Leave the feedback. Seriously, who else here would want to deal with that seller?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:14 pm 

rich55 wrote:
Hey guys!
I need advice. I have never had to give a negative feedback. I want to check and see with you guys before I do, as I know that leaving negative feedback is serious business.
I purchased an Oppo Bdp-103 and it arrived today. It seems in good working condition but cosmetically, it isn’t at all as described. Now, I do partly blame myself. The pictures on the ad are blurry and I did not insist on better pictures. He rated the player a 9. I asked him more details and this was his reply:
“The unit works perfectly without any hic-ups…. Physical condition is also very good, no scratches etc... “
The unit has multiple deep scratches, nicks on the top/front edge of faceplate. Being that it’s a black unit you can very clearly see the metal underneath (from 10ft away). The back has also many deep scratches around different ports.
In my opinion, this should have been rated a 6 (a 5 if you use rating system rigorously but anyway…).
I contacted him this morning and have not had a response yet.
What do you guys think? Negative review worthy?
Thanks for your input!

What OBI said and you can touch up those tiny exposed aluminum edges with a black marker pen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:19 pm 

Let him know that you have sought the advice of CAM members through a forum thread, and refer him to it to read. This should wake him up, especially the contribution from OBI, a well respected member and moderator. I would request a refund, plus shipping expenses. You should not be out any fund due to misrepresentation .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:43 pm 

cyrus wrote:
Let him know that you have sought the advice of CAM members through a forum thread, and refer him to it to read. This should wake him up, especially the contribution from OBI, a well respected member and moderator. I would request a refund, plus shipping expenses. You should not be out any fund due to misrepresentation .

I think I will. I sent him a second email since his last where i told him i think he has been less than honest. I asked him to at least tell me if he sent it that way and that we would take it from there. The idea that I would have to write a negative reviews really upsets me. I really wish we can find another solution.
But up to now, no response. It is late though... If he does not reply, I will follow your suggestion and send him this thread's link. Hopefully this might insight him to be more responsive.
Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:21 pm 

It's human nature to attribute bad intentions in situations when you are not being treated fairly but lack hard data on what the other person's intentions really are. That said, the seller would have to be pretty clueless to describe this unit as a 9/10, which lends credence to the idea that he/she is being less than genuine in their dealings. Decide on how much time you're going to give them to reply, decide on the outcome that makes the most to you given the circumstances, and if the seller doesn't step up within the time allotted, swallow hard and give them the feedback they deserve. Other potential buyers depend on the feedback system being used in the manner for which it was intended.
Best of luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 pm 

Any seller can make a mistake when they describe their gear but, this was either a fraudulent misrepresentation of the DVD player or the seller is incompetent at rating equipment. At any rate everyone so far is in agreement that the DVD player is not as described. I hope it gets resolved quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:41 pm 

Winter_vinyl wrote:
It's human nature to attribute bad intentions in situations when you are not being treated fairly but lack hard data on what the other person's intentions really are. That said, the seller would have to be pretty clueless to describe this unit as a 9/10, which lends credence to the idea that he/she is being less than genuine in their dealings. Decide on how much time you're going to give them to reply, decide on the outcome that makes the most to you given the circumstances, and if the seller doesn't step up within the time allotted, swallow hard and give them the feedback they deserve. Other potential buyers depend on the feedback system being used in the manner for which it was intended.
Best of luck.

Hey, I've received items that are not exactly in the rated condition. Never even mentioned it to members I've dealt with. But this is overboard. At lest I think so... A 5 instead of a 9? actually tells me no scratches?? Still, Ill give him time to explain.
Thanks for the good advice...
Something else just has occurred to me. I've seen retaliatory negative feedback here on CAM (I give you a negative because you gave me one). I suppose this is not permitted if there is no good reason?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:02 am 

rich55 wrote:
Winter_vinyl wrote:
Best of luck.

Hey, I've received items that are not exactly in the rated condition. Never even mentioned it to members I've dealt with. But this is overboard. At lest I think so... A 5 instead of a 9? actually tells me no scratches?? Still, Ill give him time to explain.
Thanks for the good advice...
Something else just has occurred to me. I've seen retaliatory negative feedback here on CAM (I give you a negative because you gave me one). I suppose this is not permitted if there is no good reason?

He would have no grounds to reciprocate.If he does contact moderator they will quickly review and see that its unjustified and it will be removed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:58 am 

Did the seller respond to you yet? Was the seller member, XXXXXX (I note that he sold an Oppo 103 for $475 in the last 10 days, and the ad has two very fuzzy photos in it, as you described). I ask because according to his User Profile he was last scene "today," which means he's on-line and logging into CAM. I would expect, therefore, that he's read the emails you sent him, maybe even this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:17 am 

Those marks suggest the player has been moved a fair bit for whatever reason. It could have been stacked on a heap of other players sitting in a Value Village as well, which could also explain the condition. Think about why it might be in the condition it's in and where the seller might have bought it. Owners of slightly higher end product like this usually take care of their components. However, if they buy them used off a thrift store shelf, that would explain the condition- maybe. The out of focus pics in the ad would have caused me to go to the next one. That is if I was looking for a cd player which I am not.

Anyone misrepresents a product they are selling should either be prepared to offer a partial (you keep the item) refund or all your money back, returned item, or get listed with bad feedback. That's one of benefits of dealing on a website where you have regular or semi reg sellers that depend on their rep. If they didn't, there would be even more misrepresentation when they list.

In this case, requesting proper photos should do. I think CAM should consider a demerit point system where if someone lists and ad with a misleading photo (out of focus, too dark, veiled photo hiding defects), they get a point against them. Three points over their entire time on CAM and they get banned. That forces them to start over in terms of feedback etc..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:59 am 

He definitely misrepresented it. It looks like he has several items marked as sold but has only received one feedback! I'm guessing that you might possibly not be the only disgruntled person to have dealt with him! Give him a chance to make amends but you need to do what you need to do and it might be a wake up call for him!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:07 am 

Send seller a link to this thread asking him to contact you so you can explore options. If he does not handle this transaction well, his future on CAM will be tainted forever more, and he alone will therefore decide his "OWN" future. Condition was clearly rated incorrectly. Good luck...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:16 am 
Premium User

Please be careful when "outing" a specific member in a forum thread.

He has not had a chance to defend, or not defend or present his side of the story. Generally speaking, we ALWAYS allow both parties to communicate and to attempt a resolution before involving a moderator for assistance. If and when all of those steps fail or no resolution can be negotiated, THEN and only then should a member be outed in the forums, not before. It is all a matter of fairness and due process, not a matter of allowing a lynch mod mentality to run wild. It is preferable that if you do have such questions, you should address them with the OP via Private Message (PM) rather than in the public forums.

Also remember that just because someone has logged into the CAM Classified site, does not mean that he has logged into the Forums or that he has even ever logged into the forums.

CAM Moderation Team

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2