Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post subject: Speaker trade.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:57 pm 

Traded a set of KefQ65,2 with a gentleman plus $400cash for a set of Totem arros .I expressedly allowed him to view and test the speakers when we met,told the only problem I knew with the speakers was with a partially broken binding- post .We agreed on 400 cash plus the Kefs for the arros.I had stored them and not had tested/listened them since so I was selling them as -is(even said that in the ad) and told him that.BUT I encourage a listening test when I arrived to his place,but he refused.I told him that the speakers had no other problems but gave him full oppurtunity to listen to them.

I even pulled the speaker from its box and packaging to show him the binding post and speaker.And asked him again to listen.Now I did not have time or space to hook up the speakers to test them at home before leaving for the 4hr drive to his place.They were sealed in the bags with boxes and packing and was inconvient to move around in my living room to test ,thats why i wanted to make sure he was happy with them.The trade went forward after I listened to the totems.

He then calls be 2 days later to tell me the crossover is problematic on a driver.Now I dont know what he may have done to the speaker since the trade.He calls me at home insinuating that I cover the repair.It pisses me off that this guy 'Sam' has the gall, demanding all this after all what I did to drive down there and arrange the trade and his chance to audition.Why would i drive 4 hours knowing that the speaker was defective and could so easily detected in a listening test making the whole trip a waste.EVEN If there was a problem at the time of the trade and he didnt want the speakers I would have been fine with it.He had the oppurtunity.

I was really looking for sttafs but considering he wanted a trade+ cash for the Kefs thats why i settled for arros...

Important to note he told me at least twice that the Totems were 3 yrs old but in fact they were 5 yrs old ( as I found out when i got there and saw the receipt) so the warranty was almost expired.(FYI ...Totem accoustic covers its product sold in Canada with a 5 yr transferrable warranty).I decided to take the chance and buy the speakers with little or no warranty. NOW I UNDERSTAND that there is no warranty on these speakers as I walk out the door .I would say that all choice and decisions would be based on me the buyer taking full oppurtunity/responsibilty to test the item at the time of sale.
NOW he expects me now to take back my speakers and the cash for the arros now the Kefs 'have a problem'.How do i know that he didnt damage them in last 2 days ?I was selling these speakers much less than market value because they were they were taking up needed space at home and also i want an upgrade .

My 'ad 20095' ...it plainly says it all:

'Description
with original boxes and manual,demo units from KEF dealer ,selling to upgrade,best offer over $399 plus shipping.I have stored these units for 3 months now.Sold as-is,no transferable warranty.Im over 3h north of GTA/Toronto so shipping is from there.Thanks.'

Ive sold probably bought/sold 15 pieces of audio eqpt on here over last 2 yrs with no problems till now and over 40 various pieces on Ebay.I believe I represented myself fully and gave full oppurtunity for any or this buyer to view/test the speakers SO why does one individual have to make a good markplace problematic?Doesn't a buyer assume responsiblity at the time of purchase as in this situation?I told him what I knew of the speakers condition and gave him the chance to test them...also hand delievered them to his door with no cost to him.
I think that was more than resonable.

Any comments or feedback/suggestions? :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:42 pm 

First if this person calls me a gentleman, then I canÂ’t be all that bad. There are always 2 sides to a story, so to make a long story short, the bottom line is IÂ’m the one who ended up receiving defective speakers from this person. He didnÂ’t get defective speakers from me. When I asked if there was anything wrong with the speakers aside from the broken binding post. I was assured no! You have to trust people some of the time. ItÂ’s my fault for not testing the speakers before the trade and waiting till the next day to test it, and the moral of the story is never trust anyone when you are buying audio equipment from them. Always test the equipment. Lesson learned!

Post subject: Re: Speaker trade.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:30 am 

very careful with speakers trades

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:56 am 

Powerbench and Tardis, you both sound very reasonable, decent and itelligent, why not try to resolve this, which I am sure you can very easily.

Powerbench obviously likes the Totem, meaning you would like to keep them, Tardis you feel that you did not get what you were expecting, simply ask Powerbench that would make you feel it would be fair transaction, again keeping in mind, that PB is going to keep the Totem. Just make sure to make it a reasonable transaction which ends for both with positive feedbacks.

Hope you guys will resolve this.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:58 am 

Why would anyone attempt to sell something untested?You are only asking for problems.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:04 pm 

I'm sure they've worked it out since 2004 lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:07 pm 

If we keep going back in time, we may see Elvis and Michael Jackson in a live duet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:27 pm 

9 years later....I,m going to go out on a limb here and say they have probably moved on......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:40 pm 

Holy rigor mortis batman!

This has to be some sort of record for reviving a dead thread.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:45 pm 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Audiofils wrote:
If we keep going back in time, we may see Elvis and Michael Jackson in a live duet

I'd buy tickets to that - prolly more entertaining than the upcoming Stones concert. :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:39 pm 

Wondering why this thread was opened up after all this time by someone other than the two parties involved?
We all know the moral to this story.

Buyer Beware :!:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:48 pm 
Premium User

Close to the Edge wrote:
Why would anyone attempt to sell something untested?You are only asking for problems.

I am in agreement on this...but...on the other hand...why would anyone buy something untested...especially given the opportunity...???

Like the man said: "Lesson learned."

8)