Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post subject: Very disappointed!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:29 pm 

I have an EMM Labs transporter that I bought last year from a member in Vancouver. It played CDs brilliantly but, as I discovered, not SACDs. I spoke to EMM Labs in Calgary and they quoted me $2500 to essentially add all new parts and switch from Phillips to Esoteric. With transportation and taxes I was looking at over $3000.
I noticed an add posted by CAM member Walter that he fixed CD players and DACs. Spoke to Walter and he seemed very pleasant plus had a lot of positive feedback and I gave him the player to see if he could solve the problem. He told me that if he could find the parts the bill would be around $600 (cheap compared to $3000) and I authorized him to go ahead. Three weeks went by while he waited for parts then I received an email from him
Hi Michael,
I installed new laser head today, but unfortunately even with new laser head Transport does not read SACD, but reads regular CDs better.
The problem with a Servo Board ( I suspect).
The Transport was cleaned and lubricated. I am asking for that 120$ or do you want me to put your old laser head back?
If its OK, I can deliver Transport today to your location.
Thanks,
Walter.

I told him to return the unit and I would pay him the $120. This he did.
Two weeks went by. I was busy plus waiting on another CAM member to build me a new power cord. I hooked up the CD player and now it won't play anything! Call Walter. His response. "Why didn't you test it when I delivered it".
I take the CD player to Charles Street Electronics and explain the problem to Peter and Mathew. Mathew orders a new laser and three weeks go by. I explain the problem with the "servo board" and will be happy if it plays CDs again.
Just paid Peter and picked up the unit plus the original laser and the one Walter had put in. I put in a CD. Sounds great. For the hell of it put in an SACD (at least it will play in CD mode) and Lo and behold it plays SACDs!!!
I email the guy who sold it to me and apologise because Walter had claimed that someone had worked on the player and it was very dirty. Then, curious I emailed Walter and got the following response

Excellent news! All these laser heads are made in China and really hard to get the good one and even so they are worn out pretty fast. Original ones not obtainable anymore or somebody has
NOS ( new old stock).

No" I am sorry". No offer to return the money! I cannot believe his cavalier attitude or that he doesn't stand behind his work for even 14 days.

Post subject: Re: Very disappointed!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:07 pm 

This same person? http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=11069

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:14 pm 

That is some detective work! ... if it's the same person.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:56 am 
Premium User

Tom_r wrote:
That is some detective work! ... if it's the same person.

Interesting that this Walter only posted twice; 8 years ago and last time, 4 years ago looking for help.

What makes someone like Walter an reputable, bona-fide CAM member in good standing? 2 posts ages ago and nothing for 4 years? Who here knows him from a hole in the wall? Any references? Just because the guy posted here twice shouldn't mean that he should be automatically be associated with the CAM community. I mean, who can you trust on-line these days?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:04 am 

Not the same guy. The one I am referring to
Response to your ad FOR SALE: Service and upgrade of CD Players and Transports and DACs

-- 15 Jun 2013 14:07 --

Hi Michael,
I installed new laser head today, but unfortunately even with new laser head Transport does not read SACD, but reads regular CDs better.
The problem with a Servo Board ( I suspect).
The Transport was cleaned and lubricated. I am asking for that 120$ or do you want me to put your old laser head back?
If its OK, I can deliver Transport today to your location.
Thanks,
Walter.

To: walter
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:59:08 PM
Subject: Re: Response to your ad FOR SALE: Service and upgrade of CD Players and Transports and DACs

Walter,
Welcome back. What is your address. Do you need me to bring an SACD?
M

Reply-To: walter
To: Michael Greggs <michael.greggs@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Response to your ad FOR SALE: Service and upgrade of CD Players and Transports and DACs

Hi Michael,
You can bring you transport on this Saturday if you can.
Thanks,
Walter.

To: Vadim
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:20:58 PM

Bay and Bloor

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-03-07, at 12:19 PM, "Vadim"

Hi Michael,
I am going to out of Toronto till next Tuesday. So we can arrange for the next week.
Where are you living?
Thanks,
Walter.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-03-07, at 11:46 AM, Michael Greggs <michael.greggs@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Walter,
I am thinking about having you look at the EMM Labs to see if a new laser will get it to play SACDs.
As I will take the TTC can I get away with just bringing you the transport and not the DAC?
Michael.
Could come over this afternoon if that is convenient.

Date: Sunday, 17 February, 2013 6:45 PM

Call me at
Walter.

To: walter
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:24:09 PM

Walter,
Is there a phone number that I can call you later in the week?

Michael Greggs
Been There Done That Entertainment,
44 Charles Street West, Suite 1704
Toronto. ON M4Y 1R7
P. 416-967-1067
C. 416-859-0872

Date: Sunday, 17 February, 2013 1:18 PM

Well, if I will find the transport replacement with parts will cost you 600$.
Thanks,
Walter.

To:
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:13:20 PM

Walter,
You are probably correct about the transport and yes, I know the conversion is not cheap but it really is a great player and would, I think cost a fortune to replace it. I am the second owner, bought it last year from a guy in Vancouver. I did not own any SACDs at the time so it was only recently that I discovered the problem. Buyer beware unfortunately.
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue2 ... nature.htm

Michael.

