Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:43 am 

It may not have been theft but it was definitely fraud.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:05 am 

starman100 wrote:
It may not have been theft but it was definitely fraud.

It is fraud if you can prove intent, rather than "I don't have the money", "The money order must have gotten lost in the mail", blah blah blah. Given the likely amount of money involved, it would be a stretch at best. Rather than an initial intent to defraud, the guy likely took the situation that was presented to him (pick up the item at the buddy's house and send a money order after the fact) as an opportunity. Still sucks though. Who is this loser anyway? :evil:

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:12 am 

I sent him an e-mail earlier today to respond (today) with the payment or an alternative arrangement or I would go the social network.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:27 am 
Premium User

HighlandsBoy wrote:
I still like the COD money order..........both parties are protected somewhat equally. Interac direct money order transfers are great for sellers but still risky for buyers. You're paying in good faith that the seller will send you something.

-- 26 May 2011 15:53 --

I have a friend in the Police Fraud department and will contact him.

"Risk"? That's what the feedback score is for...

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:11 pm 

Tell the thief you will post his email and all address info in various popular forums so that his fraudulent activity will easily show up in Google. You could have him listed within days. The Google bots find the posts with his email etc.. if he knows anything about how the internet works he will realise that his name has just become "that guy who commits fraud". Unless he's really stupid and only just dumb lucky dumber than dumb.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:52 pm 

fastxr wrote:
DTLB wrote:
AVguy wrote:
The "buyer" has committed a Criminal Offence. Send him one more message warning him that you will be contacting the Police if he doesn't pay-up immediately. If he doesn't, call the Police and report him....but you should be willing to follow-through to support the charges if you're going to do that.

The police will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! Sad but true...It's not worth their time or effort.. But it might put a "SCARE INTO THE SCUMBAG"

Unless he reads this..... :?

smart guy are ya.....

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:03 pm 

HighlandsBoy you are a very trusting soul who meets people more than half way. Don't let this likely one-time event change your admirable qualities. No piece of equipment is worth it. Hope it's resolved somehow.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:10 pm 

DTLB wrote:
smart guy are ya.....

Sorry couldn't resist. :D

OP I hope you get this worked out, its to bad that these things happen and unfortunately the few wreck it for the many and you will have to be more cautious in the future and get payment upfront or have you friend collect the payment when the buyer picks up. But don't let it go without payment upfront.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:24 pm 

Natal wrote:
HighlandsBoy you are a very trusting soul who meets people more than half way. Don't let this likely one-time event change your admirable qualities. No piece of equipment is worth it. Hope it's resolved somehow.

I completely agree with this. The world would be a poorer place if we got to the point where no one was willing to trust others any more. In fact, a lot of day-to-day business (especially in security trading) would not get done if some level of trust were not there. One poster above said that what the OP did was stupid. As far as I can tell, the OP spent over an hour on the phone with the buyer talking about audio passion. So the buyer is not just any random guy. In any case, HighlandsBoy...Sorry to hear about your trouble. You are an honourable person.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:57 pm 

I'm still hoping there is some logical reason why he has not responded. I'm sure that he intended to pay me as we had agreed to meet near Burlington....I was travelling that way last week but the "friend taking the unit back" opportunity presented itself and allowed an earlier delivery and a much shorter drive for the buyer so I jumped on that one. I'll try calling him again tonight before posting a "Negative Feedback". Thanks everyone for offering guidance and opinions. I learned a good lesson but it shouldn't work like that.