Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:57 pm 

Hey guys!
I need advice. I have never had to give a negative feedback. I want to check and see with you guys before I do, as I know that leaving negative feedback is serious business.
I purchased an Oppo Bdp-103 and it arrived today. It seems in good working condition but cosmetically, it isn’t at all as described. Now, I do partly blame myself. The pictures on the ad are blurry and I did not insist on better pictures. He rated the player a 9. I asked him more details and this was his reply:
“The unit works perfectly without any hic-ups…. Physical condition is also very good, no scratches etc... “
The unit has multiple deep scratches, nicks on the top/front edge of faceplate. Being that it’s a black unit you can very clearly see the metal underneath (from 10ft away). The back has also many deep scratches around different ports.
In my opinion, this should have been rated a 6 (a 5 if you use rating system rigorously but anyway…).
I contacted him this morning and have not had a response yet.
What do you guys think? Negative review worthy?
Thanks for your input!

Attachments:
oppo 4.jpg
oppo 4.jpg [ 314.06 KiB | Viewed 2246 times ]
oppo 1.jpg
oppo 1.jpg [ 260.09 KiB | Viewed 2246 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:13 pm 

I think you're right.
Leaving negative feedback is serious business.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:21 pm 

How did you pay? What remedy are you seeking? Do you want to return the player for a refund, or would you be satisfied with a reduction in the selling price?

Last edited by EL34 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:21 pm 
Premium User

The damage is quite a bit more severe than what would warrant even a 6. A 5 rating would be closer to reality based on the pictures you have supplied as this unit is most certainly NOT a 9.

9/10: Excellent - Perfect physical condition, light use.

The item should be a one-owner or store-demo piece to qualify for a 9/10, though some exceptions will exist.  The item should appear as new unless a very close inspection is performed, as described below.

Electronics should look factory fresh except for dust in crevices.   The plating on i/o connectors may show some use, but no discoloration or oxidation.  The item should never have been rack mounted.  Chrome should have no pitting and no discoloration.

6/10: Fair - 3 to 4 minor scratches (I count 12 gouges and scratches on the front plate in the first picture alone and I am legally blind in my left eye), or 1 major scratch, appears used.

Electronics may have one major scratch (over 2" long, deep enough to show metal) or a slight dent on one of the surfaces.  The item must NOT have any major scratches on the front facia, but may have some nicks along the top front edge.   Chrome may show obvious pitting, but should not have any flakes.  Transformer covers may have some scratches, but cannot show any rust.   Silk-screening is separating from the glass in more than one area, and some lettering is worn off, but the glass must have no cracks or chips.

5/10: Average - Multiple scratches, including some on the front face.

This piece is visibly scratched and noticeably used, any major scratches on the front face qualify for a 5/10. 

Electronics may have several minor nicks or one major scratch on the front.  Chrome is showing some pitting, maybe a flake or two has come off.   Transformer covers show some rust, as do their mounting screws.  Silcreening is separating from the glass in two or more areas, or the glass has one minor crack less than 1/2" long.

This is a clear case of the item not being in the condition it was advertised as being and if the seller does not respond within 24 hours or offer some sort of compensation or arrangement, negative feedback is warranted.

CAM Moderation Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:27 pm 

EL34 wrote:
How did you pay? What remedy are you seeking? Do you want to return the player for a refund, or would you be satisfied with a reduction in the selling price?

475.00, the asking price. Did not haggle at all. I would have been glad to pay that much for a 9, or even a 8... Either solution I guess... but I do want to warn future byers though...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:28 pm 

give seller a day or two
communicate in an adult manner (whatever that means lol)
try to convince seller he was not accurate in his description and he should refund a %
if seller ignores or resorts to child-like behavior he gets a big fat NEGATIVE
hopefully you paid with paypal, ifso login to your account on the resolution page and open a dispute

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:29 pm 

Wow, she looks beat, I had one up that I rated a 7 because it had smudges on the top!!!! Give him a day or so, explain your disappointment, and me, I would want a big reduction or a total refund. Has he sold much on CAM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:34 pm 

I would wait a few days to get a response. If you are not happy, what would you like to happen? Full refund, partial refund etc. It does appear this unit was misrepresented and you are entitled to compensation or a full refund.

You are certainly entitled to leave negative feedback. However, that is a last resort and you should attempt to remedy the situation with the seller first.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:42 pm 

audioroom wrote:
I would wait a few days to get a response. If you are not happy, what would you like to happen? Full refund, partial refund etc. It does appear this unit was misrepresented and you are entitled to compensation or a full refund.

You are certainly entitled to leave negative feedback. However, that is a last resort and you should attempt to remedy the situation with the seller first.

OK thanks! So that is generally what is done here? If he offers a full refund, I should not leave a negative review? Also, should I ask to be refunded for the shipping charges? (original and sending back). It seems to me that the seller misrepresented his product so badly he should be responsible for all my costs, or am I pushing it?

The seller only had one feedback and I figured (naively) that I'd give him a shot. I have bought here on many occasions and never had a problem...

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 pm 

I meant HOW did you pay? Cash, EMT, or, hopefully, Paypal? If by paypal you can file a dispute and if you win, you would get your money back. If you paid by another means, then things could be tougher. You could use the definitions OBI has provided to demonstrate to the seller that he didn't grade the Oppo accurately, and hope he responds. If he doesn't respond, or only responds to tell you to take a flying leap, then negative feedback is certainly warranted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:53 pm 

Leave him the appropriate feedback now. Allow him the opportunity to dig his way back out of the hole.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:00 pm 

Thanks for all the good advice guys! I'll wait for a response on his part and let you know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:00 pm 

Put in a PayPal claim (assuming you were smart enough to use PayPal).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:04 pm 

Close to the Edge wrote:
Put in a PayPal claim (assuming you were smart enough to use PayPal).

Paid EMT... I guess I can just hope he corrects the situation one way or the other. We'll see...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:06 pm 

rich55 wrote:
Hey guys!
I need advice. I have never had to give a negative feedback. I want to check and see with you guys before I do, as I know that leaving negative feedback is serious business.
I purchased an Oppo Bdp-103 and it arrived today. It seems in good working condition but cosmetically, it isn’t at all as described. Now, I do partly blame myself. The pictures on the ad are blurry and I did not insist on better pictures. He rated the player a 9. I asked him more details and this was his reply:
“The unit works perfectly without any hic-ups…. Physical condition is also very good, no scratches etc... “
The unit has multiple deep scratches, nicks on the top/front edge of faceplate. Being that it’s a black unit you can very clearly see the metal underneath (from 10ft away). The back has also many deep scratches around different ports.
In my opinion, this should have been rated a 6 (a 5 if you use rating system rigorously but anyway…).
I contacted him this morning and have not had a response yet.
What do you guys think? Negative review worthy?
Thanks for your input!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next