Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:29 am 

I need an advice. I bouhgt a record from a CAM member in Toronto. It took 2 weeks for him to ship after a reminder. He apologized that his gf forgot to send out and then promised to send me a bonus record due to the issue. Sounded very good. After 3 weeks, the bonus record never showed up. Emails were ignored.

It was okay to me if he shipped late and apologized. But if he promised to send the bonus record, he should have kept his words. Since I received the record I bought (with late shipping), I would give a "neutral" feedback. But CAM does not have "neutral" feedback, so I can either forget about the feedback or give him negative feedback. What would you do? Of course he did not give me feedback although I did all the right things as a buyer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 am 

When did CAM remove the neutral feedback option?

Anyway, how was the record? If you're happy with it then say so....with the proviso that shipping/communication could've been better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:40 am 

you r right. I did not notice CAM also has "neutral" option. The record was alright. I just thought that even if he did not want to send me the bonus record, he owed me an explanation. Oh, I did not request him to do anything due to the late shipping issue. He just volunteered to give me the bonus record to make up for the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:50 am 

Regardless of how the transaction went, if he didn't leave feedback for you then I wouldn't for him. But that's just me. I bought something from an "un-named dealer" that I left no feedback for, he had a great reputation so I felt it was best just not to leave any at all.

The story goes like this... I see an ad for and item and I call him right away and say I am coming after work to purchase it. When I get there he says he sold it. (not everyone follows through on their promises so I can understand that "cash in hand" rules). He offers me another item that is more money, I say I don't have that much and he proceeds to discount it because he feels bad that he sold the item I came for. It's still out of my price range (but now I'm getting hooked on the better product), and I ask if he will accept some trades that I have and he agrees. I still need to try this out at home for an extended period of time so I give him the asking price as a deposit and if I like it I bring in my trades and he gives me back the agreed upon difference +/- for the condition after inspection, or he gives me my money back if I don't like it.

I call him back after the weekend and say that I really like it and I am bringing my trades in after work (these were already loaded into the car). He then tells me that he made a mistake on the price and he wants $100 more than he offered it to me for, and that he didn't want my trades and if I didn't have the money I should just bring it back for a full refund.

I know this was a mistake in his part but now I feel that I was double duped, needless to say I kept the item and did not return with more money. He had my full name, phone # and contact info from CAM but never contacted me for the extra $100. He never left any feedback for me, I didn't leave any for him. Just a deal that didn't go very well between 2 experienced people in the hobby.

On another note, this shows the importance of dealing with good upstanding members with positive feedback... could you imagine if this guy was some yahoo that tracked me down and demanded his $100 dollars or me being a jerk and plastering his company's name all over CAM calling him scammer? Sometimes it's just best to let things go and let sleeping dogs lie, which are typically traits of upstanding CAM members.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:22 am 

[Post deleted -- off topic. Mod.]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:01 pm 

mchase66 wrote:
Regardless of how the transaction went, if he didn't leave feedback for you then I wouldn't for him. But that's just me. I bought something from an "un-named dealer" that I left no feedback for, he had a great reputation so I felt it was best just not to leave any at all.

The story goes like this... I see an ad for and item and I call him right away and say I am coming after work to purchase it. When I get there he says he sold it. (not everyone follows through on their promises so I can understand that "cash in hand" rules). He offers me another item that is more money, I say I don't have that much and he proceeds to discount it because he feels bad that he sold the item I came for. It's still out of my price range (but now I'm getting hooked on the better product), and I ask if he will accept some trades that I have and he agrees. I still need to try this out at home for an extended period of time so I give him the asking price as a deposit and if I like it I bring in my trades and he gives me back the agreed upon difference +/- for the condition after inspection, or he gives me my money back if I don't like it.

I call him back after the weekend and say that I really like it and I am bringing my trades in after work (these were already loaded into the car). He then tells me that he made a mistake on the price and he wants $100 more than he offered it to me for, and that he didn't want my trades and if I didn't have the money I should just bring it back for a full refund.

I know this was a mistake in his part but now I feel that I was double duped, needless to say I kept the item and did not return with more money. He had my full name, phone # and contact info from CAM but never contacted me for the extra $100. He never left any feedback for me, I didn't leave any for him. Just a deal that didn't go very well between 2 experienced people in the hobby.

On another note, this shows the importance of dealing with good upstanding members with positive feedback... could you imagine if this guy was some yahoo that tracked me down and demanded his $100 dollars or me being a jerk and plastering his company's name all over CAM calling him scammer? Sometimes it's just best to let things go and let sleeping dogs lie, which are typically traits of upstanding CAM members.

Wish we knew who this dealer was, nice tactics, agree upon a price, then ask for more once you got the unit home... although I can see why you did not leave feedback...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:57 pm 

dungvn wrote:
But CAM does not have "neutral" feedback, so I can either forget about the feedback or give him negative feedback. What would you do? Of course he did not give me feedback although I did all the right things as a buyer.

You are incorrect. Did you even look if there is Neutral Feedback?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:07 pm 

Is neutral like an Easter egg?
Hidden?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:45 pm 
Premium User

well i bet it has got to be 1 of 2 dealers on here. There are only 2 that show any real interest in trades. I'm guessing if you look at where the poster lives then that will be hint enough, but i could be completely wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:57 pm 

avhed wrote:
dungvn wrote:
But CAM does not have "neutral" feedback, so I can either forget about the feedback or give him negative feedback. What would you do? Of course he did not give me feedback although I did all the right things as a buyer.

You are incorrect. Did you even look if there is Neutral Feedback?

did you read my second post?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:08 pm 
Premium User

To the OP if you keep this thread going you will probably create a negative situation for yourself, like the poster a few threads above has done. I would just let it go, you got what you paid for and if the guy didnt follow through on his promise that speaks volumes about the person and you should just avoid dealing with him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:45 am 

Thanks for your advice. Is that really how CAM discussion forum works? Even if you do nothing wrong but if you post a question and it may turn to negative to yourself? If so, this is the last post I will ever put on CAM. I have dealt many times with CAM members and there have been all pleasures.

Regarding this situation, of course I will let it go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:15 am 

dbastings wrote:
To the OP if you keep this thread going you will probably create a negative situation for yourself, like the poster a few threads above has done. I would just let it go, you got what you paid for and if the guy didnt follow through on his promise that speaks volumes about the person and you should just avoid dealing with him.

Prompt payment, prompt delivery and response to emails are expected. If any of these areas are lacking, I think that there should be appropriate feedback provided. Other CAMers need to know what they are dealing with. They should know if the seller waits two weeks to ship and doesn't reply to emails. Sure, the item may ship, but IMO the expectation is that the seller replies to emails regarding ship date and ships by the date agreed upon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:03 am 

dungvn wrote:
Thanks for your advice. Is that really how CAM discussion forum works? Even if you do nothing wrong but if you post a question and it may turn to negative to yourself? If so, this is the last post I will ever put on CAM. I have dealt many times with CAM members and there have been all pleasures.

Regarding this situation, of course I will let it go.

I dont think that is what he ment the other member who did the original post got very upset when the members did not agree with his op. In mho I think you are right and the dealer was wrong in the way he treated you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:16 am 

The above situations suggest to me the best way to deal with them is to walk away. There are a couple of people here with all positive feedback, who I would never deal with again because they are too "strange" when it comes to transactions.

In my mind, it is best to avoid the situation.