Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Uncommitted seller
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:06 pm 

Well, here is a rather frusterating experience. I won't name anyone at this point, will wait to see how this all unfolds. I probably shouldn't even get involved actually, as this is on behalf of my brother. But alas, I find it to be quite ridiculous and felt the need to vent to other CAM members. There has been a nice piece of gear listed on CAM now, off and on, for about a year I would say, and is currently listed. The piece is located about 100 Km from where my brother lives. While on holiday, my brother decides that he would like to have a look and listen, and therefore contacts the seller to arrange a time. A time is agreed upon, which works out well, given that he can drop by to meet the seller and view the piece on his way back home from the holiday. My brother stops by the bank first, and withdraws the tidy sum of $1,600 cash to take with him, in the event that he decides to make the purchase. The piece is in mint condition, as advertised, and sounds wonderful as expected. After approximately 15-20 minutes of listening and general chat with the seller, my brother declares that he would like buy the piece, and that he will give him is FULL asking price of $1,600. The seller responds with "What, now? You want to take it now?" A little surpsrised by the response, my brother indicates that yes, this would be a good time, given that he is here now, lives 100 Km away, and has made the trip to bank and has the money in hand to pass over. To which the seller responds with "Well, I'll let you know in two weeks" :shock: Very strange indeed. Has anyone had a similar experience? :shock: This piece has been for sale for a year!!

Post subject: Re: Uncommitted seller
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:20 am 

could be the seller is lonely and uses the gear as a draw new friends...

All the best Les

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:25 am 

must be a turntable!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:59 am 

I think you should name them, this will prevent anyone else running into the same problem with this seller.

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:02 am 

AudiOhm wrote:
I think you should name them, this will prevent anyone else running into the same problem with this seller.

Regards
Ohms

+1. If you keep it to the facts,(which you have) there is no harm in telling the truth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:06 am 

As per CAM rules on these matters, If no goods or money changed hands, then no feedback can be left. Did it occur to everyone that perhaps the seller wants to line up the purchase of a replacement piece prior to giving up the piece of gear in question?

Regards,
MTB Vince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:11 am 

i think if he wants to play stupid you should name him and make him look like that to.

-- 29 Jul 2012 13:16 --

MTB Vince wrote:
As per CAM rules on these matters, If no goods or money changed hands, then no feedback can be left. Did it occur to everyone that perhaps the seller wants to line up the purchase of a replacement piece prior to giving up the piece of gear in question?

Regards,
MTB Vince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:23 am 

I have to say that would be quite annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:26 am 

The closest I came to your experience was at a record show. The dealer had come from quite a distance and the show was for 3 days. I had picked out half a dozen jazz LPs. The dealer basically told me that he wanted to keep a few of the jazz LPs for the rest of the show and told me to come back on Sunday to buy the rest?!? I was so shocked, I agreed. If I had my wits about me I should have handed back all of the LPs and walked away!

Some of these guys are hoarders and can't let go of anything. Clearly an annoying situation. That is why I phone people first & I am very clear that I expect the deal to be completed. Buyers can be that silly as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:32 am 

MTB Vince wrote:

Regards,
MTB Vince

Sorry... but in this case that's not really applicable. There is a committed offer at 100% of the ASKING PRICE, and you think the seller may be waffling because he wants to line up a replacement piece ????? Where do you get that bit of insight from ? Sorry.. take the money ! the seller was obviously committed to sell.. otherwise the ad should have been pulled down, or at the very least he should have advised the buyer of his reticence to sell.
This is just a lame excuse. It's a horrid waste of time on the part of the buyer as well. If the seller is just a "lonely bloke" who is looking for "friends".. then go use Craigslist !, if the seller is just a hoarder, and can't part with his "children" then he probably needs help. In either case.. it's a bum situation for the buyer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:35 am 

There is absolutely no excuse for what the seller did, His ad was essentially misleading. I'm surprised the seller didn't try some bait and switch when the buyer got there. Since the ad was misleading (suggesting the ad poster was indeed committed to sell the item for $1600), and the potential buyer was essentially robbed of the cost to drive 100KM+ then CAM should ban the "seller". They won't because they could get sued since there is no proof any of this happened. The only proof is that the buyer responded by email and that email thread shows intent for both parties. NO proof that the buyer even drove to the sellers home, although I believe he did and this happened.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:01 am 

MTB Vince wrote:
Did it occur to everyone that perhaps the seller wants to line up the purchase of a replacement piece prior to giving up the piece of gear in question?

