Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:24 pm 

acasanis wrote:

This is true, however, I've spent upwards of $7K and many years tube rolling in my current 2 channel setup.

Your obligation as far as the sale goes is over unless something beyond the transaction was agreed upon.

If however with your knowledge of tubes you rolled this unit out the door with some cheapos from the back of the drawer. Then the hassle your getting is the result of instant Karma.

Marc mc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:44 am 

Hi everybody,

I am the CAM member who purchased the Sherwood from Adam. I'm glad that he posted this thread.

His ad was very positive and he seemed like a very keen, nice guy so I admit that I took a chance by not going for an audition:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... _amplifer/

I have owned many pieces of equipment and still own my HH Scott 299(A) tube amp, and my first amp at age 15 was a tube amp, so I'm not without tube amp experience. Other equipment includes OCM 50 pre/OCM 100 power amp, Marantz 2285B & 4230, JBL L166 Horizons, Klipsch KG4.5, B&W V201, Advent One Loudspeaker, Toshiba SA-304, Rega Planet CDP, Cambridge Audio Azur 340 CDP, Cambridge Audio DacMagic and there's more in my history.

I'm just offering a snapshot so you can see that I'm not without some points of reference, and I know the difference between something that works properly and something that does not. While 2 weeks may seem like a long time, please note that it was 12 days by the time I called Adam and there were a few significant events within that timeline.

I took possession of the Sherwood on Sunday March 10th. Fiddled with a few set-ups but just didn't seem right. Put it aside because Thurs Mar 14 & Fri Mar 15 are my wife's and my birthdays, respectively. (what are the odds of that?!). I'm also a 50 yr old senior exec so the schedule/workload varies accordingly and I know not to react too suddenly in any situation before an issue is assessed (took the day off today, hence my midday post).

Therefore, I wasn't going to call Adam to address what I was hoping would be only been a minor issue since there is a great tube tech in Oakville. I took it to my tech on Monday Mar 18th. He had a busy week but finally called me on Fri Mar 22 and the first thing he asked was, "Can you return this?"

He cited all of the tubes as being close to the end of their life - apparently one failed when tested, and also cited issues with the volume potentiometer and noted that one of the transformers does not appear to be working properly.

Please note that I am NOT a tech and do not pretend to be.

When I spoke to Adam on Mar 22 and tried to explain what my tech had said, Adam began peppering me with questions about the specific nature of each issue and challenged the competence of my tech. Since I could not discuss the technical specifics fluently with Adam, I offered that it may be better if he speak with my tech. That would also allow him to assess whether or not my tech is a capable individual.

He flatly refused. Despite a couple of requests during the conversation. Is that such an outlandish request?

Therefore, I have posted negative feedback on Adam and will not retract it unless he makes amends. I feel as though I have just thrown $495 into my fireplace.

Apart from forfeiting the audition (stupid), do the rest of you feel that have I acted inappropriately?

-- 25 Mar 2013 15:55 --

Hi again,

To be clear, my tech is a pro and is the local go-to guy in Oakville. He's very experienced and very good. Works on everything under the sun and gets all of his business from referral. He does NOT work out of his home - he has a commercial location.

I can see that there are sometimes nutbars who have an electrician relative and think they can assess vintage audio gear, so I can understand the suspicion in this thread about that.

Not the case here. As well, I offered the schematics and he said he didn't need them for the preliminary check. I didn't forget to provide them.

I'm not looking for big box store service. I'm looking for justice after being sold something that is not as represented.

Or does the 25 wpc Sherwood S5500 really & truly sound like such a piece of junk compared to a 17 wpc Scott 299? My research on the internet gave no indication of that...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:19 am 

Spidey senses tingle when reading that ad ..

Quote:
I have a 1961 Sherwood S5500 integrated tube amplifier I'm offering up for sale. I have replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors with new. Original chassis mounted cans have been left in places for aesthetics. The output capacitors have been replaced with high quality Ampohm PIO audio capacitors. All tubes are included and installed (quad of 7591 output tubes and five 12AX7's) . Unit is fully functional, serviced, and good for another 50 years! Plug and Play.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:27 am 

Quote:

+1

I am sceptical whenever I read of a unit being modded by the seller. Makes me think that the mods didn't turn out as expected and now it's time to unload the disappointing results. I like professionally restored, as opposed to mods done by the seller.

