Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:38 pm 

I have recently purchased Sansui TU 519 tuner from Raymond329. It was advertised as "Excellent condition, no drift, perfect tuning alignment. Cosmetic 9.5/10". When the unit arrived I was a bit surprised how poorly it was packed. The unit was placed in a single box with pieces of styrofoam, not firmly secured. On the top of it, a lot of tiny styrofoam chips have got inside the tuner that I had to open and vacuum it (some pieces have gotten behind the face plate glass).

When I removed the cover this is what has been discovered:

1. Missing M4 cover bolt and other two with broken thread in the frame. Need to be replaced with new ones and new M5 thread had to be cut instead of broken M4.

2. Burned bulb 8V 320 ma.

3. Cracks on the faceplate glass.

4. Bent tuning knob. The set screw that holds knob to the axle could not be removed because of the deformation from the impact.
It is hard to see it on this image, but it took me more than 3 hours to put it back in to more or less working conditions. Upon arrival the tuning knob could not be turned without applying a significant force. Even now after hours of almost surgical operation this knob would not operate as it should, the axle has to be replaced.

5. Broken antenna screw.
I've glued it together using superglue. Not a big deal.

6. Problem with the location of stations on the FM scale. The stations on the left hand side of the scale are locked more or less fine, meaning CBC 93.9 is locked at roughly 94-94.5 that I would consider more or less OK. However, on the right hand side of the scale the World FM station that supposed to be at 101.7 is locked at 104-105. I would assume that tuner needs to be additionally tuned up to get proper station location.

My first impression was that the unit was likely damaged by the carrier Canada Post. The seller has used CPC ground shipping with $200 insurance. In few hours upon arrival of the unit I've emailed the seller the list of all deficiencies. In his response the seller stated that "the insurance coverage of $200 should be enough to cover the cost of the repair" and he is going to file a claim. After this the seller has filed an insurance claim to Canada Post and soon received $216.84 of refund. After this something has changed in his mind and the seller has requested this unit to be sent back to his address and only after it he will send $190 to my PayPal account. This means that the seller, who already received my $190 for this tuner, CPC money, will also get this unit back. To this point I have already invested in this tuner around 4 hours of my time and about $40 of parts, and would like to take this unit to the local shop to tune it up to the spec. Based on his message to me I was under impression that the seller will compensate me for all resources I will spend. How wrong I was!
I believe that this tuner from the beginning was in poor conditions (maybe fair, or 7/10 at best) and was falsely advertised on CAM for quick sell. The seller has received Canada Post money and at this moment he is in possession of $190 that I've paid to his PayPal account plus $216.84 from Canada Post. Not a bad deal for a broken unit! :)
I have informed Canada Post about this fraud and they have advised me to file a claim to PayPal. The PayPal resolution center has requested me to ship this unit back to the seller for my own expenses using certified carrier and they fill refund $190 back to my account. Probably a PayPal clerk who reviewed it did not understand what is going on, because the Seller in his message STRATEGICALLY did not mention about the CPC claim money he has received.
Saying this I believe this person Raymond329 does not deserve to be a member of CAM community. I would NOT recommend anyone to buy anything from this seller and put a life ban for this individual at CAM. In addition, I believe that I deserve at least $190 for my time and parts.
For myself lessons learned:
- do not trust the advertisements at Canuck Audio Mart.
- PayPal does not have competent personnel in the Resolution Centre.
If any additional information would be needed to clarify my message, please feel free to send me a message or post your comments. I would encourage Raymond239 to go to this thread and participate in the discussion. He has stopped answering my email messages.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:09 pm 

In 2009, I bought from the same seller. Please note the most recent feedback on his profile is not from me, but someone with a similar name. The feedback I left him is earlier in his feedback. The speakers that I purchased arrived bubble wrapped and surrounded in loose packing peanuts and hollow cardboard fillers. It was quite satisfactory but after moving them a few times a while later after the feedback period, there was clearly a problem. At some point he had taken the speakers apart and the push connectors inside the cabinet were loose causing one woofer to start operating at a lower level, easy fix but there was more. The dual crossovers had been unscrewed and never mounted back in place, and the treble and bass crossovers simply swung around on their leads all that time in shipping. All the screws were stuck to the woofers' spider suspension and motor structure. One cabinet was also refinished, and he made no note of this when I inquired about their condition. I guess I'm in the middle, but I've been able to correct everything wrong with them. I think people should put the extra cost into better packaging & avoid taking gear apart or modifying it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:41 pm 

i used to thinking about buying locally is better than remotely.

well, it is depend.

someone in this world not carrying any honor, that is fine. but they are not feeling anything wrong with shame.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm 
Premium User

I hear ya guys :? ....it's very sad to see that certain sellers eighter maliciously misrepresent their wares and then do not respond or better, accuse the buyer of the condition of said item OR the seller placed no care or thought into proper packing practice. I've always maintained that I must properly secure any item I offer for sale: tubes, speakers, amps. :idea: so spend the extra $ & you'll save $ on Tylenol and bad rep. :oops: :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:31 pm 

Since you have gone through the effort to post this thread, why not post negative feedback? It still shows as all positive.

