Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:08 pm 

dahlman wrote:
Thank you to all who have posted in follow up to my posts today. I appreciate it, whatever the outcome and even whatever your assessment of my position may be.

I still have faith in the CAM community and this just reinforces the true meaning of the plaque in our house that says: "Be the person your dog thinks you are". :lol:

Pretty expensive lesson though... :|

Nothing that $20 worth of gas and a few hours of leisure can't remedy upon your next adventure within your reach.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:10 pm 

Ishis wrote:
A LOT can happen in 2 weeks...including seeing something else that, had it been available at the same time as the initial purchase, we wouldn't be spending our time on this thread.

8)

Good point. Never considered that but I'll bet it has happened in other transactions.

I love cool stuff and was excited to get an S5500. If I really didn't want it, then I could have put up for sale but I still would have used it for a while.

I'm at the point in my life where I can afford to carry a few extra costs for things like this. Guess that's the financial Yin to the bald & middle-aged Yang.

-- 26 Mar 2013 01:22 --

pharsyde wrote:
dahlman wrote:
Thank you to all who have posted in follow up to my posts today. I appreciate it, whatever the outcome and even whatever your assessment of my position may be.

I still have faith in the CAM community and this just reinforces the true meaning of the plaque in our house that says: "Be the person your dog thinks you are". :lol:

Pretty expensive lesson though... :|

Nothing that $20 worth of gas and a few hours of leisure can't remedy upon your next adventure within your reach.

You got it. Life is good in general. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:45 pm 
Premium User

dahlman wrote:
Ishis wrote:
A LOT can happen in 2 weeks...including seeing something else that, had it been available at the same time as the initial purchase, we wouldn't be spending our time on this thread.

8)

Good point. Never considered that but I'll bet it has happened in other transactions.

The real emphasis was on "A LOT can happen in 2 weeks..."...with an example of something which, as you yourself expressed...you had never considered.

I am not suggesting that is what happened...but 2 weeks later and you then contact the seller???

I think due diligence would dictate a good listening session the very next day...and any concerns be addressed at that time.

Somehow I think you get that now. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:58 am 

Your point is perfectly valid, Ishis, in and of itself. No argument there.

However, based on the arguments presented by the seller, I suspect the reaction to my concerns would have been the same 2 days or 2 weeks after purchase.

Since my response to this thread, he has removed his reply to my negative feedback on his profile that contained a link to this thread. That says something.

I'll put this unit away and think about whether I eventually get it serviced or simply sell for parts.

Thanks again everybody. I know that I am partly responsible for getting myself into this mess and it's time to move on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:41 pm 

Ishis wrote:

8)

^^^^ Exactly what ISHIS said. Buyer refused the audition. Buyer contacted seller two weeks later. Buyer got the tech to open the amp without seller's consent. And yes, it does matter if you contacted two DAYS or two WEEKS later, so your assumption of that time 'limit' is very weak.

Yes, expensive lesson learned, and personally, I don't think it's anywhere near 50/50.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:38 pm 

Update with diagnostic details to follow within the next couple of weeks...

The amp has been in the hands of a competent, experienced tube amp tech for close to 3 weeks now and he has confirmed that there are a number of issues that could not possibly been caused by me.

Whether I audtioned it or not, the fact is that this unit was not fit for sale and the OP must have known it based on his claim of extensive experience with tube amps.

Those who have followed this thread, as well as those directed here by Adam Casanis' (aka ryrashot) edit of the original ad (and deletion of the ad copy, which is fortunately preserved earlier in this thread) deserve to have the facts presented in a clear, itemized manner.

I may end up facing nearly as much in repairs as I paid for the unit, which was advertised as "Plug & play - good for another 50 years!"

In that case, I'll write it off.

CAM members can do without sellers like Adam.

More to come...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm 
Premium User

Too little, too late.

Given the fact the seller offered you an opportunity to listen to the amp prior to purchase and you choose not to...and given the length of time between your purchase and where you are now at...and add to that the number of 'repair' people who have had the amp in their possession...and all that that can imply...there is every cause for that element of 'reasonable doubt' as to exactly what was the condition of the unit when you purchased it.

How do you know for certain that somebody who repairs these things is not 'self-serving' in their assessment of what needs to be done...especially as you have no doubt shared your concerns with him???