However, the bottom line is "buyer beware". The seller offered an audition, the buyer refused and purchased anyways. The amp does work functionally from what I'm gathering here, but the sonic result is unsatisfactory to the buyer, and sadly that isn't reason enough to seek "justice".

Learn from this (both parties), and move on.

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:42 am 

370lbgorilla wrote:
Quote:

+1

I am sceptical whenever I read of a unit being modded by the seller. Makes me think that the mods didn't turn out as expected and now it's time to unload the disappointing results. I like professionally restored, as opposed to mods done by the seller.

However, the bottom line is "buyer beware". The seller offered an audition, the buyer refused and purchased anyways. The amp does work functionally from what I'm gathering here, but the sonic result is unsatisfactory to the buyer, and sadly that isn't reason enough to seek "justice".

Learn from this (both parties), and move on.

Allen

True, it does "function". However, and with due respect to you for taking the time to contribute to this thread, a 3 legged dog can technically walk BUT should be represented as such. I implore you all that this is not a case of "sonic preference". My tech hears all sorts of equipment and declared this unit worthless.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:18 am 

Both the seller and buyer have reasonable arguments. Perhaps you need a 2nd tech to mediate with an independent assessment?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 am 

The 7591's at end of life? Failed when tested? One transformer not functioning properly?

Where is the "good for another 50 years" here?

Refused to speak to the tech? I'll recant my earlier assessment.

The OP must refund.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:00 pm 

+1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:59 pm 

Erik wrote:
The 7591's at end of life? Failed when tested? One transformer not functioning properly?

Where is the "good for another 50 years" here?

Refused to speak to the tech? I'll recant my earlier assessment.

The OP must refund.

I politely disagree. The bottom line is that had the buyer contacted me as soon as he (not his technician friend) came to the conclusion that he was "unhappy" with the unit, I would have gladly discussed our options for amends. That's only fair... Having random people delve in and "test" the unit....in my mind creates the issue. Along the the same lines of "warranty void if seal removed". I have no guarantee a power supply was not accidentally shorted, I have no guarentee the amp was hooked up properly (meaning with a load on the output xfmr PRIOR to powering up...) etc... Once the transaction was made however, it is his unit to do with what he wants...

The buyer clearly states the unit is functional, as it was at time of sale.

I'm trying my best to not turn this into a "pi$$ing match", but that's quickly venturing south.

I will leave the thread with this sentiment. I feel I did not mis-represent the condition of the amplifier in my ad. I did not guarantee ANY tubes as NOS testing 100%; I simply stated all tubes were included. I offered an audition in my home which was declined. As I've mentioned to the buyer, perhaps there is room for improvement regarding room treatment, equipment placement, synergy of gear, and many other things which we all know effect the sound of any given unit.

Adam.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:27 pm 

hi dahlman i too jumped in to soon with only the sellers side of the story i think you should both go 50/50 and be done with it. you both have points and seem like decent guys you can both learn a lesson here? please disregard my earlier post. Ralph

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm 

If the OP had bothered to call the tech that did the examination, he would've been able to determine if the tech was more than "some random guy". His reaction instead is to attempt to discredit someone he's never met nor has ever spoken with, by hurling fabrications based on "maybe".

Such clutching at straws speaks volumes.

Last edited by Erik on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm 
Premium User

The seller invited the buyer to audition...the buyer declined.

Two weeks later seller is informed that buyer is not satisfied.

Two weeks too late.

No refund.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:55 pm 

So what ..

We're throwing in "fully functional" at no extra charge ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:00 pm 
Premium User

A LOT can happen in 2 weeks...including seeing something else that, had it been available at the same time as the initial purchase, we wouldn't be spending our time on this thread.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:01 pm 

Thank you to all who have posted in follow up to my posts today. I appreciate it, whatever the outcome and even whatever your assessment of my position may be.

I still have faith in the CAM community and this just reinforces the true meaning of the plaque in our house that says: "Be the person your dog thinks you are". :lol:

Pretty expensive lesson though... :|

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next