Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Can spade plugs fit on your amp terminals?
Yes, the terminals have enough room to fit just about anything 66%  66%  [ 29 ]
Nope, I only have enough room for Banana's [or bare] 30%  30%  [ 13 ]
It's a crap shoot, the spades would have to be pretty narrow 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 44
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:06 pm 
Premium User

Hi all,

I am working on a new speaker cable design, and I'm looking for your thoughts on terminations.
What do you like? Why?
What fits on your amp and what doesn't?
Let me know!
Cheers!

Nawaz Ghani
Owner/Mad Scientist
NRG Custom Cables
"Designed by Math & Science, not marketing"

"We use art to decorate space, we use music to decorate time"

Designed by Math & Science,
not marketing

Last edited by nrg1275 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:47 am 

if the plan is to make them heavy like your power cables then I suggest spades at the speaker end. Spades don't always work at the amp end though, depending on the layout of the back. Thick ones can be even more restrictive. I had PS Audio with spades and they were difficult to place at the amp end, I could only fit them on one amp and sold them because of this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:51 am 

Of the amps I have in use right now:
Simaudio Moon W3 will take all three
Linn Intek will only take bananas
YBA Integre DT has 2 set of posts - 1 set will take all three and the other just bananas
Audiolab 8000A will take all three
NEC Authentic AUA 7000E will just take bare wires or small spades.
Maverick Tube Magic D1 will take all three
As for speakers, all will take all three except the Minimus 7's and the DCM TF500's. (Energy 22 Reference, Totem Model 1, NHT SB3 and Superzero, Triangle Titus 202)
I have never liked spades at all - typically all I use is bananas (but will also use bare wire). They are just way easier to use - but they have to have a snug fit or I would revert to bare wire. But as stated above it really is all about the connection and in some cases spades are definitely warranted.
Cheers and good luck in your endeavor
jp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:45 am 

I use banana plugs, because they are easy to install. Spades vary tremendously in terms of size and shape, which makes them more of a challenge. It comes down to how often do you take things apart either to clean or try new cables? If you change things or clean frequently, then spades can be annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:09 am 

I would rather use banana as they are much easier to install, but the end has to be wide enough that a good push is required to get them in. Spades will hold better if you have the room, but can be a pain. Unfortunately some units do not give you a choice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:15 am 

All of the amps I have in use now will accept spades but I have recently just sold an amp that only took banana's so they're out there. Also if you go with spades I would suggest you at least make some jumpers with banana connectors for speakers with multiple terminals. I should mention that I have five systems running now, all using banana's. 8)

Last edited by KJT1 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:30 am 

I had ordered cables with oversized spades at the speaker and bananas at the amp end. When I switched out my amps the new ones would only take the spades, so I had to flip the cables around. Unfortunately I had to ditch my jumpers and go back to those factory metal plate things. I suppose I could try to put spades on the jumpers. Long story short, I don't think their is always a one size fits all.

-- 17 Sep 2017 13:31 --

I had ordered cables with oversized spades at the speaker and bananas at the amp end. When I switched out my amps the new ones would only take the spades, so I had to flip the cables around. Unfortunately I had to ditch my jumpers and go back to those factory metal plate things. I suppose I could try to put spades on the jumpers. Long story short, I don't think there is always a one size fits all.

Last edited by Canadiansnowland on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:40 am 

There is not a one size fits all so giving the consumer a choice is probably the best way to implement this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:54 am 

Give the people a choice, that seems to be the best solution.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:17 am 

I've gradually migrated to SpeakON connectors.

Can't think of any reason to go back to binding posts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:48 pm 
Premium User

Hey guys,

Awesome feedback, thanks! 8)
I will always give my clients a choice for terminations, but I wanted to see if there is any sort of consensus for a "default" build.

I figured that Spades at the speaker end would almost be a given [again, as a "default" build], because the greater surface area of Spades is preferred as a "permanent" termination, and the vast majority of speaker terminals will accommodate them.
However, I also know that amps can be a little finicky about accommodating Spades, hence floating that poll [thanks for all the responses, by the way]. I wanted to hear what "the masses" had to say about what fits on their amps!

A quick note about the potential use of Banana's:
For those of you who have had a love/hate relationship with Banana's, let me be clear - the ones I would use have a really cool center "locking" pin that you turn which pushes the walls of the pin out for really tight fit, and the body of the plug is angled. So the bottom line is this - the 2 things that drove you bonkers about Banana's [loose fit and odd angles] will be eliminated if these plugs are used.

Designed by Math & Science,
not marketing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:05 pm 

Spades scare me a bit..if the terminals are close together I worry about them moving and touching each other.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 am 

How about none?
All termination will add something to the sound (shortest path and less component/ junction/ solder point is often better...) It is often possible at the speaker end to use bare wire. And on some amps too. If this is the case, give it a try, you might get slightly better sound this way.

Not as practical tough. But once you're happy with a certain wire/ cable set-up, go the extra mile, be brave, and cut the ends!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 am 

Do you have a website for your products? when i search by your brand, all i get is Audioquest, as they use the same name.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:09 pm 

I would NOT recommend using those banana pins that employ a threaded center pin to tighten. After paying extra for this type of banana I found them extremely easy to strip. I wrecked one and
after receiving a warranty replacemen was afraid to engage the pin defeating the whole purpose of the design. The cable manufacturer soon stopped offering them!

IMO the simplest and most foolproof banana ends are the Nordost Z plug or the very similar bananas offered by Wireworld which are a split tube configuration.
These are ideal for Maggies incidentally.