Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:05 am 
Premium User

OBI56 wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:
Done Deal.
Attachment:
Done Deal.jpg

Regards
Ohms

And THAT is the ONLY definitive way to ensure that a sale is really a sale. Offer extended by buyer, offer accepted by seller, money and goods exchanged.

Correct. And what a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:01 am 
Premium User

Tangram wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:
Done Deal.
Attachment:
Done Deal.jpg

Regards
Ohms

And THAT is the ONLY definitive way to ensure that a sale is really a sale. Offer extended by buyer, offer accepted by seller, money and goods exchanged.

Correct. And what a shame.

Really...a shame???

Reality not good enough for you? :lol:

How would you have it???

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:25 am 

The potential buyer should of payed right away like most people would do if they want the item bad enough , Instead in this case he puts off paying later in the day ,....For all it took to inform the seller of this he should of sent the payment then and there .......occasionally I have had CanuckAudio members respond to my ads indicating they want to purchase and then I never hear back from them ,..If there were more then one person wanting to purchase I inform them whom ever pays first , gets it ,..very simple ,.Sh** or get off the pot ,..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:38 am 

Che Cavolo wrote:
RalphH wrote:
For my part, and with respect I am unsure if you have simply confused a moral obligation with mere politeness.

Politeness is a moral value, just sayin'.... :wink:

Politeness and good manners are often culturally determined. So are many ethical & moral values. A lot of common things today like the frequent use of the F bomb to punctuate conversation were impolite and extraordinary bad manners not that many years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:06 am 

Philosophil wrote:
I will say that most of us have general rules and principles that we follow as guides to everyday action (we've seen some good examples of such general maxims in this very thread). Most of the time we don't think much about our guiding maxims but simply follow them in a kind of automatic manner. Sometimes, however, we might wonder after the fact if the way we acted in a given situation was right or not and this usually leads to some degree of philosophical reflection. Sometimes we try to modify or alter our maxims or principles as a result of such reflection, vowing to try to act better in the future, and other times we leave them as they are (for whatever reason). The main point of such reflection in the vast majority of circumstances is to modify how we might behave in the future so that we don't repeat the problems or mistakes of the past, vowing to do better or try harder (e.g vowing to try not to yell so much at your kids, vowing to try not to get so impatient with your aging mother, or vowing to try to be more helpful around the house for one's spouse, and other kinds of commonplace examples).

As for the example at hand, the end that was gained by the seller was probably something like the maximizing profit by selling to someone else after having first accepted payment from first buyer, while the buyer lost an opportunity to purchase an item because of a false, broken, or misleading promise that was made by the seller, as well as the time and effort wasted in the process. There's nothing 'illusory' here. Lost or diminished opportunities have real effects, plain and simple and many a lawsuit has been waged and won over such things.

Ethics relates to action and specifically it relates to questions about how we as moral agents 'ought' to behave. This doesn't mean that all people all the time actually behave as they ought to, I don't know anyone who believes that. I live in the same world you do and we all know that there are some people who are nasty a lot of the time and some who are nasty some of the time, but most people tend to be good, decent people most of the time.

It's true that etiquette relates to how we 'ought' to behave, but it differs from ethics primarily in that where etiquette tends to be a matter of custom or convention, ethics tends to be more principled in one sense or another. But while etiquette is different from ethics, there may be good ethical reasons for following general rules of etiquette in most situations (unless the rules of etiquette are themselves ethically problematic in some important sense).

It's actually encouraging to hear you've done some reading in ethics and moral issues. Thanks for the comments.

Anyway, I've said too much already in this thread and so leave the discussion to others.

Enjoy.

Thanks for your response. Please refer to the section I have marked in bold above and to the quote from the OPs account of the communication he had

Quote:
February-14-10 9:41 PM
Hello,
The postage is 20CAD via Xpresspost, takes 2 days arriving to you. So the total amount will be 205 CAD.
I accept paypal and interac. Please let me know quickly because I have
other interest from ON.
Thanks,
JT

February-15-10 5:43 AM
Hi:
Paypal is fine with me.
Cheers,
Loyd
Monday, February 15, 2010 8:20:
I have to go to work. Pay you when I return around 6PM.
Cheers,
Loyd

February-15-10 12:53 PM
Hello Loyd,
Sorry the item has been sold. Someone came and pick it up.
Thanks
JT

So did I have a sale?

No payment was made. The seller notified him well before the proposed payment. Did he have a sale? No. For there to be a sale there has to be a meeting of the minds and an exchange of consideration. There was neither. The seller also notified the buyer well in advance of when the buyer offered to make payment that the item was no longer available. As far wasting time. Well the OP should have completed the transaction asap then no one's time would have been wasted.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:09 am 

gasboy33 wrote:
armaudio wrote:
hifijones wrote:
Good nose, armaudio.

The sellers' belated offer had a whiff of desperation to it. Best to leave it alone and be patient for whatever you're looking for.

I've resigned myself to buying it new in the near future. Now, where to find that extra 50% !

So if you have agreed on a price with shipping and any other fees included, and sent the payment to the seller, and then received confirmation that it has been sent, and then have the seller email you back less than 2 hours later that he has refunded you your money because he has now accepted a higher offer does that constitute reason for negative feedback, or is it still not allowed?

I was referring to the example of the person who resurrected the thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:46 am 

Ok so in this live action demonstration of miscommunication who has violated their moral obligation to who? :lol:

Have a great day Phil. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:01 am 

RalphH wrote:
Ok so in this live action demonstration of miscommunication who has violated their moral obligation to who? :lol:

Have a great day Phil. :D

You too! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:26 am 

The OPs gripe was a simple case of "You Snooze You Lose"

If you really want something, just buy it. If you need more info about an item a few email exchanges may be necessary.
One can lose out on a deal if your intentions aren't clear or if you hesitate and delay communication and payment.

I feel just because you maybe enter into a dialogue with someone doesn't mean I am then bound to sell to that person.
There are timewasters on CAM, that's why I am not big on waiting or reserving, you never know who is for real.

If you make a deal with someone and you arrange a pickup time, I will tell other inquiries that I think its sold
if the person doesn't show I will let you know. I am a firm believer in "Money Talks Bullshyte Walks"

I get a kick out of some guys on here when they lose out on a deal.
They get angry and say that they have been waiting forever for a particular item...well why didn't you just buy it.
Or because they delayed they get all legal. You cant force someone to sell you something.
This is CAM not a courthouse and if I had to get everything notarized or enter into a contract, I wouldn't use CAM

All I have is my word and my balls and I don't break them for anyone or anything.
I have got deals and I have also delayed and missed out on deals, but that's my fault.
Sure I would be mad if I paid and the person backed out of a deal. I figure it wasn't meant to be, cest la vie.
If the seller deals like that, it is probably just as well. He probably misrepresented the item to begin with and you are better off anyways. It all works out in the end...then next week you find a better deal.

If you were allowed to leave negative feedback for something you were thinking about buying or for a deal that almost happened
that would turn out to be a nightmare for CAM and the mods. Don't sweat the petty stuff, chalk it up to a life experience.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:43 am 

RalphH wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:
RalphH wrote:
For my part, and with respect I am unsure if you have simply confused a moral obligation with mere politeness.

Politeness is a moral value, just sayin'.... :wink:

Politeness and good manners are often culturally determined. So are many ethical & moral values. A lot of common things today like the frequent use of the F bomb to punctuate conversation were impolite and extraordinary bad manners not that many years ago.

Still are today, problem is we have become so desensitized to ill manners and lack of etiquette that it has become commonplace to egnore or even worse not notice when it happens. There really are times I miss the " good old days ".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10