Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:17 am 

I sold an integrated amp to a member a few weeks ago. He gave his word that he would buy it and I gave my word that I would hold it until we could make delivery arrangements. I live in Eastern Ontario and he lives in Western Ontario. I exchanged e-mails and even spoke to him on the phone for over an hour sharing our passion for audio gear. He sounded like a very decent person. I made arrangements with a visitng friend to take the unit back home and the buyer could pick it up at his place which was only about 30 miles away. The buyer told me he would post the money order the day before. Well..............no money yet and he did pick up the unit. I have sent him e-mails and called his home. I was advised that he would call me back.......no call yet.....I'm being ignored. I checked his feedback and he looks upstanding.......so what is going on. He has been active recently on Kijiji in his hometown and also has items for sale on this site (2 days ago) so I know he is alive and well. I think I deserve a call with either arrangements to pay for the unit or to make arrangements to send it back.
I gave my word and stood by what I said. I made all the arrangements to deliver, saving him time, money and inconvenience. If I don't hear back today I'm going to post negative feedback. I feel quite justified with my intent. Does anyone have any advice? This is tantamount to theft.....this is theft!!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:33 am 

I've had the same thing happen but not to your extense of having it delivered across the province.That's part of selling on the net. Also, feedback can only be left with product being exchanged not pending.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:43 am 

I am not sure how it can be deemed "theft", since the unit was given to him freely ... a bad debt perhaps. It is certainly in bad faith, but that is why most people consider an item sold when the money is in hand. The only way that I will hold an item, or even agree to meet someone halfway, is if they send an Interac Direct money transfer. PayPal is a bad idea because you must be able to prove (tracking number) that you shipped the item if they try and claim it wasn't received.

-- 26 May 2011 10:46 --

leeph wrote:
I've had the same thing happen but not to your extense of having it delivered across the province.That's part of selling on the net. Also, feedback can only be left with product being exchanged not pending.

Actually; since the "buyer" has the item, I think that negative feedback is allowed ... and fully justified IMO. If it was the other way around ... buyer paid, but did not get the item ... then it would really be the same thing.

By the way, who is this deadbeat so the rest of us can avoid him?

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

Last edited by Quadzilla on Thu May 26, 2011 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:51 am 

-I see this human example of a big mistake has been banned by CAM.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Thu May 26, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:56 am 

HighlandsBoy wrote:
I sold an integrated amp to a member a few weeks ago. He gave his word that he would buy it and I gave my word that I would hold it until we could make delivery arrangements. I live in Eastern Ontario and he lives in Western Ontario. I exchanged e-mails and even spoke to him on the phone for over an hour sharing our passion for audio gear. He sounded like a very decent person. I made arrangements with a visitng friend to take the unit back home and the buyer could pick it up at his place which was only about 30 miles away. The buyer told me he would post the money order the day before. Well..............no money yet and he did pick up the unit. I have sent him e-mails and called his home. I was advised that he would call me back.......no call yet.....I'm being ignored. I checked his feedback and he looks upstanding.......so what is going on. He has been active recently on Kijiji in his hometown and also has items for sale on this site (2 days ago) so I know he is alive and well. I think I deserve a call with either arrangements to pay for the unit or to make arrangements to send it back.
I gave my word and stood by what I said. I made all the arrangements to deliver, saving him time, money and inconvenience. If I don't hear back today I'm going to post negative feedback. I feel quite justified with my intent. Does anyone have any advice? This is tantamount to theft.....this is theft!!

Why accept a money order without cashing it first before sending the item for pick up near the buyer's home? Why trust a total stranger? I never understand how these sales happen in this day and age. Thieves are equal opportunity beggars, they rob anyone. Mailing is almost always part of the scam. Someone wants to pay by money order tells me a scam is a foot, at least part of the time and not worth the risk especially if you can sell local. Cash in hand or take the risk of being had by some short or long con artist. Oh yeah, con artists all seem nice since they have to earn your confidence in them prior to getting you to part with their money.

After a few PM's to the buyer, be quick to give a negative feedback to let everyone know. Then request he be banned by CAM if nothing is resolved. Send all info to the local police and ask them about involving the RCMP. Get the buyer quaking in his boots and post for all to see this is a scammer. Theft is theft and this guy should be reported to your local police.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:01 am 

Sorry, I missed the part that the item was picked up. In that case, yes negative feedback is deserved. Having item delivered, I would had the friend take payment when delivery was done though.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:01 am 

In the real world your friend should take the money order when the buyer picks up the unit.