Reply-
Date: Sunday, 17 February, 2013 12:55 PM

I believe its Philips SD5.2 CD/ SACD Transport.
Thanks,
Walter.

To:
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:16:06 AM
Subject: Response to your ad FOR SALE: Service and upgrade of CD Players and Transports and DACs

Walter,

I have an EMM Labs CDSD that plays CDs beautifully but will not play SACDs (hybrids simply play in PCM 2 Channel mode). The CD player couples with a DAC 6E via optical cables. I did some research and found out that the problem lies with the Phillips transport.
I have spoken to EMM Labs in Calgary and they are prepared to do a complete refurbishment. I quote "The upgrade is very extensive, basically the digital board, drive, drive board, power supply, and rear panel have to be replaced". Unfortunately they cannot get around to working on it until April plus I have to ship it back to Calgary from Toronto. Is this something that you would undertake or should I be patient and wait on the manufacturer? I believe that they now use TEAC Esoteric transports.
There was also some sort of upgrade for the DAC but they no longer do this.
Michael.

Last edited by MichaelG on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:15 am 

Yes it is the same person. go to his profile and then click the forum profile button:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprof ... er_id=1863

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:28 am 

Tom is right. If you put the email address in the search for user "walter" comes up. Odd he can't repair his own amp. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:47 am 

I spent 4 hours on his player. I reported him that after installation of the new laser head its still does not read the SACDs. Also, I mentioned to him that somebody else tried to fixed the same problem leaving the the the unit without the top cover for long time and lot of dust was accumulating on the PCB boards, laser lens, and the lubrication of the transport was dried. . I my report I said that the problem ever with the laser head which are manufacturing now in China or its a fault on the Servo board.Moreover to say, I offered him to install his old laser back with no charge. He said " leave a new laser and I will pay you 120$". Moreover to say, I delivered Transport to his location free of charge . He met me at a font door of the condo. I asked him If can go with him and connect the unit to his system and we will see how its works. He refused !
After couple of the weeks he called me and said that the laser is not good , did not allow me to explain my position and ended up the conversation with the words " buy buy Walter', disconnecting the line.

Now, I am very careful selecting the jobs and persons.
regards,
Walter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:23 am 

Just to clear the air, are you actually an audio technician?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:09 pm 

I've done business with "walter" before and WOULD NOT personally deal with him again. He purchased an older Sony CDP from me. I won't go into the details openly online, but would share privately as I was advised by the mods that there was nothing "technically" wrong with what he did (and I can't disagree). Shortly after my transaction with him, I did notice that his profile changed to "dealer" status. My assumption was that this was due to the fact that people should know that he is running a business.

Personally as a hobbyist, I only like to sell my stuff to other hobbyists and NOT to dealers. Although, I must highlight that I have never purchased anything from him or any services..

That is all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:50 pm 

I'm afraid I have to go on record as another listener less than satisfied with Walter.

He contacted me several times regarding an older Teac VRDS player I had for sale.

Eventually he came over, auditioned it, and offered—as was his right—considerably less than the already low price I had asked.

After a bit of negotiation, he said if I could accept his highest offer, he'd make sure he gave me stellar prices on any service work I might send his way in the future. Thinking that having a skilled tech "on call" offering discounted prices was a good ace in the hole to have, I agreed.

A few months later when I asked him about upgrading an older JBL crossover, he quoted me considerably more than the brick-and-mortar audio service shop with whom I'd spoken about the job earlier.

I had to conclude that, for Walter, all's fair in love, war and audio. Not impressed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:56 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
I'm afraid I have to go on record as another listener less than satisfied with Walter.

He contacted me several times regarding an older Teac VRDS player I had for sale.

Eventually he came over, auditioned it, and offered—as was his right—considerably less than the already low price I had asked.

After a bit of negotiation, he said if I could accept his highest offer, he'd make sure he gave me stellar prices on any service work I might send his way in the future. Thinking that having a skilled tech "on call" offering discounted prices was a good ace in the hole to have, I agreed.

A few months later when I asked him about upgrading an older JBL crossover, he quoted me considerably more than the brick-and-mortar audio service shop with whom I'd spoken about the job earlier.

I had to conclude that, for Walter, all's fair in love, war and audio. Not impressed.

Very similar... +1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:47 pm 

For the record Walter emailed me pointing out that I had inadvertently included his email address and phone number in my thread. I apologized and removed the information asap. I guess that was not acceptable as he is now talking, I assume from his reference to third parties, lawyers. I should not have posted his contact information, that was an oversight on my part and wrong but I stand by everything else and it is all documented.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:54 pm 

And you too are contacting your lawyer to resolve the quality of workmanship issue once his legal team serves the documentation of their suit?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:21 am 

It is hard to believe it all starts with 120$. Technically speaking, It is possible that the status of that machine changed once went over many of diagnostic and shipping. That is why we have to test it asap.