Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:33 am 

My experience has revealed that Balanced/Symmetrical AC power supply (i.e. 'conditioner') to be the most effective strategy for combating the consistent (and unpredictable) 120V AC wall power.
Equipment plugged into it simply sounds cleaner, more "open", controlled, with clearly superior dynamics and LF resolution/precision.

The problem, it seems, is if/when too many components are plugged in, sound quality suffers. A sort of "modulation/distortion" of the internal transformer(s) must be the reason. (The units power rating was observed with plenty of headroom/current available.

Ideally, a separate AC Re-Gen (PS Audio P-3) for high-level/source components while a high-powered (1.2-1.5 KVa) Symmetrical/Balanced AC power supply (i.e. Equi-tech) for analog; pre/power components.

Anyone with experience comparing these and other methods to combat the vagaries of AC power quality/conditions and its impact upon SQ would be most informative.

pj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:08 pm 

I'm also interested in some repsonses on this. I have a PS Audio Dectet which at one point I had all of my equipment plugged into. I noticed that when I plugged my amp (Bryston 2.5B Cubed) into the wall outlet instead that it improved the dynamics and clarity quite a bit. I am curious if there is a "best practices" with certain power conditioners and certain pieces of equipment. I intend on upgrading the Dectet eventually to a Torus conditioner but in the meantime am interested in seeing some responses on this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:54 pm 

kyle_aubrey wrote:
I'm also interested in some repsonses on this. I have a PS Audio Dectet which at one point I had all of my equipment plugged into. I noticed that when I plugged my amp (Bryston 2.5B Cubed) into the wall outlet instead that it improved the dynamics and clarity quite a bit. I am curious if there is a "best practices" with certain power conditioners and certain pieces of equipment. I intend on upgrading the Dectet eventually to a Torus conditioner but in the meantime am interested in seeing some responses on this.

Hi Kyle: There certainly is a best practice; don't overload any power-supply/conditioner with too many products -and certainly do not mix digital with analog gear.

May I suggest you contact Equi=tech regarding their Balanced/Symmetrical Power Supply's; Martin Glasband (owner/CEO of Equi=tech) has pretty much written the code on Balanced Power for commercial/residential applications.

Although both Torus /Bryston and Equi=tech use Isolation transformers, Torus is NOT a Balanced/Symmetrical design. According to Mr. Glasband, a simple I.T. is barely better than direct wall connection -it may offer lower impedance than at the direct AC receptacle (depending on the transformer size I suspect).

I too, look forward to further thoughts by those with some additional experience.

pj