Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post subject: getting ripped
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:30 am 

when buying an item off of here is there any way of protecting myself from someone just taking my money and not shipping item? paypal money order money wire are the payment choices from seller. thnx

Post subject: Re: getting ripped
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:56 am 

[quote="tred2014"]when buying an item off of here is there any way of protecting myself from someone just taking my money and not shipping item? paypal money order money wire are the payment choices from seller. thnx[/quote]

PayPal is the best method.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:02 am 

[quote="tred2014"]when buying an item off of here is there any way of protecting myself from someone just taking my money and not shipping item? paypal money order money wire are the payment choices from seller. thnx[/quote]

rule 1- check out the seller's reputation/feedback etc.
have you had communication with the seller? email? phone? are you asking questions and getting satisfactory answers with sufficient detail about what you are buying and how the item will be shipped, etc etc.?
Paypal is usually a pretty safe method of payment. But do NOT use the "gift" option. if you are using Paypal for a purchase, then select that designation.
If the item is not received they have a process for filing a complaint, they will investigate and can recover your funds if they believe you have been defrauded.
Also if you are using your credit card to fund the Paypal account, the credit card company can also investigate and reverse charges on a transaction if they are satisfied a fraudulent activity has occured.

most reputable sellers will use some shipment method that is trackable and traceable and requires a signature as proof of delivery.
once the seller ships the item they should send you the tracking number and you can follow the progress of the item on the website for FedEX, UPS, or Canada Post etc. and yes this is even possible if the item is coming from outside of Canada.
best of luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:12 am 

A lot of people do it the old fashion way - face to face.
This way you get to see and hear the item before you shell out your coin.
If you must have an item shipped definitely deal with reputable members with good feedback. Make sure that feedback is for selling items not just buying as that is a different skill set.
Call the seller and talk to them. If you are still not comfortable pass on the item.
Bottom line is don't get involved in any transaction you don't feel comfortable with.
Also, PayPal will protect you but with if a buyer has no feedback as a seller I would hesitate dealing with them. Scams can go both ways.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:02 am 

Avoid being scammed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:45 am 

[quote="angust63"][url=http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/scams.php]Avoid being scammed![/url][/quote]

I speak to alot of sellers by phone. It makes them comfortable and it gives me peace of mind. I spoken to fellas that have no feedback and they turn out 99% of the time to be good guys. There is the odd guy well you know what I mean.
Usually it's a very few guys that make things bad. I learned a long time ago that there's always one a**hole in the crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:35 am 

research what type of protection you have when paying with different payment methods.

usually when a person insists on only one type of payment it is for a reason "no way for you to get refunded"

now this is not always the case, I dont use paypal, so that would limit me as to who i could deal with.

paypal is your safest bet for any transactions that are not trusted company based.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:46 am 

[quote="angust63"][url=http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/scams.php]Avoid being scammed![/url][/quote]

I've gone through this, here's my problem

Saturday morning a customer came by to audition my integrated amp, it was set up with a tuner and a CD player. He auditioned the amp with his own CD's which were classical with many very soft passages and many loud orchestral. He was happy with the amp and paid me and left in a cab. I saw the driver put the amp which didn't have a box in the trunk. This evening at around 10pm he contacted me to say that the amp had a "big humming noise". He wants to return it for a refund. The amp left my place in fine shape or he wouldn't have taken it. If there had been any noise why would he buy it? I never thought this would happen to me as I always offer an audition, as long, within reason as you wish, He listened for 45 minutes.
What should I do? I don't want this amp back if he has in some way damaged it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:17 am 

[quote="Fenderbender"][quote="angust63"][url=http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/scams.php]Avoid being scammed![/url][/quote]

I've gone through this, here's my problem

Saturday morning a customer came by to audition my integrated amp, it was set up with a tuner and a CD player. He auditioned the amp with his own CD's which were classical with many very soft passages and many loud orchestral. He was happy with the amp and paid me and left in a cab. I saw the driver put the amp which didn't have a box in the trunk. This evening at around 10pm he contacted me to say that the amp had a "big humming noise". He wants to return it for a refund. The amp left my place in fine shape or he wouldn't have taken it. If there had been any noise why would he buy it? I never thought this would happen to me as I always offer an audition, as long, within reason as you wish, He listened for 45 minutes.
What should I do? I don't want this amp back if he has in some way damaged it.[/quote]

Lol! I just went thru the exact same thing a few months ago! Amp was auditioned twice on two seperate days. Next day after purchase email rec'd saying left channel hum and not happy and wants to return.
My response "check all yer connections, amp left here fine"
Sometimes it's buyers remore, sometimes it's buyers stupidity.
In my buyers case it was a faulty connection with one of his cables...always so easy to blame others.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:32 am 

One way you can do this :

Talk to your buyer and establish that you both agree the amp was working fine at your place when he demo'ed it. Follow BinkyTheCat's advice, below, and ask the buyer to check his connections and setup. If that doesn't fix things, tell him you are willing to check out his claim of a defect. Ask him to bring the amp back and leave it with you. If you do this, it may be a good idea for you to give him a receipt, which you both sign, and keep a signed copy for yourself.

After you get the amp back, as soon as you can, check out the amp visually. Is there any sign of new damage, or tampering ? If so, call the buyer back and explain. Tell him you are not responsible for anything that happened to the amp after he left with it, and go from there.

If the amp checks out OK visually, decide if you are willing to risk it in your system. If not, use an expendable pair of speakers and listen to it. Do you observe what the buyer claims to be true ? If there is nothing obviously wrong, try the amp in the setup you used for the demo. Still nothing wrong ?

