Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:48 pm 

Hi, I need some advice on my situation as a 1st time buyer.

- seller post the ad on Saturday, and it claim there is no issue with the Monoblocks
- payment via PayPal made on Sunday.
- seller sent the Monoblocks on Monday.
- it arrived on Wednesday noon
- I immediately tested the Monoblocks and I found one of the Monoblock consume more power than specification. The power acquired is more than 50W and confirmed with manufacture in the same day.
- also notified the seller of the issue, and I asked to have full refund as he claim there is no issue, and I will pay for return shipping.
- however he said he didn't see there is a reason to return the product, and could pay for the repair cost. However there is no dealer in Canada.

Shouldn't that is a seller responsibility for the repair? If it repaired, I am happy to re-own it.

Please advice what I should do?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:19 pm 
Premium User

kschung wrote:
If it repaired, I am happy to re-own it.

Please advice what I should do?

Since the seller seems willing to co-operate and pay the repair cost...get an estimate on what it will cost to repair...find out the shipping costs involved...and then ask the seller to reimburse whatever that totals up to....before you ship the amplifier to the manufacturer

If the seller then refuses file a complaint with PayPal.

8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 am 

kschung wrote:
- seller post the ad on Saturday, and it claim there is no issue with the Monoblocks...

- I immediately tested the Monoblocks and I found one of the Monoblock consume more power than specification. The power acquired is more than 50W and confirmed with manufacture in the same day.

How do you test an amp for power consumption? Is the problem you describe something that would be detected in a standard listening test, or do you need specialized equipment?

I'm curious because I recently bought a couple amps and have never heard of this test, and I'm also wondering if it's possible the buyer honestly wasn't aware of the issue.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:34 am 

99.9% of people selling an amplifier would NOT know how much power their amplifier consumed; therefore, unless you can hear a difference in sound, the seller did not "intentionally" misrepresent the amplifier.

It could be a simple fix like a bias adjustment.

How did you measure power consumption?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:45 am 

Just my 2 cents.... I have had, over the years several repairs done on various types of equipment. In many cases, after getting the piece back and using it for a short period of time (but past the warranty) the piece would fail again. What would you do then???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:48 am 

Take it to someone that could fix it.... merely replacing broken parts over and over again suggests that there is a design flaw -- or that the problem was never fixed eg. short due to stray piece of metal...

Second option, sell it immediately after repair.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:25 am 

Thanks Eric, but my point was directed to kschung. What happens if you get the repair done and the seller pays for it but then it fails shortly after. I would want to return for refund. If the current through the units are vastly different at the plug, there must be something wrong and if the unit works, the problem will be hard to find. The repair shop may not get it right.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:50 am 

brf wrote:

Sencore PM157 measures the current and wattage of your equipment under test. Maybe the OP has one - I do.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:33 am 

Tom_r wrote:
brf wrote:

Sencore PM157 measures the current and wattage of your equipment under test. Maybe the OP has one - I do.

Thanks Tom_r, I have seen consumer based devices in which you plug the item into and it displays the power consumed and then converts it $ to derive the cost of operation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:42 am 

brf wrote:
Tom_r wrote:
brf wrote:

Thanks Tom_r, I have seen consumer based devices in which you plug the item into and it displays the power consumed and then converts it $ to derive the cost of operation.

Commercial panel meters are also available on flea bay for peanuts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 am 

brf wrote:
99.9% of people selling an amplifier would NOT know how much power their amplifier consumed; therefore, unless you can hear a difference in sound, the seller did not "intentionally" misrepresent the amplifier.

That was my thinking exactly. The test equipment may be cheap, but how many people own it or know how to use it.

If you are that fussy about the gear you buy, and have test equipment that is not used by the vast majority of sellers, shouldn't you be buying locally so you can inspect the gear in person? If you do decide to buy something that needs to be shipped, shouldn't you be asking a lot more questions before sending money?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:09 am 

I'd say the seller is within his rights to choose paying for any necessary repair.

Unless it's a truly unusual piece, it shouldn't be necessary to ship it back to the manufacturer.

I assume there are many competent techs in the Ottawa area who could assess and, if necessary, repair the amp(s). Then have the tech e-mail a copy of the itemized repair bill directly to the seller.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:22 am 

arossphoto wrote:
brf wrote:

That was my thinking exactly. The test equipment may be cheap, but how many people own it or know how to use it.

If you are that fussy about the gear you buy, and have test equipment that is not used by the vast majority of sellers, shouldn't you be buying locally so you can inspect the gear in person? If you do decide to buy something that needs to be shipped, shouldn't you be asking a lot more questions before sending money?

All true. I only have a pile of test gear as I muck around with vintage tube gear, but some of the test equipment is useful for modern gear too. Only problem is most consumers can't answer the pertinent questions, so the buyer won't find out until an item is received. So of course local sale is preferred, but that's not always possible.

Maybe I missed it, but did the OP mention what amps we are talking about?

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:28 am 

What amps are we talking about?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:34 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

More details are needed here before jumping to conclusions. What make and model of amps are we talking about here.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next