Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Can spade plugs fit on your amp terminals?
Yes, the terminals have enough room to fit just about anything 66%  66%  [ 29 ]
Nope, I only have enough room for Banana's [or bare] 30%  30%  [ 13 ]
It's a crap shoot, the spades would have to be pretty narrow 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 44
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:10 pm 
Premium User

Got Hi-Fi wrote:
Do you have a website for your products? when i search by your brand, all i get is Audioquest, as they use the same name.

I don't have a website [not yet, anyways].
My only advertising/promotion is done via the fine folks here at Canuck Audio Mart [both the site administrators, and of course you guys - the extremely supportive users!]. I don't have an ad up right now because I'm currently waiting on supplies to make some new cables, so technically I don't have anything to sell at the moment. In the meantime, you can look up my old ads on CAM, and they should give you an idea of what I'm all about.
Also, depending on how much time the boss [wife] lets me put in to this venture, I may also start an eBay store. We have a new addition to the family on the way shorty though, so that may be put on hold for some time.
As of right now, like user Alec_124_c41 said, I'm in the "KISS" stage of my business.
Slowly [very] I will try to get the name out there, but for now just remember it's "NRG Custom Cables".
Cheers!
Attachment:
6 - Business Card.jpg
6 - Business Card.jpg [ 85.89 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]
Attachment:
NRG Custom Cables logo.jpg
NRG Custom Cables logo.jpg [ 110.48 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]

Designed by Math & Science,
not marketing

"We use art to decorate space, we use music to decorate time"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:26 pm 
Premium User

kstrobbe wrote:
I would NOT recommend using those banana pins that employ a threaded center pin to tighten. After paying extra for this type of banana I found them extremely easy to strip.
IMO the simplest and most foolproof banana ends are the Nordost Z plug or the very similar bananas offered by Wireworld which are a split tube configuration.

Thank-you for the advice!
I do really like those Z plugs, but I was unsure about how tight they fit [I've never used them personally], and I was having a tough time trying to find those pins on a body that would support the weight/gauges I want to work with [4 AWG at the amp end, and 8 AWG at the speaker end - for the bi-wired version, of course].
The opening for the wire needs to be over 5mm in diameter, and I would prefer an angled body.
Do you [or anyone else reading this, for that matter] have any thoughts about my concerns/preferences?
Cheers!

Nawaz

not marketing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:43 pm 

There are many variables which is why choice is important. The binding post of my speakers are only an inch or so off the ground, and even closer to the speaker’s plinth – angled banana plugs would stress the wire. A short amplifier on a stand may also have the same problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:34 pm 
Premium User

sthomas1049 wrote:
The binding post of my speakers are only an inch or so off the ground, and even closer to the speaker’s plinth... A short amplifier on a stand may also have the same problem.

Ah, good point about binding posts being close to the ground/shelf.
Any thoughts on those Z-type Banana pins on a straight body in those situations [or just in general]?

Nawaz

not marketing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:43 pm 

The rolled copper type? Think there are a few different names. I know them as Multi-Contact banana’s. Personally I think they are some of the best. Low mass and the rolled copper has enough give to easily fit into a banana plug but springs back once inserted making more of a contact. AND you can't beat their price!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:54 pm 
Premium User

ludiqueman wrote:
How about none?
All termination will add something to the sound (shortest path and less component/ junction/ solder point is often better...) It is often possible at the speaker end to use bare wire.

I would love to just leave the wire bare, but I'm trying to wrap my head around that.
When all is said and done, in its current form [again, just in my head at the moment] there will be 600 stands/wires at each of the amp terminals [4 AWG], and 300 at each of the speaker terminals [8 AWG]. While I am debating using Silver paste on the terminations to help tighten everything up [literally and figuratively], leaving 4800 strands of wire [for a bi-wired pair] just "hanging out" seems a little... well... nutty. Although nutty is right up my alley. :P
Am I crazy? [I'm probably going to regret asking that]

Nawaz

-- 18 Sep 2017 17:01 --

sthomas1049 wrote:
I know them as Multi-Contact banana’s. Personally I think they are some of the best!

Attachment:
Z Type bananas.jpg
Z Type bananas.jpg [ 43.29 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]
These are the pins I'm thinking of, though I doubt I would use something with these full-blown shell/bodies - I like beefy cables, but good gravy these would make the finished product HEAVY!

Nawaz

not marketing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:13 pm 

These are the Multi Contact I was taking about. They retail for less than $7/pr

Attachments:
index.jpg
index.jpg [ 4.01 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:13 pm 
Premium User

dr.joe wrote:
I've gradually migrated to SpeakON connectors. I can't see any reason to go back to binding posts.

Those are cool, and I see why they are becoming popular. An snug and easy fit is always desirable. :mrgreen:
However, I can't help but wonder what's going on inside that housing. What's being added or taken away? Not to mention the fact that I'm a little bit crazy when it comes to the gauges I tend to work with/gravitate towards, so I don't know if using these would even be possible. :?

-- 18 Sep 2017 17:18 --

sthomas1049 wrote:

Those are a good start, but I likes me some Rhodium :) , and I think I need a body/housing to squeeze 300 or 600 wires in to.
Do you know how large that opening is for the wire?

not marketing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 pm 

No I don’t, sorry. But wire could either be inserted into the opening (should it fit) or soldered to the outside then covered with heat shrink. Just an option and if experimenting will be a cheaper alternative. They are actually called Multi-Contact LS4 Banana Plug. No idea what the LS4 stands for.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:02 pm 

kstrobbe wrote:
I would NOT recommend using those banana pins that employ a threaded center pin to tighten. After paying extra for this type of banana I found them extremely easy to strip. I wrecked one and
after receiving a warranty replacemen was afraid to engage the pin defeating the whole purpose of the design. The cable manufacturer soon stopped offering them!

IMO the simplest and most foolproof banana ends are the Nordost Z plug or the very similar bananas offered by Wireworld which are a split tube configuration.
These are ideal for Maggies incidentally.

Deltrons are good too, they are all I use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:17 pm 

I really like bananas. They are delicious.

Banana plugs are what I've used for the last several years. But, I find, depending on the speaker, they can easily slip out, same goes for the amp, specially if you are using thicker cable (I'm currently using Ultralink Ambiance - a very heavy cable). But, depending on the speaker, they can be very tight going in as well! But, I generally know that they will work with about any speaker of decent quality, as most have banana capable terminals. Spades don't look like they would fit on my amp, even though there is a cutout on the 5 way terminal... It just looks too small to use anything thick, though I'm sure this may be just as good or better than bananas if I had one that would fit. At least, it would be clamped down fairly hard and make a secure connection. But then it'd be a pain in the ass to have the wire going up or down and then bend it (we're talking garden hose thick wire though).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:31 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:

I have these on a couple of pairs of Cardas speaker cables and I find they fit well when new but quickly became loose fitting if you play musical speakers like I tend to do. I think part of the problem is that not all speaker terminals are the same inside diameter and these don't compensate for that the way a lot of banana connectors do by having some kind of spring loaded element in their construction.