A future buyer may not seek out a specific thread on an individual but may only rely on posted feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:45 pm 

Quote:
Since you have gone through the effort to post this thread, why not post negative feedback?

+1

Also, I bought a Technics power amp from a fellow in BC and paid the $60 he said it would cost to have it shipped to me safely with plenty of styrofoam sheets and "very well packed".

Well, the amp now sits in the repair shop because this guy shipped it in a box that was actually too small for the amp (when I first saw it at my post office my heart sank - you could actually see the corners of the amp pushing up against the top of the box!), and he threw a few foam "chips" in there - which did nothing except get inside the amp.

Nothing beats buying local if you can. If buying from somewhere that requires the item to be shipped, I now will make sure the seller has a rep for great packing, before I buy something.

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:14 pm 

Kartmn wrote:
Since you have gone through the effort to post this thread, why not post negative feedback? It still shows as all positive.

A future buyer may not seek out a specific thread on an individual but may only rely on posted feedback.

+1

I just left a negative for a Cammer that sent me a dead amp from Quebec. All it did was get me a retaliatory negative feedback from the seller. Even with that I felt the necessity to provide some awareness to the rest of the community. People can review the feedback and determine for themselves how much risk they're willing to take given this was this fellows second negative.

Do the right thing and leave the feedback. We all need to be aware when we're at risk.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:31 pm 

Quote:
I just left a negative for a Cammer that sent me a dead amp from Quebec. All it did was get me a retaliatory negative feedback from the seller.

I've always felt the feedback system here on CAM is flawed. A buyer should be able to leave negative feedback for a seller without the threat of a retaliatory feedback being left in response. Of course there would need to be some responsibility on the buyer's part to prove that a negative feedback is warranted. But if it is, then the mods should ensure that a buyer can leave a negative feedback without incurring one him/herself.

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:44 pm 

Here's an idea that is quite effective, it has worked well for me on two occassions now involving shipping. Ask for detailed photos of the shipping boxes. Ask for photos of the component inside the box prior to it being sealed finally, and photos of the box outside once packed. Also, ask for a detailed description of packing materials used. I only transferred funds once I was satisfied with the photos and descriptions. Some sellers may think this is too much of a PITA, but if they are not willing to understand where your concerns are coming from, and will not comply, then you may wish to back out of the deal. I feel badly for you regarding the tuner and this fiasco. We, as trusting buyers and good CAM members, just dont deserve to be treated this way :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:50 pm 
Premium User

cyrus wrote:
Here's an idea that is quite effective, it has worked well for me on two occassions now involving shipping. Ask for detailed photos of the shipping boxes. Ask for photos of the component inside the box prior to it being sealed finally, and photos of the box outside once packed. Also, ask for a detailed description of packing materials used. I only transferred funds once I was satisfied with the photos and descriptions. Some sellers may think this is too much of a PITA, but if they are not willing to understand where your concerns are coming from, and will not comply, then you may wish to back out of the deal. I feel badly for you regarding the tuner and this fiasco. We, as trusting buyers and good CAM members, just dont deserve to be treated this way :evil:

Asking for detailled pictures of the packaging steps before paying is a great idea Cyrus! I plan to incorporate this is any future sales or purchases not only here on CAM but from any other sales site.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:52 pm 

370lbgorilla wrote:
Quote:
I just left a negative for a Cammer that sent me a dead amp from Quebec. All it did was get me a retaliatory negative feedback from the seller.

I've always felt the feedback system here on CAM is flawed. A buyer should be able to leave negative feedback for a seller without the threat of a retaliatory feedback being left in response. Of course there would need to be some responsibility on the buyer's part to prove that a negative feedback is warranted. But if it is, then the mods should ensure that a buyer can leave a negative feedback without incurring one him/herself.

Allen

If you have all the emails and forward them to the mods, would they not remove the unwarranted retaliatory feedback? I have to think they would.

Perhaps one might chime in to confirm or deny?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:01 pm 

I always email pictures as I package anything I sold here-so the purchaser can rest easy as the item is shipped-I just belive this is a courtesy that should be shown after a person trusts me enough to send $$

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:05 pm 

Kartmn wrote:
If you have all the emails and forward them to the mods, would they not remove the unwarranted retaliatory feedback? I have to think they would.

Perhaps one might chime in to confirm or deny?

I am curious to know as well. I received a bad tube from a seller, which I returned. I am yet to receive a replacement or refund. No response to my emails either. Is there a mechanism to prevent retaliatory feedback?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:11 pm 

I would carefully consider it. I try not to get directly involved in others' sales dealings and feedback unless there is substantial evidence of what took place, because I wasn't there. Sometimes its difficult to differentiate the parties but if its clear and I can help, I do my best. Feel free to PM me anytime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:07 pm 

hmm, I saw one of these listed on Ontario Kijiji for free I believe last month.
Wonder if its the same one ?

Too bad !