Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:22 pm 

I bought a Linn LP12 from CAM member ssimster on January 18, 2015. We had agreed upon a price for the turntable and shipping, I transferred the fund to him via e-transfer/EMT. He promptly shipped the turntable to me on the 20th of January advising me of the tracking number and that the turntable was insured for $1000. I receive the Linn on the 27th of January and when I opened the packaging there were some issue. The turntable was wrapped in plastic and placed inside the box with no other padding around the sides or bottom of the turntable. There was foam padding on top of the turntable and the inner platter and out platter were packed in a separate box on top of the foam. There was more padding around the box containing the inner and outer platters. Upon removed the turntable and unwrapping it I discovered that the tone arm had only been secured by the plastic latch on the tone arm rest. The tone arm had come free of its rest, the counterweight had spun off the arm and proceeded to bounce around under the dustcover, punching a hole right through the side of the dustcover. The counterweight also knocked the head shell of the tone arm and one of the screws securing the arm board to the sub-chassis had pulled out and was floating around under the dustcover. I then opened the box containing the inner and outer platter and discovered that they weren’t padded or secured properly and that the inner platter had punch through the side of the box and the spindle had snapped completely off. Replacing the dustcover and inner platter with bearing was equivalent to what I paid for the turntable and that’s assuming the tone arm was still functional. I took photos of the turntable straight away and email them to ssimster advising him of the damaged that had happened during shipping and asking if he could open a claim with Canada Post as the sender must initiate the claim. He responded quickly and said that it was his fault and he would start the claim right away and asked for my phone number in case Canada Post needed to get a hold of me. I asked if he wanted me to return the table and he told me to throw it out. I said that it still had parts value and offered to let him keep a portion of the funds and I would use the turntable for parts. Since this time I have done a follow up email with Sergey every week up until the 19th of February and I have always been polite and understanding during this correspondence. In the correspondence of February 19th I asked if it would be possible for him to reimburse me while he waited for the claim to be processed but he told me his business was slow and didn’t have money to pay me, he would contact me the following week and let me know how thing were progressing and if he received money he’d pay me right away and not to worry. I didn’t hear back from him so I emailed him again on March 5th and getting no response I called Canada Post to see if I could check on the claim status myself and was advised that no claim had ever been opened for this shipment. I emailed ssimster again on March 6th to ask him whether I was ever going to be reimbursed or was I left with a broken turntable and out the money I paid. I told him I felt he had not been truthful with me. Unfortunately I have no idea whether insurance was actually purchased and you’re left with relying on the honestly and integrity of the shipper to file claim should the need arise. It really puts a sour taste in your mouth when you have an experience like this and you really have no recourse other than to post about what transpired. I contacted him one last time asking for a response and explanation but I have received no reply and said I would have no choice but to leave negative feedback. Low and behold he must have marked the ad as off and not sold because it doesn't show up in his sold listings so now I can't even leave feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:32 pm 
Premium User

Was it this ad or something more recent?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... ules_2_ps/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:35 pm 

Insurance does not cover items that were improperly packed. Linn provides very detailed dissassembly/packing and shipping instruction and offers for sale LP12 specific boxes. Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:37 pm 

The ad was from mid January of this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:38 pm 

Was PayPal not accepted for payment?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:45 pm 

Unfortunately I paid with interact e-transfer and not paypal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:52 pm 

I guess with 50 good CAM transactions why wouldn't you. (I reckon I would have). Sorry to hear this - this sucks. Hopefully everything works out for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:53 pm 

Have you contacted the moderators about this? Only they will be able to really help you out with this.

OBI56
Toby
angust

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:06 pm 

Is there a place where you can purchase "Shock" indicators as single units rather than 100/Box?
http://www.uline.ca/BL_1053/Shockwatch

Items such as this attached to a package containing a turntable would easily indicate a mishandled package...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:15 pm 

AudiOhm wrote:
Is there a place where you can purchase "Shock" indicators as single units rather than 100/Box?
http://www.uline.ca/BL_1053/Shockwatch

Items such as this attached to a package containing a turntable would easily indicate a mishandled package...

Regards
Ohms

Thanks for this post.Brilliant idea must get me some.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:34 pm 

I know it doesn't provide any help here, but a Linn LP12 without the original packing is prone to a catastrophic damages...
Unlessit is packed with injected foam the takes TT shape and protected double box will do.
Beside the platter itself weight 9lbs and is an heavy thing packed in the same box with a delicate tonearm, ouch!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:00 pm 

its a horrible situation to be sure...I have no idea how you navigate through that...I have to say that a TT is one thing I would never buy second hand and certainly nothing I would buy second hand and then have shipped

I do feel for you, awful

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:36 pm 

Wow I feel terrible for you…lesson learned,if you had used Paypal all would of been good for you right now.
Paypal protects the buyer…If the seller is smart he insures the item for his own protection..
He obviosly never had the table insured and did not care because he got paid…maybe you got set up it could of already been broken.
This seller should be booted off CAM…What was his handle again so we can stay clear of this person.
Its amazing that there are people out there with no morals and ethics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:13 pm 

toygonewrong wrote:
Unfortunately I paid with interact e-transfer and not paypal.

Wow this sucks. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I had a similar experience with a vintage guitar that I purchased on eBay. It was a 1950s hollow-body electric. The seller shipped it from Florida in a case that was slightly too big for the guitar. There was no extra padding inside the case to secure the guitar. One of the plastic strap pegs broke off during shipping and punctured a small hole through the guitar's body. In my situation the seller refunded me the cost to have the guitar repaired - which wasn't cheap. So I got lucky. In your situation, the seller is liable for neglecting to properly secure the contents knowing its fragility. He should refund you in full (you return the TT). Or worse case scenario, a partial refund (you keep the TT for parts).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:24 pm 

Don't expect to go after Canadapost for the money as it clearly was not packed properly.
Send it back to the seller and get your money back,........

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next