Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:28 am 

Sadly, the "my word is my bond" approach which used to hold sway in face to face deals has been watered down to: if I change my mind or get a better offer, I will switch to "radio silence" and ignore you until you go away. This may be annoying but makes perfect sense psychologically since individuals fell less honour bound with a "faceless" anonymous digital presence than they do with a real live human being in front of them.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:44 am 

Unfortunately the ad i believe the OP responded to is gone... But if anyone read my last post here, they would see, that this is a blessing for the OP, and you need not defend CAM to them.

OP - you wanted speakers that normally sell for $400 a pair used, Klipsch RS7, that a seller in California was selling for $75. I would assume they want to get rid of them quick, as they're either stolen or something is up with them. Why would they ask $75 when $200 is still a steal?

You're better off. Sorry you can't find a pair that cheap, but you shouldn't be asking why you can't find another for that price so much as, why were they so cheap?q

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:12 am 

There is one thing that I find a bit odd here. You called the seller to confirm some details but you do not indicate that any financial arrangements were made or discussed. Did you confirm how you would be paying and when the seller should expect to receive the funds. From my experience there are lots of people who would LIKE to buy something. Until someone brings cash to the table there is no deal. Once the money is decided then the deal is done. At that point both the seller and buyer are committed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 am 

GuySmiley wrote:
There is one thing that I find a bit odd here. You called the seller to confirm some details but you do not indicate that any financial arrangements were made or discussed. Did you confirm how you would be paying and when the seller should expect to receive the funds. From my experience there are lots of people who would LIKE to buy something. Until someone brings cash to the table there is no deal. Once the money is decided then the deal is done. At that point both the seller and buyer are committed.

Amen.There are 2 sides to every story.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:48 am 

kvn63 wrote:
admin wrote:

I think an interesting way to curb this type of thing is to change the system slightly to allow making formal offers on items, which, once accepted, cannot be turned down without legitimate Negative Feedback being given. This might result in fewer buyers backing out at the last minute, or sellers deciding to sell to someone else after a deal is made.

I'd be curious what people thought about my idea of the "Make Offer" concept though.

I like this Idea, it fair for both the seller and buyer while also allowing the seller to sort out real buyers from the tire kickers.

How can "Make Offer" be binding if you want to audition the gear?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:48 am 

Anyone look into this beyon what is written in the thread?

Guy selling $400 used speakers for $75, acts dodgy, and assuming the ad I saw is the same one, the OP is cheesed... Now he thinks he's going to find the same ones for that crazy low price.

Instead of saying "you may be wrong", why not educate him on buying used - and potential red flags in ads. You'd all ask for every component in his system to diagnose a sound issue, but nobody is curious about the original ad, and the insanely low price? We would all love something for nothing, but it aint gonna happen. ****, some of you people are stubborn. Myself included, but.... C'mon! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:10 pm 

Erik wrote:
kvn63 wrote:
admin wrote:

I think an interesting way to curb this type of thing is to change the system slightly to allow making formal offers on items, which, once accepted, cannot be turned down without legitimate Negative Feedback being given. This might result in fewer buyers backing out at the last minute, or sellers deciding to sell to someone else after a deal is made.

I'd be curious what people thought about my idea of the "Make Offer" concept though.

I like this Idea, it fair for both the seller and buyer while also allowing the seller to sort out real buyers from the tire kickers.

How can "Make Offer" be binding if you want to audition the gear?

Clearly if the OP was close enough to addition the speakers there would not have been a problem, common sense dictates that there will never be an end all be all solution but I believe what Admin proposed might be a step in the right direction

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:18 pm 

So, the "Make Offer" offers will have priority over the auditions, since if I was a seller, I'd *only* deal with "Make Offer" offers.

That would be very bad for local sales.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:25 pm 

Erik wrote:
So, the "Make Offer" offers will have priority over the auditions, since if I was a seller, I'd *only* deal with "Make Offer" offers.

That would be very bad for local sales.

Priority
If the seller accepted the offer yes, if the seller has not accepted the offer yet then no
This system would in no way force a seller into anything the worst thing that a seller could get is a neg feedback for backing out

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:37 pm 

But it is BINDING to the buyer too, which means sellers will only want to deal with "Make Offer" offers.

The buyer cannot "Make Offer" then go see the item and back out without negative feedback. The seller must "Make Offer" just to be considered. This is bogus.

Last edited by Erik on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:40 pm 

IIMHO, one of advantages of CAM is that an item is not considered sold/purchased unless there is some form of mutual agreement between the buyer and seller. There is no obligation to sell to any single specific ad respondent. Just because a potential buyer replies to an ad doesn't mean that the deal is done. Likewise, if a buyer feels uncomfortable with any aspect of the transaction, they have every right to back out. Both parties have complete control over the pending transaction...until cash changes hands.

Maybe what CAM needs is a mechanism that could create a log sale once a confirmed has been completed...and accepted by both parties. If a transaction goes sideways after a sale has been flagged as confirmed, then negative feedback is warranted. If a pending transaction never makes it to the point of a confirmed sale, no harm/no foul.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:43 pm 

You have a day-old account and zero feedback. You make no mention of payment and specifics.
You have publicly drawn out the member accusing him of having no integrity. And then gone after admin for their oversight...all inside of 48hrs.

I ship tons of gear but i couldnt be bothered to package and ship giveaway priced speakers that will sell locally without effort. For 75$ i should go to all that trouble? For a guy that may just be another tirekicker and, as it turns out, has no problem going public with no CAM experience or feedback.

Maybe you should keep on movin on?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:47 pm 

I would love to have a dollar for every buyer that says he wants to buy something then totally disappears after I respond positively to his email.It happens all the time.Except on Ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:49 pm 

Erik wrote:
But it is BINDING to the seller too, which means sellers will only want to deal with "Make Offer" offers.

The seller cannot "Make Offer" then go see the item and back out without negative feedback. The seller must "Make Offer" just to be considered. This is bogus.

-- 27 Aug 2013 16:37 --

But it is BINDING to the seller too, which means sellers will only want to deal with "Make Offer" offers.

The seller cannot "Make Offer" then go see the item and back out without negative feedback. The seller must "Make Offer" just to be considered. This is bogus.

Where are you getting this, just because an offer is made does not mean the seller has to accept it and binding is most likely the wrong word. I may be speaking out of turn but I do not believe the Admin wants to get involved in the creation of legally binding contracts, instead I believe he is talking about a slight modification to the site that would allow for offers to be made and accepted and a slight rewrite of the feedback rules allowing feedback to be made either way if either party pulls out. As far as affecting local sales I fail to see your point on this if he has sold it to a guy 1000 miles away it is sold, if he has not sold it. its still for sale.

-- 27 Aug 2013 13:53 --

selkirk wrote:
Maybe what CAM needs is a mechanism that could create a log sale once a confirmed has been completed...and accepted by both parties. If a transaction goes sideways after a sale has been flagged as confirmed, then negative feedback is warranted. If a pending transaction never makes it to the point of a confirmed sale, no harm/no foul.

Exactly what Admin is proposing
Offer and Accept Offer or Proposal and Accept proposal, however you want to word it
I would assume in the case of the OP he/she would not have made an offer until the shipping cost was confirmed then made the offer for acceptance or rejection

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:01 pm 

I'd like to see a situation where once a sale is completed the details are locked. If a seller wants to get feedback for items sold we should be able to see what they sold, and what it sold for. They should not be allowed to delete all the data as many do now. The current system is wide open for feedback abuse.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next