Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: What would you think?
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:48 am 

Last week I purchased an item from a member who lived in a neighboring city (3 hrs away). We met halfway in between our home cities to facilitate an easy in person transaction. The member has not traded extensively on CAM but has good feedback for all of the transactions he's been rated on, and the item was in the near new condition as described in his ad. Here comes the strange part; when I was at the bank the morning of the transaction I withdrew an extra $100 for a Kijiji transaction later in the day. I made the mistake of not recounting the cash when handing it over for the audio gear, and when I got home I realized that I was pretty sure I gave him all of the cash and didn't hold back the other $100 as my wallet was $100 short.... Now, I suppose I could have left it on the counter at the bank machine or it could have fallen out of my vehicle - but I didn't make any other stops that involved cash at all that morning. What gives me a funky feeling about it is that the seller seems to have revised his ad for the item that I purchased upwards by $100 when he got home from our meeting. I sent him an email when I realized my likely mistake, and he responded last night after being away for the weekend that I gave him the right amount. Other than this I'd love to give him a good feedback for the transaction but the revision upwards of the price after the fact that exactly corresponds with the amount I seemingly overpaid makes me uneasy.

Am I overthinking this?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:12 am 

I'm wondering if the mods or admin can see if he changed the ad up by $100 after the close.* I would always count the cash out to the buyer and get him to watch and verify. This one's pretty sleazy....

*caveat - this would be for piece of mind I think only. But knowing it might stimulate him to come clean.

Last edited by Che Cavolo on Mon May 25, 2015 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:24 am 

How long was the ad up for, was it weeks? If so, you may be able to retrieve the original price from some search engine Web cache.

Based on the 3hr distance, I am assuming the seller is from the Hat. If the above is true (though based on what you said there is room for doubt) I would certainly like to avoid any potential dealings with that person locally.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:41 am 

The person was from Edmonton....not the Hat.. No need to worry :)

I do have a copy of the original ad from a webcache a couple of days prior to the sale that shows the original, lower price.

There is definitely room for doubt, which is why I am really not sure what to do.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:50 am 
Premium User

What you SHOULD do in any case involving a dispute regarding a Sale is to use the Report this Ad link in every ad to contact the Moderation team BEFORE creating a thread in the Forums. The mods will attempt to help mediate an agreement behind the scenes.

This thread is now being locked to prevent the inevitable pile-on of destructive comments that usually leads to reputations (buyer and/or seller) getting ruined.

CAM Moderation Team

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]