Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:06 pm 

Stark wrote:
I'd like to see a situation where once a sale is completed the details are locked. If a seller wants to get feedback for items sold we should be able to see what they sold, and what it sold for. They should not be allowed to delete all the data as many do now. The current system is wide open for feedback abuse.

I disagree with that. That I sold it and who I sold it to providing they are a member yes but for how much No, that is between me and the purchaser. As a buyer I also would prefer the final selling price to be private

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:23 pm 

I've been using CAM for several years now to buy and sell, and yes sometime it's a bit of frustration. However there are a lot more positive experiences than negative.

I never bought or sold anything through Audiogon or Ebay, because I like to deal with the people from the community. Occasionally I ship to the US and Europe, if there are no local buyers, but always prefer personal interactions.

I think the present rules of this site give people what they want. And if I get "no reply", or "no show", or "no whatever", I just move on and deal with the next person.

After all this is our hobby and it should be enjoyed.

AND LET'S NOT CHANGE ANYTHING, IF WE WANT TO ENJOY OF WHAT WE HAVE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:43 pm 

Quote:
There is one thing that I find a bit odd here. You called the seller to confirm some details but you do not indicate that any financial arrangements were made or discussed. Did you confirm how you would be paying and when the seller should expect to receive the funds. From my experience there are lots of people who would LIKE to buy something. Until someone brings cash to the table there is no deal. Once the money is decided then the deal is done. At that point both the seller and buyer are committed.
First line of my response as a buyer usually goes something like, "I'm interested, and will pay x amount via PP or interac, as you prefer."

If I get a response, we carry on with the details. If not, I move on.

We're not dealing with professionals here, so expecting some level of service without any commitment is selfish expectation. Heck, even if the guy's a no-show at Tim's you got what you paid for.

If you want guarantees, buy new, and pay the full price. Even then, you might be sol.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:27 pm 

Erik wrote:
But it is BINDING to the buyer too, which means sellers will only want to deal with "Make Offer" offers.

The buyer cannot "Make Offer" then go see the item and back out without negative feedback. The seller must "Make Offer" just to be considered. This is bogus.

Then dont "make offer" until you look at it.
How hard is it to contact the buyer, express intrest, agree on a meet, and then if satisfied with what you see make an offer?

If you want to look at it first then you are not yet even at the make offer stage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:54 pm 

If I go to see it I'm going to bring cash and the make offer is irrelevant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:20 pm 

Erik wrote:
If I go to see it I'm going to bring cash and the make offer is irrelevant

But you have not "made an offer" until you say "i want it". At this stage all you are saying is "maybe".
As a seller i wouldn't consider an offer made until which time the buyer says "I offer you this much..." ( not necessary in those exact words).
If a buyer says
"I offer you this much, but Only after i come and take a look" then I would be silly to accept the offer as the buyer may still back out. i may agree to let them look at it, but in regards to feedback then there is still no offer made.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:04 pm 

Is it possible that some of these issues come from the fact that the US Audiomart is so new that basically nobody has feedback, has been a member for very long nor is familiar/comfortable with the free form classified model that we use?

Starting a thread calling someone out and not being part of any further discussion is a sign that the essay that was written was scribed while very emotional. Might as well just have been a rant.

Lastly, I am in the party that thinks final transaction numbers need not be public knowledge.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:34 pm 

kvn63 wrote:
Stark wrote:
I'd like to see a situation where once a sale is completed the details are locked. If a seller wants to get feedback for items sold we should be able to see what they sold, and what it sold for. They should not be allowed to delete all the data as many do now. The current system is wide open for feedback abuse.

I disagree with that. That I sold it and who I sold it to providing they are a member yes but for how much No, that is between me and the purchaser. As a buyer I also would prefer the final selling price to be private

selling price should be public too, in order to build a blue book of sorts for CAM.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:04 pm 

Yes, let's put more RULES into CAM and get the fingerprints of all members, so we can prosecute people not fulfilling their purchase obligations :lol:

And how does anybody know what is the real SOLD price of the item, since the majority of sales are cash deals?

