Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: When is a sale a sale?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:07 pm 

For the second time in a month, I have been left wondering...when is a sale a sale?

I'll use today's experience to illustrate. Here are the e-mails I exchanged with the seller (minus the personal details):

Sunday, February 14, 2010 9:04 AM
I'll take this item if you still have it.
Cheers Loyd.

February-14-10 1:29 PM
Hello Loyd,
Yes I still have it. Tell me you postcode I will give you a total quote include the postage.
Thanks JT

Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:47 PM
Hi:
My address is
Loyd Csizmadia
(etc)
V2G 5B5
Thank you:)

Cheers,
Loyd

February-14-10 9:41 PM
Hello,
The postage is 20CAD via Xpresspost, takes 2 days arriving to you. So the total amount will be 205 CAD.
I accept paypal and interac. Please let me know quickly because I have
other interest from ON.
Thanks,
JT

February-15-10 5:43 AM
Hi:
Paypal is fine with me.
Cheers,
Loyd
Monday, February 15, 2010 8:20:
I have to go to work. Pay you when I return around 6PM.
Cheers,
Loyd

February-15-10 12:53 PM
Hello Loyd,
Sorry the item has been sold. Someone came and pick it up.
Thanks
JT

So did I have a sale? Is negative feedback justified?
You are the jury

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:18 pm 

I'd say you got screwed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:21 pm 

Just my opinion... kind of a loose agreement there... he did warn you he had other interested buyers and you were not able to pay rite at the time of agreement so I think its fair that he sold it... you know how many times i've heard "pay you tomorrow or later"... sucks for you but I don't think its fair to leave negative feedback in this situation...

oh... and lets say u asked "is it ok if i pay you at 6pm cause i need to get to work?"... and if he said "yes".... then that would make negative feedback fair... :wink:

Last edited by wesworld1970 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:25 pm 

I don't know.....you delayed payment, despite being warned of other interested parties. I'd say you took and chance and lost out. Nobody's fault.

As I understand the rules, feedback can only be left if there was a transaction between the buyer and seller. Since you weren't the buyer, I don't see how you can leave feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:26 pm 

Hey Mccsiz,

I would have considered your offer a sale - but, why did you bother with two more emails on Monday morning after the seller told you the total? Why didn't you just send the money via PayPal on Monday morning?

Neg feedback... I would say no.

Cheers,
Richard

Verdier La Platine. SME 3012 R. Ortofon Jubilee. Audio Note AN-S2 SUT. Dynavector DV-505, Denon 103 R. Denon 340 AU SUT/Klangfilm SUT. Audio Note M6 phono pre, Audio Note P4 Mono blocks, Ocellia Celia Silver Speakers, Auditorium 23 cables.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:33 pm 

KaiCable wrote:
Hey Mccsiz,

I would have considered your offer a sale - but, why did you bother with two more emails on Monday morning after the seller told you the total? Why didn't you just send the money via PayPal on Monday morning?

Cheers,
Richard

I agree.

I also find the fact you had time to send 2 emails in just under 3 hours but couldn't find the time to pay the seller a little weird.

There is no reason for negative feedback in this case, especially since the seller warned you about other potential buyers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:41 pm 

Burnt wrote:
KaiCable wrote:
Hey Mccsiz,

Cheers,
Richard

I agree.

I also find the fact you had time to send 2 emails in just under 3 hours but couldn't find the time to pay the seller a little weird.

There is no reason for negative feedback in this case, especially since the seller warned you about other potential buyers.

Agreed with both of you, this does not qualify for a negative feedback at all. I would have sent funds right away via paypal, instead for telling him that paypal is fine with me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:57 pm 

Fair enough guys,
but I can't send money if I haven't got a destination. I would have paid him on day 1 if I had known where to send the PayPal transaction.
Thanks for your interest. I'm not as peeved as I was :lol:
Cheers,
Loyd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:46 pm 

You got

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:04 pm 

After your last email to him his next action should have been to send you a Paypal invoice for the total and not to entertain offers from local buyers.

Just sending Paypal to any old address is never a good idea. If you had made an assumption that the email address he was communicating was also his paypal one that could have been a mistake and you would now be applying to get your money back from Paypal. If a local buyers money is of a premium he should be stating local sales only in his listing.

my $0.02 you did everything right

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:02 pm 

If you had said on your first e-mail.
Hi _________,
I will buy unit this is my paypal address please send me a bill and I will pay right away.

P/S E-mail me right away as soon as you've done an invoice.
Thanks_________ I'll be waiting for your E-mail.

All the best________

Then you could say you've been screwed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:51 pm 

The seller could send an update to the first buyer someone else is also interested, if no hear back in xxx hours, it could be gone.

I usually keep my words so if a potential buyer is interested, usually is one at a time, I'd tell others someone is interested already, will let them know if it falls through. I understand sometimes you don't want to lose out a deal, but remember email communication is not instant, may take someone hours to read the replies and respond accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:21 pm 

Stark wrote:
After your last email to him his next action should have been to send you a Paypal invoice for the total and not to entertain offers from local buyers.

Just sending Paypal to any old address is never a good idea. If you had made an assumption that the email address he was communicating was also his paypal one that could have been a mistake and you would now be applying to get your money back from Paypal. If a local buyers money is of a premium he should be stating local sales only in his listing.

my $0.02 you did everything right

I agree with this view. All of my transactions on CAM have proceeded in a similar manner to Stark's summary.
And for the record, if I say I will buy, I will. Check my feedback. :D
Cheers,
Csiz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:55 pm 

If I have an item for sale and someone sends me an email saying "I'll take it", I would give priority to that person as far as completing the transaction. All I see in this case is a buyer trying to verify the total cost before sending payment. The buyer has agreed to the final cost and has said they will send payment later in the day. If I were the seller I would have waited until at least 6pm before agreeing to sell to someone else. That IMHO would be the honorable thing to do.

I don't think negative feedback would be appropriate, given that no money changed hands. Negative feedback (left for a seller) should be reserved for cases where you are out money, such as a clear misrepresentation of the condition(hence worth less), or total rip-offs.

I also think you did everything perfectly fine. The seller may be of the "first guy with the cash gets it" mentality. Just the way some people are.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:58 pm 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Seller should have asked to send you a PayPal invoice, that would confirm to him that's the method of payment to be used.
Once you paid, then it's a done deal.
Chalk this up to miscomunication.
As others have said, feedback can only be left on a completed transaction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next