The way you did it was stupid and should be a good life lesson. Harsh yes, but honest.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:15 am 

First time this has happened to me! All my most recent transactions have been Canada Post COD money order and it has worked well. If a customer doesn't agree then it is no deal. This guy was genuine on the phone....he sounded like a decent, intelligent, honest person. If something has happened that he can't pay then at least give me the option of extending the time or asking him to return it. As far as the theft thing, it is tantamount to theft but I guess it really would be fraud given the guy has no intention of paying. He picked it up at my friend's home so it is not just his word against mine. I have all the previous e-mails to substantiate our business. On payng when he picked it up.........yes should have done that but the friend would only have to arrange to get me the funds. I hope he realizes that his good standing is about to tube. I was dumb but he is dumber!!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:20 am 

HighlandsBoy wrote:
.........yes should have done that but the friend would only have to arrange to get me the funds. I hope he realizes that his good standing is about to tube. I was dumb but he is dumber!!

True enough, but the money would have been safe with your friend ... at least I would hope so. Forget about money orders. Interac Direct money transfers are VERY EASY, instantaneous, and the buyer pays the fee ... which ends up being cheaper than a postal money order and a postage stamp. I bought a set of cables from a CAM member last week, paid by Interac Direct ($1.50 charge to me), and had the cables hooked up in my system before the weekend. Forget about PayPal too. Way too many loopholes for scammers. I am sorry about your luck, but think about other options for the future.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:38 am 
Premium User

The "buyer" has committed a Criminal Offence. Send him one more message warning him that you will be contacting the Police if he doesn't pay-up immediately. If he doesn't, call the Police and report him....but you should be willing to follow-through to support the charges if you're going to do that.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:41 am 
Premium User

HighlandsBoy wrote:
First time this has happened to me! All my most recent transactions have been Canada Post COD money order and it has worked well. If a customer doesn't agree then it is no deal. This guy was genuine on the phone....he sounded like a decent, intelligent, honest person. If something has happened that he can't pay then at least give me the option of extending the time or asking him to return it. As far as the theft thing, it is tantamount to theft but I guess it really would be fraud given the guy has no intention of paying. He picked it up at my friend's home so it is not just his word against mine. I have all the previous e-mails to substantiate our business. On payng when he picked it up.........yes should have done that but the friend would only have to arrange to get me the funds. I hope he realizes that his good standing is about to tube. I was dumb but he is dumber!!

Regarding trusting someone speaking to someone on the phone, may I say only 1 word: Telemarketers.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:45 am 

I still like the COD money order..........both parties are protected somewhat equally. Interac direct money order transfers are great for sellers but still risky for buyers. You're paying in good faith that the seller will send you something.

-- 26 May 2011 15:53 --

I have a friend in the Police Fraud department and will contact him.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:53 am 

HighlandsBoy wrote:
I still like the COD money order..........both parties are protected somewhat equally. Interac direct money order transfers are great for sellers but still risky for buyers. You're paying in good faith that the seller will send you something.

If I am selling something, I KNOW that I am going to send the item. I just want to know that I am going to get paid. If the buyer isn't comfortable with that (and my feedback), then he can choose not to buy the item. I have purchased many items using Interac Direct, and I have never been burned ... but then again, I do my homework. Having said that though, not long before I stopped selling on CAM I started selling locally ... no shipping. Cash and local pickup is best ... for BOTH buyers and sellers.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:11 am 

AVguy wrote:
The "buyer" has committed a Criminal Offence. Send him one more message warning him that you will be contacting the Police if he doesn't pay-up immediately. If he doesn't, call the Police and report him....but you should be willing to follow-through to support the charges if you're going to do that.

The police will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! Sad but true...It's not worth their time or effort.. But it might put a "SCARE INTO THE SCUMBAG"

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:31 am 

DTLB wrote:
AVguy wrote:

The police will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! Sad but true...It's not worth their time or effort.. But it might put a "SCARE INTO THE SCUMBAG"

Unless he reads this..... :?