Almost forgot, maybe it'll be a great idea to send this info to CRA too :evil:

As I said earlier, DON'T FIX IT, IF IT'S NOT BROKEN

Happy Listening

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:33 pm 

Stark wrote:
kvn63 wrote:
Stark wrote:

selling price should be public too, in order to build a blue book of sorts for CAM.

I totally agree with Stark on this point. Further to that it would also get rid of some of the gear flippers that more times than not are the source of negative sales IMO. They still have kijiiji etc to use...................................

Also, if a seller posts a price and that he will ship and what payment he wants and an
offer of exactly that is made , why would it have to be accepted.............
his terms are met...........so clearly it still favors the seller to refuse his own terms.
That's why the information that is input into the ad itself should show clear
answers to price , if shipping is available an a place to show that rite in the ad
by checking it. Incomplete ads would not be posted till all necessary info is filled out
with price, condition, payment accepted and shipping available etc..

Last edited by Jimmi on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:44 pm 

Val111 wrote:
Yes, let's put more RULES into CAM and get the fingerprints of all members, so we can prosecute people not fulfilling their purchase obligations :lol:

And how does anybody know what is the real SOLD price of the item, since the majority of sales are cash deals?

Almost forgot, maybe it'll be a great idea to send this info to CRA too :evil:

As I said earlier, DON'T FIX IT, IF IT'S NOT BROKEN

Happy Listening

CRA is well tuned to CAM.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:20 pm 

CRA is well tuned to CAM.[/quote]

Good for them and all of us.

And off topic, why are my quotes and text in the same box?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:24 pm 

I recently bought a copper tt mat. I had the money in my pocket when I examined it to make sure it was not dropped. I paid asking, no haggling.

Suppose it was bent. I walk away no problem.

Suppose I hit the make offer button then walked away as it was bent. Result: negative feedback. I look like a jerk.

As a seller I accept an offer. Now I have sellers remorse. I back out of the make offer contract. Result : negative feedback because I changed my mind? No good. Money must change hands, or you get neg feedback from broken promises.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:29 am 

This strikes me as nothing more than poor communication. The seller should have indicated that local sales would be preferred, but that's a courtesy and not a requirement. The seller might have been curt in his communication, perhaps even rude, but there's no requirement that a seller has to be polite. These are the risks you take when you try to save heavily on the MSRP. If the OP wants a flawless retail transaction, then s/he should be prepared to pay full MSRP. Paying full MSRP doesn't make you an idiot, it just means you're prepared to pay for the customer service and after sales support that should accompany any decent B&M transaction. You pay for the peace of mind. That's not to say that online transactions are always difficult, but one needs to be realistic about their expectations...

Jimmi wrote:
Further to that it would also get rid of some of the gear flippers that more times than not are the source of negative sales IMO. They still have kijiiji etc to use...

This, I wholeheartedly endorse! In my view, flippers are parasitic to the CAM community. Their objective is to make money, often at the expense of an unsuspecting or naive buyer, which only harms the reputation of CAM, not to mention the hobby more generally. At the very least, I'd like to see these individuals pay higher costs similar to dealer subscriptions, and clearly identify themselves as high-volume sellers. Enforcement would be tricky, but surely something can be done. What do others think about this?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:56 am 

First timers, at many things will always have awkwardness, insecurity, and make mistakes.

:roll: Whether you are a SS expert getting into tubes for the first time or taking up roller blading. SHI!T HAPPENS.

:shock: More rules are never a good thing...especially when this is supposed to be a fun hobby. Sure there are predators out there but do you want to never go outside because the state sets a curfew? ...Extreme I know.

Current rules and guidelines are in place to deal with scammers and flippers alike...why add more rules when the current ones when used work :?: :!:

Lastly, I too would like to know the selling price of some gear BUT I have no desire to publicize it! That would be a great mistake.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next