It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Can CAM make or break a hifi business?
Poll ended at Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:55 am
No, CAM is not representative of the market 91%  91%  [ 64 ]
Yes, CAM is 70% of the CDN hifi consummers 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 70
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:55 am 

Given the membership of this site and its place in Canadian hifi, do you think that CAM members can make or break a dealer, a distributor or a manufacturer via on-line threads and feedback? Dealers who use this site extensively are welcome to explain how CAM helped or handicapped them and what they would have done different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:52 am 

xxxx

Last edited by vintage on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:21 am 

CAM affect dealers.....you must be joking.....but no the less an interesting insight as to why you have seen it important to bombard us with anti-China propoganda over the last week or so. 70% of the market????

Get off your self important high-horse.....these forums are nothing more than a relatively small place for people to speak about audio. The forums only have 8200 members, a lot who have never posted. My guess would be that at most there are perhaps 500 who are regular viewers of the posts....a small drop in the bucket of the audio world.

I would also hazard a guess that the majority of the stereo buying public rarely, if ever frequent CAM. If CAM were so important, I believe the admins would be getting a lot richer from all the dealers clamoring to advertise on such an important sight.

Keep in mind that not all audiophiles are constantly swapping gear....and unless you are a forum junky, there is little else to attract people here.

Quite an insight as to your overall knowledge of the way the world works.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:21 am 

repeat post...oops

Last edited by MKReid on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:35 am 

No!! CAM IMO is more about buying and selling of used gear and some Audio forums. I don't think comments made on CAM would make that much of a difference to a dealer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:46 am 

Mike

Did I make a statement or asked a question? you should learn how to read and then you can become a little more assertive about your opinion. And once you know how to read, you'll realise I did not bombard anti-China messages (I have been loyal to Shanling and Cayin for years), I just questioned someone's business model. Come again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:07 am 

McMartin,

Well, I am a little embarrassed. Although at one point you did encourage Grant fidelity to prove his quality as part of the anti-China undertones of recent threads....you also did provide some fair comments on the anti-China stance. :oops:

In the end....your constant posts got under my skin as you continued to dominate numerous threads. BTW I still fail to see how the model is MLM since he is not asking dealers to further sign up other dealers, but perhaps you could PM me for my enlightenment.

Your poll question however is "leading". By putting "70%" option two, your question is not unbiased and leads me to belive by adding quantification to the second option, that you favour that option. I also assumed that you placed the first vote (which was for the 70% option).

Congatulations at getting under another members skin. I am ashamed of myself.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:17 am 

McMartin

Dangerous thread given your most recent antics. You've asked a question to the membership, so please let them weigh in on the issue without continuing to add your own perspective.

Though some dealers perhaps like to have their own position and business model in excess on occassion, you have done the same thing in return so please practice what you are trying to preach.

If you don't like the comment.....touch luck. I too have an opinion and have been asked by a 1/2 dozen folks already to keep an eye on this thread.

If it gets out of control, it'll be locked and moved, so with that said, let's try to keep this as clean as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:52 am 

I think that the CAM forum can certainly sway a dealer's position in the marketplace. Although it may not be representative of the audio purchasing base as a whole, many of the people on here would be repeat buyers, looking to try something new all the time, thereby generating a larger percentage of the business than the one-time buyers. Also, I suspect that many of us would be the "go-to" for friends and family looking for audio advice, and as such, would have influence far outweighing our membership numbers. I don't think that CAM would be capable of putting a business into bankruptcy, but CAM could certainly contribute. (Arguably, if the CAM reception to the business is this poor, others outside of CAM would also regard it as a poor place to do business.)

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:20 am 

Hula

are you going to get on my back until you can win a point and compensate for your one-sided harassment that many people have witnessed last time and that get you an omelet on your face? same comment to you than to Mike, it was a question and I was just reminding him of it. Read his post, he acknowledges it and his only reel grief is that I dominate posts - I do not, I just contribute and express an opinion shared by many others. I have seen more people agreeing with me than disagreeing, read my past contributions. As for you, continue to provoke members or light some fire on threads, you really shine in the role of the moderator who would like to make a point but ends up goofing. the respect that people give you a a testimony by itself.

By the way, are you or are you not going to do your job and remind GF to stop using these threads to do propaganda and unpaid advertising? you should be more concerned of this than trying to show your muscle when it is not appropriate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:24 am 

MKReid wrote:
McMartin,

Well, I am a little embarrassed. Although at one point you did encourage Grant fidelity to prove his quality as part of the anti-China undertones of recent threads....you also did provide some fair comments on the anti-China stance. :oops:

In the end....your constant posts got under my skin as you continued to dominate numerous threads. BTW I still fail to see how the model is MLM since he is not asking dealers to further sign up other dealers, but perhaps you could PM me for my enlightenment.

Your poll question however is "leading". By putting "70%" option two, your question is not unbiased and leads me to belive by adding quantification to the second option, that you favour that option. I also assumed that you placed the first vote (which was for the 70% option).

Congatulations at getting under another members skin. I am ashamed of myself.

Mike

Mike, I did not vote - no need to blush more (!) and do not judge unless you have facts. As far as MLM, if the only sales are to wannabee dealers who are just trying to offload their samples to break even and get out, you have a 2-step pyramid. Not the real bad MLM, not the horrendous pyramid but fooling people into buying something in the hope that there is a market when all there is is the first layer - wannabee dealers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:47 am 

M,

I'd be happy to ask Grant Fidelity to use the forums as they were intended, however might I remind you that you are helping keep the threads fresh by continuing to comment in their direction.

Respectfully, if you don't want the topic brought up, you can help yourself in this matter by not continuing to post your comments to the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:50 am 

McMartin wrote:
Hula

are you going to get on my back until you can win a point and compensate for your one-sided harassment that many people have witnessed last time and that get you an omelet on your face? same comment to you than to Mike, it was a question and I was just reminding him of it. Read his post, he acknowledges it and his only reel grief is that I dominate posts - I do not, I just contribute and express an opinion shared by many others. I have seen more people agreeing with me than disagreeing, read my past contributions. As for you, continue to provoke members or light some fire on threads, you really shine in the role of the moderator who would like to make a point but ends up goofing. the respect that people give you a a testimony by itself.

By the way, are you or are you not going to do your job and remind GF to stop using these threads to do propaganda and unpaid advertising? you should be more concerned of this than trying to show your muscle when it is not appropriate.

M,

If you consider it harassment, you have the right to do so. We can let the group decide. If they see my comments as harassment as well, I'd be happy to take a public scolding myself.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I have no agenda here, other than to have you participate positively, which isn't the case at the moment.

I respect differing opinions, however it's the way you choose to share your comments and the content of these messages that I question.

If folks think I'm being unfair, I'm quite confident they'll take a moment to share this with me whether publicly, or via PM.

I have nothing to hide. Plain and simple.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:14 am 

McMartin wrote:
Given the membership of this site and its place in Canadian hifi, do you think that CAM members can make or break a dealer, a distributor or a manufacturer via on-line threads and feedback?

No. The relevance of CAM and all of the other similar forums on the web is remarkably small.

Is a man's best hedge
Against the vague uncertainies of life
Corb Lund

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:23 am 

we may seem to have a long list of members but only a few are active.

only with big audience can we be more influencial, perhaps agon can influence a dealer reputation better than cam can. but then again, i don't think you can freely put your thoughts into agon forums because everything is filtered before they are actually posted.

only consensus can bring the general audience to know about a store and this requires numbers of viewers/participants.

my opinion only....

Last edited by shsu on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.