8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:08 am 

This thread illustrates a few things:

1. If you can audition, do so, and don't be afraid to walk away. If it's something you still want, but think it may have issues, ask to have it checked by a tech - if refuse, walk away.

2. Be extra wary of sellers or buyers with no feedback.

3. If you sold something by misrepresenting it and feel you are about to be called on it, post a thread here quickly. even if it's your first ever post, the initial pile-on on the buyer will help mitigate any issue you may have with negative feedback.

4. There are a number of people here with no sense of honour.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:31 am 
Premium User

dahlman wrote:
Whether I auditioned it or not, the fact is that this unit was not fit for sale and the OP must have known it based on his claim of extensive experience with tube amps.

I personally find this sentence troubling as the seller invited you to audition the amp prior to your purchase.

If what you state is true...it does not make any sense to me that you would have been offered a chance to hear it for yourself...

Just sayin'.

8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:55 am 

dahlman wrote:
Adam Casanis' (aka ryrashot)

I'm puzzled by this. Why is it that the seller seems to have 2 usernames/accounts?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:30 am 

Old School sums it up best.

Ishis - Good objective points for consideration. Here are some other points for your consideration:

- I'm not holding out false hope that I'll get anything out of original seller. My credibility was challenged by the OP/seller, so I'm simply going to present the diagnostic findngs to illustrate that this amp had serious issues from the start and that fellow CAM members should be wary of the seller.

- My first tech refused to work on the unit or take my money. My second (current) tech agreed at MY request to examine the unit in more detail, but is also strongly urging me to cut my losses if things are as bad as he thinks. They are both VERY good tube techs.

- Plenty of transactions are made without auditions. A dishonest seller may strategize that he/she is willing to fail a few auditions until somebody falls off the turnip truck and buys wthout audition.

Once I post the summary of findings, they'll speak for themselves.

-- 22 Apr 2013 10:46 --

Here's the final verdict from my 2nd tech after exhaustive examination and testing:

- Was "hacked to death by an amateur"

- Requires a total rebuild including replacement of a dyung transformer

Recommendation: Throw it off a bridge

Total charge for diagnostic from both of my techs: $0

I post this follow-up to illustrate to the vast majority of you, who ARE honourable, that I did not take issue without justification. Regardless of any other circumstance.

I now own a $500 paperweight.

Again, Old School summed it up best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:33 pm 

Why anyone would put 150 dollars worth of ampohm copperfoil and oil caps in a amplifier that has a poor power transformer is beyond me, further more the vented caps (wrong value too) under the hood from the very poor point 2 point rebuild of mutisections might be a clue as to the builders skill. Every tube socket was loose and heat stressed/cracked. The phase switch was broken internally causing issues with output, all but one pot tracked poorly and no resistors were replaced in this "rebuild", the original and well drifted and noisy carbon comp resistors were all still inside.

There is allot more to a rebuild than replacing SOME capacitors. Sending a amp out the door with broken tube guide pins and not disclosing this is nothing short of devious. This seller should be ashamed of himself for flogging this garbage and I feel for the buyer. I have been a member here for many years, have sold, bought and repaired on this forum for along time. I have never felt the need to audition anything and have had nothing but great experiences from everyone I met. I guess I got lucky over the years. I have noticed though in recent years the plague of flippers and dirtbags has grown to be out of control. :evil: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:52 pm 
Premium User

Hmmm...that does paint an entirely different picture...

8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:27 pm 

Thanks Vintage.

I can't thank you enough for taking a moment to post in this thread and help to vindicate me, not to mention how much time you took to both diagnose the amp and discuss it with me over countless emails.

You have a customer for life in me. I would and will recommend you to anybody who asks me if I know a great tech.

Now who wants to start a pool to see if Adam Casanis changes the original ad again...? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:53 am 

dahlman wrote:
Thanks Vintage.

I can't thank you enough for taking a moment to post in this thread and help to vindicate me, not to mention how much time you took to both diagnose the amp and discuss it with me over countless emails.

You have a customer for life in me. I would and will recommend you to anybody who asks me if I know a great tech.

Now who wants to start a pool to see if Adam Casanis changes the original ad again...? :lol:

From Dahlman's CAM Profile:

Quote:
1961 Sherwood S5500 case is closed and the unit is gone.

We will be deactivating one of Mr. Canasis' duplicate accounts. No further comment is necessary.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3