Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ripped off?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:16 am 

MOON wrote:
Always put a tracking number and signature required on the item. Canada Post has a $100 insurance free, so if you shipped through them it's covered, all you have to do is put in a claim.

I had the same thing happen to me a few year's back , me being the seller. It went to the wrong building and turned up a week later, lesson learned.

Ive heard of people who receive their orders yet claim they have not in hopes of having their money returned. Im not suggesting that this is the case in this situation, its highly unlikely and I would have a hard time thinking that this gentleman would do such a thing. History has also shown that there are postal workers who are somewhat immoral and take the odd "bonus" item home at the end of the day. I suspect that was the case with my lost laptop last year, for which I was never compensated. Its just a fact that it is not only buyer beware, obviously when a purchaser gives the seller a bad name, everyone loses and we both look like donkeys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:29 am 

All politeness aside, I'm amazed that a volume seller would not consider a tracking number, especially after having lost something prior. I've not sold near the same amount, and would never send something w/o a tracking number. To believe it will show up on it's own is very trusting, and a little naive. The tracking number is available to allow tracking. Perhaps the value of the item made you feel it was not necessary. I also agree however that you would not risk your CAM reputation for $30.

Valuable lesson here for seller, buyer, and anyone reading the post who might have felt a little trusting in any delivery service.

It's actually refreshing to meet two people so trusting in the process that they thought it would all just work out!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:42 am 

Hula Pie wrote:
All politeness aside, I'm amazed that a volume seller would not consider a tracking number, especially after having lost something prior. I've not sold near the same amount, and would never send something w/o a tracking number. To believe it will show up on it's own is very trusting, and a little naive. The tracking number is available to allow tracking. Perhaps the value of the item made you feel it was not necessary. I also agree however that you would not risk your CAM reputation for $30.

Valuable lesson here for seller, buyer, and anyone reading the post who might have felt a little trusting in any delivery service.

It's actually refreshing to meet two people so trusting in the process that they thought it would all just work out!

I suspect he and I both felt comfortable with the overall value of the transaction and neither of us gave it any thought. As far as being a "volume seller" , 99% of my equipment is sold locally and picked up at my home, with some exceptions where I will deliver. The only other item of any real size or value I have had to "ship" was the Kenwood turntable I sent to Alberta, it went without a hitch and JohnnyJ was very happy with it.
I order piles of things on Ebay and Amazon, everything from cd's to records to hunting knives to parts for my Jeeps, its extremely rare that a problem arises, but it does happen......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:07 am 

jayparadigm wrote:
Fellow CAM Members,
It seems as though I have been caught in a moral delemma. The Luxman cd player I sent this gentleman has allegedly failed to arrive at its destination. In all the years that I have bought and sold various items over the internet, only twice have I had such an event occur. Both times , the item in question was never to seen again after arrival in the Surrey terminal. Considering the hundreds of transactions I have made, (most of which through Ebay and Amazon) I think I am somewhat correct to assume that these things rarely happen. While I was in contact with Preston, he seemed as though he was a stand up sort of fellow. That initial impression aside, I must say that this a case of he said she said. How do I know that he did not receive the item in question ? If it was "lost" in transit, who is to blame ? That would be niether his nor my fault. My trust and relatively good experience with the postal system really never causes me to feel the need for tracking numbers. Nor did Preston request that I put one on the package.
Common sense would tell any rational person reading this post that to attempt to "rip off" as its been called, another CAM user for $30 is absolutely rediculous. When I go to work in the morning, I earn that in one hour. I do not have the time to be bothered with trying to rob an innocent person of $30. Lets do the math here. Approximately one hour to source out appropriate packing material around the house and perform a proper packaging job, then approximately another hour of my time to complete the return trip to the nearest postal outlet. Hmmmm..... 1+1= ??? Anyone here see my point ?
I do not buy and sell audio equipment for profit, I do it for my love of the music and the equipment. I cycle dozens of amplifiers, recievers, speakers, and turntables through my home every couple of months because its my hobby and I can afford to do it without having to misrepresent myself for $30. If my intent were to be dishonest, would it not be more conducive to sell something of value ? Maybe some of my more sought after Luxman equipment ? Or some of my Marantz , NAD, Mission, Paradigm, Energy, something of value that would make me money ? But no, this is a $30 cd player. Where is the logic ?
As previously mentioned..... who should be responsible for someones incompetance within the Canada Post system ?
There is no end to my amazement at how quickly people are to jump on the bandwagon and assume the worst of someone after only hearing the claims of one person. It truly is disappointing to see this post considering over the years, 90% of the people Ive met in the audiophile community have been wonderful people and I have no doubt that Preston fits into that majority. I doubt that he has the time to make a false claim such as this, for him, a $30 cd player is not likely worth the time and effort any more than it would be for someone such as myself to go through the trouble of trying to misrepresent myself. Of the many thousands of dollars worth of vintage audio equipment in my home, I cant imagine why I would to go through the trouble of trying to "rip off" this man for a $30 sale.
I hope this will serve as a lesson for everyone, myself included, that in the future, we MUST always request that the postal outlet place a tracking number and insurance on our packages, even if it is only travelling 300KM such as in this case.
Canuck Audio Mart is a valuable resource for all who use it and I cant imagine why I would want to ruin that for myself or anyone else for that matter. As the old saying goes, "dont @&^* where you eat". I certainly dont do it.

