Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncommitted seller
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:34 am 

This would have disappointed me greatly but I also understand he might have changed his mind about selling it at the last second and until money changes hands it is not a deal.

Although not applicable in this case, it is also possible that any one of us might meet up with someone while buying/selling that we don't want to complete a deal with (ie. person was rude to you or your family, an undecided buyer who wants long multiple auditions, someone who broke a couple appointments to meet, bad feedback history, etc.) so I can understand how it could theoretically happen.

As far as your post goes it would have helped if you had named the province of the sale since your brother could live in any province in Canada.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:57 am 

I agree with the OP. This should not have happened. A 200 km roundtrip is pretty far to come away empty handed. On my vehicle that means $30 worth of gas for nothing. Not cool. If the ad did not indicate that the product was not available immediately and the seller did not indicate prior to the buyer making the trip, he wasted everyone's time and fuel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:11 am 

May be the seller is afraid the money wasn't real, may be the seller has grown attached to this particular piece of gear, and much like a divorce, couldn't pull the trigger when the time is right.

But nonetheless, it is unprofessional on the seller's part, and he should al least pay the gas cost to the buyer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:30 am 

It was painful to part with my Rega Planar 2 last Friday, this was a beauty both in looks and sound, I asked the buyer if I could listen to couple of vinyls before it was gone, another CAM member was present looking at other equipment and sat down to enjoy Earth Wind and Fire and a German Beer, and so the Rega left home not before the buyer returning because he was so excited that forgot the cover, I was hoping he had second thoughts, the next day the buyer called with issues with the tone arm pulling back to its resting place, I gave him a brief explanation of proper setup of the RB250, later Saturday a text arrived "sound fantastic thank you for assist" and with it the realization of the END of my love affair, I knew it had to end that way, I couldn't take Rega with me, but it was hard to let go, for others it may become a vicious circle.

Now seriously, if the item was (or is) listed for over a year, then the seller should seek professional help, or he is simply up to no good but that would be my last thought if he is a member with good feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 am 

i think the moderator is wrong in this case what does everyone think

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:47 am 

I had a similar situation with a seller 2 years ago...offered $100 more than his asking price to make sure that i got it...he changed his mind...then relisted 3 months later for $200 less than i offered and then i saw the item sit, and sit, and sit...i had moved on by that time, so i was not making any offers, for all i know he still has it. Go Figure.

In regards to lining up replacement gear, either sell it to the buyer and take the money or dont entertain people in your home under the pretence of selling. I have to disagree with vince on this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:28 am 

Demo and carry, with a 50-50 warranty.
50 feet or 50 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:02 am 

I think the seller should have reimbursed the buyer for his gas money at least. Fortunately I haven't been in that situation as buyer or seller.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:03 am 

With the information that has been given it appears to be a very frustrating situation. But, there is two or even three sides to every story. We've only heard one. I don't believe we should all immediately takes sides and demand names. No transaction took place.

I sold one of my Les Pauls on Saturday morning. I had it advertized for weeks. When the guy showed up and threw down cash in front of my face (200 less than my asking price), I was really tempted to tell him no. In fact, even if he would have given me my full asking price, I was tempted to tell him no. I just really didn't want to sell it (even if I knew I had to). I didn't need the guitar, but I had grown an emotional connection to it over the years. I didn't realize this connection until I saw the money sitting in front of me.

It ended up being a lot more difficult to sell my trusted guitar than I had thought. I was surprise by my emotional connection. These things can happen to anyone.

Thanks for posting. Interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:08 am 

Sentimental value needs to be considered before putting an item up for sale. Waiting till a buyer approaches to reconsider is irresponsible. This is no different than considering the words typed into the keyboard before hitting the submit button to post to a board. An action, once taken, can not always be easily revoked.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:10 am 

Unless the op is misinforming us,,,,,the seller was offerred FULL price ,cash. What other side of the story could reasonably exist?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:26 am 

Quote:
It ended up being a lot more difficult to sell my trusted guitar than I had thought. I was surprise by my emotional connection. These things can happen to anyone.

This is the first stage of hoarding. :wink: There is treatment. I will offer my services, as my rates are very reasonable. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 am 

Thank you all for your input on this situation. I can understand where MTB Vince is coming from, given that it is not a sale, and that no money has transfered hands. And, I agree that a name should not be provided given that no formal transaction has taken place, as per CAM rules. But, it does not negate the ridiculousness of the situation! If the seller was holding off due to the fact that he was waiting to acquire another piece of gear prior to the sale, this should most definately should have been made clear prior to the effort, energy and time expended to view the piece, and then formally offer to purchase! And yes, it was indeed a turntable! :o

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:43 am 

noway wrote:
This would have disappointed me greatly but I also understand he might have changed his mind about selling it at the last second and until money changes hands it is not a deal.

Although not applicable in this case, it is also possible that any one of us might meet up with someone while buying/selling that we don't want to complete a deal with (ie. person was rude to you or your family, an undecided buyer who wants long multiple auditions, someone who broke a couple appointments to meet, bad feedback history, etc.) so I can understand how it could theoretically happen.

i am not going to against everyone(almost) as i would be pissed too. but i would suggest thinking about what noway said.

CanadianTire has a sign, saying that they would refuse any service to customer with harassment, swearing, etc.

as you can see, it is not always issue of money. seller has his right to refuse his service even buyer willing to pay full amount.

obviously, i am not suggesting cyrus's brother had conducted anything unpleasant.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:48 am 

Vinyl Guy wrote:
Quote:

This is the first stage of hoarding. :wink: There is treatment. I will offer my services, as my rates are very reasonable. :wink: :lol:

Yeah, I know. That's what happened. I have one too many guitars. Very true. But, that doesn't make it easy. I did sell it. I was just surprised by my reluctance.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next