Regards,
MTB Vince

With all due respect, that is ridiculous. How is it the purchasers problem that you don't have a replacement amp, turntable etc.? If I showed up to buy something and give the person the asking price, how is it my problem that he wants to wait for some unknown reason. If I was the original poster, I would have been absolutely pissed. Seller's remorse? If in fact, this is the case, then the seller's should have said this ahead of time especially since the buyer was coming from a far distance.

I had a similar thing happen years ago buying a 1 year old car. I agreed on a price and made arrangements to buy the gentlemen's car. When I went to buy the car, he was trying to back peddle a bit because he hadn't made any arrangements for another car or another way to get to work. I was really pissed and basically told him to **** or get off the pot because at that point I had taken out a loan and got him a cashier's check to pay for it. He agreed and sold me the car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:31 am 

joel wrote:
MTB Vince wrote:
Did it occur to everyone that perhaps the seller wants to line up the purchase of a replacement piece prior to giving up the piece of gear in question?

Regards,
MTB Vince

With all due respect, that is ridiculous. How is it the purchasers problem that you don't have a replacement amp, turntable etc.? If I showed up to buy something and give the person the asking price, how is it my problem that he wants to wait for some unknown reason. If I was the original poster, I would have been absolutely pissed. Seller's remorse? If in fact, this is the case, then the seller's should have said this ahead of time especially since the buyer was coming from a far distance.

I had a similar thing happen years ago buying a 1 year old car. I agreed on a price and made arrangements to buy the gentlemen's car. When I went to buy the car, he was trying to back peddle a bit because he hadn't made any arrangements for another car or another way to get to work. I was really pissed and basically told him to **** or get off the pot because at that point I had taken out a loan and got him a cashier's check to pay for it. He agreed and sold me the car.

+1,,,if I were selling in that case I would have felt committed to send the buyer on his way with the goods. I think Vince is playing letter of the law here,,legally it wasn't a deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:54 am 

+1,,,if I were selling in that case I would have felt committed to send the buyer on his way with the goods. I think Vince is playing letter of the law here,,legally it wasn't a deal.[/quote]

I realize that Vince is probably correct in that there isn't a contract in place but my point in my previous rant was that there is an expected moral or social contract in place. When you place an ad and someone shows up at an agreed upon time with the agreed upon selling price, I think that the purchaser has acted in good faith in expecting to be able to take the item home in exchange for the agreed price. If the seller's needs use of the item until such time as he gets a replacement piece that should be stated very clearly in the ad or in the original contact with a purchaser. To due anything else is bad form. Obviously, we are just guessing on the replacement unit theory. Who knows why the seller did what he did but in my mind, there is no question that he was in the wrong to not expect to give up the unit then and there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:09 am 

joel wrote:
mrhyfy wrote:
+1,,,if I were selling in that case I would have felt committed to send the buyer on his way with the goods. I think Vince is playing letter of the law here,,legally it wasn't a deal.

I realize that Vince is probably correct in that there isn't a contract in place but my point in my previous rant was that there is an expected moral or social contract in place. When you place an ad and someone shows up at an agreed upon time with the agreed upon selling price, I think that the purchaser has acted in good faith in expecting to be able to take the item home in exchange for the agreed price. If the seller's needs use of the item until such time as he gets a replacement piece that should be stated very clearly in the ad or in the original contact with a purchaser. To due anything else is bad form. Obviously, we are just guessing on the replacement unit theory. Who knows why the seller did what he did but in my mind, there is no question that he was in the wrong to not expect to give up the unit then and there.

+1.

It is inconsiderate of the seller to inconvenience the buyer in this manner. If he was unprepared to make the sale, too bad. Unprofessional conduct is what you'd expect from an amateur, but the bar needs to be raised in any business transaction. He should've owned up and sold the piece, ready or not.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next