Jason

You have to come good, or this one is on you! Period.

AND, it sounds like you should know better - man up and clean up your act.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:18 am 

and you know the last time I had a claim in to Canada Post they were more then willing to settle and move on the moment they see it is legit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:50 am 

The seller is missing one key point in his lengthy blurb : Canada Post does not ship parcels without tracking. So either the seller did not send it and kept the money, or the buyer is lying that he did not receive it, even though the tracking might say it was delivered.The seller has no leg to stand on as Canada Post will refund if lost.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:59 am 

Close to the Edge wrote:
The seller is missing one key point in his lengthy blurb : Canada Post does not ship parcels without tracking. So either the seller did not send it and kept the money, or the buyer is lying that he did not receive it, even though the tracking might say it was delivered.The seller has no leg to stand on as Canada Post will refund if lost.

your right canada post has provided a tracking # for every parcels I have ever shipped (general parcel to express) , I thought that would be pretty common knowledge especially for a volume guy.

would it be safe to suggest the seller didn't look and lost or didn't keep the receipt. understand the mindset when no insurance is purchased, because if lost without ins your outta luck

Last edited by chow on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:04 am 
Premium User

Close to the Edge wrote:

This ^^^^

All packages now have a tracking number. Seller, look at the receipt from CP. It's on there.

Last edited by LEAFS264 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:04 am 

Close to the Edge wrote:

Missing receipt can be reproduced by the postal outlet..i have done before.

Would you expect anything less from one of the hundreds of ebay and amazon purchases you made? A seller with this amount of experience should take steps to protect themselves from exactly this scenario. Likely all those sellers and shippers included tracking numbers.

You can't prove you shipped it (or can you hopefully a receipt around?) nor can he prove he never received it. The tracking number will show it being successfully delivered..or in limbo somewhere. Your own comment why would I bother for 30$ applies to the buyer as well..why would he? You don't like the implication that you ripped him off, similarly he wouldn't like the implication that he is trying to "extort" 30$ from you. In spite of your "I am not saying that's the case here" it is exactly what your inaction suggests..otherwise you would process the claim, again at no cost to you, and refund.

Track your packages, photograph the packaged and labeled item...keep your receipts until item arrives in good condition. Explanations pointing fingers at unscrupulous postal workers is a pointless exercise...you have exactly zero evidence of that and its a simple distraction away from the issue.

If it isn't valuable enough to insure, that it isn't valuable enough to ship, then it might not be valuable enough to sell.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:09 am 

"Missing receipt can be reproduced by the postal outlet..i have done before."

so long as you didn't pay cash

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:12 am 

jayparadigm wrote:
I hope this will serve as a lesson for everyone, myself included, that in the future, we MUST always request that the postal outlet place a tracking number and insurance on our packages, even if it is only travelling 300KM such as in this case.

Canada Post Xpress Service ALWAYS prints the tracking number on the receipt.

The valid tracking number should be emailed to the buyer.

Last edited by Uunderhill on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:15 am 

If you read his last paragraph, you can plainly see that he is not telling the truth. Insisting on a tracking number and insurance? It comes automatically with the shipment. Always has.So I guess we see what kind of a seller he is.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:23 am 

"Insisting on a tracking number and insurance? It comes automatically with the shipment. "

insurance of 100 is automatic, with higher priced delivery methods it isn't for general parcel which I would guess to be the means of delivery here based on the item value

is there a sticky in the forums that has all this info on shipping Canada Post> might save a lot of confusion for those shipping receiving and responding to these sort of posts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:31 am 

chow wrote:
"Insisting on a tracking number and insurance? It comes automatically with the shipment. "

insurance of 100 is automatic, with higher priced delivery methods it isn't for general parcel which I would guess to be the means of delivery here based on the item value

is there a sticky in the forums that has all this info on shipping Canada Post> might save a lot of confusion for those shipping receiving and responding to these sort of posts

All packages, regardless of price, get $100.00 free insurance. The item in question was $30.00.Whether you pay for extra insurance, is up to you. But ALL packages get a tracking number.

Last edited by Close to the Edge on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:32 am 

chow wrote:
"Missing receipt can be reproduced by the postal outlet..i have done before."

so long as you didn't pay cash

Receipt was tracked by date and time of shipment..was a cash transaction. Very helpful staff required. And of course you would have to recall the date and time of shipment lol.

Was part of dealing with a damaged item - which of course could have been damaged by the buyer after receipt, as the tracking number revealed it to be 'successfully delivered'. I had taken pics of the item prior to packaging and after, so I was off the hook..

As the refund would come from Canada post, I filed a claim and refunded the buyer his money and shipping fees. Why stir the pot and suggest he is unscrupulous?? Its not my money and Id rather smell like roses than s#$t...

Last edited by smally21 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next