If nothing is wrong, the problem is likely in the buyer's system or setup. So, now does the buyer still want you to take the amp back and refund his money ? Does he want help troubleshooting his system ? Should somebody else do that ? Should the amp be checked out by a good technician ? If so, who should pay ? Find your own answers to these questions and then contact the buyer.

If the amp does show a hum in your system, there will have to be a repair done. Who will pay for that, or will the two of you share ? Decide how much responsibility you are willing to accept, and let the buyer know.

Fenderbender wrote:
What should I do? I don't want this amp back if he has in some way damaged it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:33 am 

[quote="BinkyTheCat"]

Lol! I just went thru the exact same thing a few months ago! Amp was auditioned twice on two seperate days. Next day after purchase email rec'd saying left channel hum and not happy and wants to return.
My response "check all yer connections, amp left here fine"
Sometimes it's buyers remore, sometimes it's buyers stupidity.
In my buyers case it was a faulty connection with one of his cables...always so easy to blame others.[/quote]
That's a good starting point. If the amp was working fine it is possibly a cabling issue or a ground fault on the buyers end. If you try and trouble shoot with him all might work out just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:54 pm 

[quote="Toby"]One way you can do this :

Talk to your buyer and establish that you both agree the amp was working fine at your place when he demo'ed it. Follow [b]BinkyTheCat[/b]'s advice, below, and ask the buyer to check his connections and setup. If that doesn't fix things, tell him you are willing to check out his claim of a defect. Ask him to bring the amp back and leave it with you. If you do this, it may be a good idea for you to give him a receipt, which you both sign, and keep a signed copy for yourself.

After you get the amp back, as soon as you can, check out the amp visually. Is there any sign of new damage, or tampering ? If so, call the buyer back and explain. Tell him you are not responsible for anything that happened to the amp after he left with it, and go from there.

If the amp checks out OK visually, decide if you are willing to risk it in your system. If not, use an expendable pair of speakers and listen to it. Do you observe what the buyer claims to be true ? If there is nothing obviously wrong, try the amp in the setup you used for the demo. Still nothing wrong ?

If nothing is wrong, the problem is likely in the buyer's system or setup. So, now does the buyer still want you to take the amp back and refund his money ? Does he want help troubleshooting his system ? Should somebody else do that ? Should the amp be checked out by a good technician ? If so, who should pay ? Find your own answers to these questions and then contact the buyer.

If the amp does show a hum in your system, there will have to be a repair done. Who will pay for that, or will the two of you share ? Decide how much responsibility you are willing to accept, and let the buyer know.

[quote="Fenderbender"]Saturday morning a customer came by to audition my integrated amp, it was set up with a tuner and a CD player. He auditioned the amp with his own CD's which were classical with many very soft passages and many loud orchestral. He was happy with the amp and paid me and left in a cab. I saw the driver put the amp which didn't have a box in the trunk. This evening at around 10pm he contacted me to say that the amp had a "big humming noise". He wants to return it for a refund. The amp left my place in fine shape or he wouldn't have taken it. If there had been any noise why would he buy it? I never thought this would happen to me as I always offer an audition, as long, within reason as you wish, He listened for 45 minutes.
What should I do? I don't want this amp back if he has in some way damaged it.[/quote][/quote]

I took your advice and tried to work with him but he posted negative and defamatory feedback today. I have carefully laid out my side of the story. Sadly, my perfect feedback now has a blemish, i'll leave it up to those that read it as to who is telling the truth... don't like that red square beside my name though...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 pm 

I took your advice and tried to work with him but he posted negative and defamatory feedback today. I have carefully laid out my side of the story. Sadly, my perfect feedback now has a blemish, i'll leave it up to those that read it as to who is telling the truth... don't like that red square beside my name though...[/quote]

Yes, a red mark sucks but you have 45 good comments and the buyer has zero feedback.

Since BIGJIM hasn't stepped into the ring to defend his title, one must ask, did this amp require a "warmup period" and why was it on when he specifically instructed it to be cold?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:41 am 

@Fenderbender, if you want CAM to go any further into this, please PM me with the specific details of how you tried to work with your buyer. If you have it, please include email correspondence between the two of you.

Fenderbender wrote:
I took your advice and tried to work with him but he posted negative and defamatory feedback today. I have carefully laid out my side of the story. Sadly, my perfect feedback now has a blemish, i'll leave it up to those that read it as to who is telling the truth... don't like that red square beside my name though...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:24 am 

If a buyer comes to audition an item..has all the time in the world to test it and inspect it thoroughly..and satisfies themselves to the point that they are willing to shell out their dough for it..then that's the end of it.

The suggestion after the fact that there was a defect at that time is defeated by the obvious fact that they would not have purchased the item had it been defective!! There is absolutely no point in letting someone demo an item if later they can claim it doesn't function. The process protects the buyer as well as the seller.

I am in no way a buyer beware guy...that BS statement was invented by unscrupulous vendors who wanted to sleep at night by blaming the seller for getting ripped off..however in this case the buyer was afforded every opportunity to satisfy themselves prior to purchase.

However, in a meet or a shipping circumstance this does not apply...at that point seller honesty and feedback is tantamount..and some responsibility must be taken if there is a defect..as the buyer was not afforded the same opportunity.

One piece of advice I give buyers who asks 57 questions regarding my integrity..If you aren't comfortable shopping online..DON'T. Asking a reputable seller repeatedly if the item is stolen, knock-off or non functional isn't due diligence..its simply insulting.

If you ask an honest guy if his item is legit he will say yes.
If you ask a dishonest guy if his item is legit he will say yes.

As the answer is the same..the question is useless.